• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No Place to Attach Headlight Switch

I am positive beyond a doubt that I am not alone dealing with a broken up dash core frame from a wreck or break-in or the famous familiar quote I hate to hear “What Ever” , it explains everything. Something happened to cause your plastic Dash Frame Core Assembly to break. Age could be the biggest factor or a combination of age and all of the above. Hopefully somebody has done this and would share the how to results on the Forum.

My 1998 12 valve Dash Frame Core Assembly is in pitiful shape. Cracked from door to door in several key places like the A/C controls that had screws or a screw in the bottom plate but the top plate was completely gone so the Bezel was holding it in place. With some luck I found the pieces laying in the dash and reassembled it adding an additional screw at the top since the other holes were gone. The head light switch had been wired or rigged in a way to try and hold it but it moved around. Bouncing around as I drove but I thought it was something I could tighten. Besides the headlight switch being all up in the air, the Bezel is shot too, very brittle, and broke in several places. I have removed many but this one was a joke. I decided to sell this truck but couldn’t pass this on to a new owner knowing there has to be a way to make it work and be cosmetic again. The following is what I did to make it look NORMAL again.

I used Loctite 2-part epoxy plastic glue because in was thick and didn’t run down the Bezel like Gorilla 2-part epoxy plastic glue. You need to clean all surfaces being glued, If it’s a slick surface you might want to score it up some to give the glue something to bite into. I also used the Loctite to fill holes that were broke out. I predrilled with a small bit to attach screws again.

IMG_2564.JPG.7067d9029c3ec86e46775f8fd5e265af.JPG  

I had several pictures of the broken or cracked areas but the hole where the headlight switch bolts in is the main issue so what I fixed and repaired on the rest worked out fine.

IMG_2625.JPG.38bb3061c40ca19484c12a7e60f1fd43.JPG 

I bought a used Bezel on eBay, best investment I made. Great shape and an exact match for the 12 volt accessory and air bag switch.

I found some screen door clips and put them together so they would pinch the edge of the vent on the Bezel since there was nothing but a hole in the Dash Core. The entire time I had to constantly center the switch but with the first set of clips in place I could tack it in and set up on the next one. Repeating the process and then gluing it all to stay.

IMG_2557.JPG.cf49b1c8cb1e1a0cffca07a6adcd621d.JPG  IMG_2553.JPG.8d569f9f1cf43e858cfe817421689279.JPG  IMG_2552.JPG.48a69ab0fa5cf0ec35711214e1714d96.JPG  IMG_2558.JPG.5bf05a5c0f8d138448171e61a720f8e4.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG.8aafef77167f3d47f5b5600074953728.JPG  IMG_2570.JPG.255e4f207eea87b493dd9b2bde927ab6.JPG This picture with the metal chair in the background shows what I mean by centering the switch so it sits correctly

The screen door clips would pinch tight enough to hold the location. Once it did I always used to switch to hold it and flipped it over checking the front as expressed above. The Loctite set up fast, a few minutes and you could relax and load it up with some more. The glue running down from the clip is the Gorilla Glue.

IMG_2566.JPG.a3d9b6922523a6fc2474f64f033a65a7.JPG   IMG_2567.JPG.e0475779a02262ffee89979f1d0188e8.JPG You can see once the switch and two points of contact are established the third and finial can be fitted. 

IMG_2568.JPG.42e4c1303cf0615d515af7c4a24f1b5f.JPG  IMG_2569.JPG.6c99c436c950897d4cf185c28b8238a6.JPG  IMG_2560.JPG.894e1b15c6a1111a3a7b6d5f547d6998.JPG  IMG_2571.JPG.0b6daf9cd709ad7fc946fcbb944a0aec.JPG

The last location I used washers to get the screw set at the right height to hold the clip as level as needed. I applied two layers of epoxy glue and double nutted it all which I didn't take any pictures of. 

IMG_2572.JPG.55b67d1431caad6eeb607898d650d2f7.JPG  Finished. It's rock solid. I made it a point not to over tighten, and no I don't have any torque numbers to throw out there.

IMG_2628.JPG.1351717de4ac2149726d6d864bcf669a.JPG  IMG_2629.JPG.1280bdc91c7dda5dc56ce8dfc47e5ada.JPG  Bach in the truck and looking good, the entire dash looks new again. Pretty sad for a truck with this mileage

Hope this will help somebody or get the wheels turning. It's a shame to pay so much for a Dash Core Frame Assembly and then almost half again for shipping. If I had the money and was restoring or had a truck that was perfect all the way around and the Core got damaged maybe I would buy one. This is the best I could do and by the looks of it I saved maybe $900.00. I can live with that. Thanks

Edited by Greenlee
one picture too many
  • Like 1

My 02 is starting to have similar problems.  The dash has been cracked for a while now and just starting to totally fall apart.  Other plastics are starting to degrade too.  My bezel cover broke in half last time I removed it, the ashtray hinges broke off completely, the glove box door is almost cracked in half and I'm waiting for something else to disintegrate.  It would cost me almost a grand to replace what has broken so far. 

I'm not messing with the plastic anymore.  I decided that I'm going to rip it all out and build my own dashboard/center console like the way I want it and then glass it in instead.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 6:37 AM, Dieselfuture said:

Thanks for the Post

Man that sucks, hopefully not all the trucks are going to suffer from that.

Well I hope not too, I wish I had removed the Bezel and plastic piece inside the glove box to take a look at it's condition. Anyway you look at it your work is cut out for you. My only concern is this might get the wheels turning for others with similar issues. Thanks

On 10/18/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bullet said:

My 02 is starting to have similar problems.  The dash has been cracked for a while now and just starting to totally fall apart.  Other plastics are starting to degrade too.  My bezel cover broke in half last time I removed it, the ashtray hinges broke off completely, the glove box door is almost cracked in half and I'm waiting for something else to disintegrate.  It would cost me almost a grand to replace what has broken so far. 

I'm not messing with the plastic anymore.  I decided that I'm going to rip it all out and build my own dashboard/center console like the way I want it and then glass it in instead.  

Yours is really torn up but I think you are on the right track to fabricate your own, If you have to remove the broken up Dash Core you would have a pattern to improve on or work with to make things work again. Let us know what you come up with and the steps involved. I would like to see it

On 10/18/2018 at 11:35 AM, 015point9 said:

To me always interesting what people use to improvise,  and many times better than oem.  I never would of thought of screen door clips. Good job.

After I set the headlight switch in position on the backside of the Bezel it gave me an idea of the height but no idea of what I could improvise with. The clips jumped out at me as something to start with but I believe all good things come from above. the rest fell in place and I am thankful for that. Thank you, us Dodge owners need all the help we can get at times

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greenlee said:

Well I hope not too, I wish I had removed the Bezel and plastic piece inside the glove box to take a look at it's condition. Anyway you look at it your work is cut out for you. My only concern is this might get the wheels turning for others with similar issues. Thanks

Yours is really torn up but I think you are on the right track to fabricate your own, If you have to remove the broken up Dash Core you would have a pattern to improve on or work with to make things work again. Let us know what you come up with and the steps involved. I would like to see it

Will do...I'll probably do a large thread about it with pics and all.  Thanks for the tip on it...I'll take any others that you have on it.  I have been studying custom dashboards in other vehicles and doing alot of brainstorming about framing and materials.  It should be a fun project...lots of work too. 

1 minute ago, Bullet said:

Will do...I'll probably do a large thread about it with pics and all.  Thanks for the tip on it...I'll take any others that you have on it.  I have been studying custom dashboards in other vehicles and doing alot of brainstorming about framing and materials.  It should be a fun project...lots of work too. 

I think it would be a fun project and rewarding to know that you fixed the problem with the core and didn't spend a $1,000 doing it. There are a lot of How To on making a dash and Bezels on YouTube. A pile on materials that can be used. I think it would be great to find another avenue and not be at the mercy of the salvage yards wanting too much $$$$$$$ for a 20 year old part. I'm sure you will have the support of the entire Forum. I bet if you had a fiberglass core replacement it would sell. Good luck and keep us posted

1 minute ago, Greenlee said:

I think it would be a fun project and rewarding to know that you fixed the problem with the core and didn't spend a $1,000 doing it. There are a lot of How To on making a dash and Bezels on YouTube. A pile on materials that can be used. I think it would be great to find another avenue and not be at the mercy of the salvage yards wanting too much $$$$$$$ for a 20 year old part. I'm sure you will have the support of the entire Forum. I bet if you had a fiberglass core replacement it would sell. Good luck and keep us posted

YouTube does have some pretty good stuff about it...I've been study alot custom cars too since they do some pretty cool things.  I'll definitely share all the trials and tribulations...and I'll need the luck too. ?

8 minutes ago, Bullet said:

YouTube does have some pretty good stuff about it...I've been study alot custom cars too since they do some pretty cool things.  I'll definitely share all the trials and tribulations...and I'll need the luck too. ?

I'm sure it will be better than any custom job you have already looked at, bring it on, you got plenty of viewers.