• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm looking to get new tires and thanks to @Mopar1973Man and few other reviews I'm thinking about getting these Hankook ATm in 265/70/17 E rated.

Currently I have Toyo Open Country at2 in 285/70/17 and they are OK tire, but not as good as its hyped up. I had one crack in between tread on me in a first month of ownership, but it's been 4 years now and the crack hasn't grown. I put same set on my work truck f350 (265/70/17) and they are almost gone after 25k, and have some tiny cracks all over them, like they are 10 years old.

What made me lean this direction to go smaller is few things. One is I got a used set of rims and tires of 03 with some junky 265/70/17 BF Rugget Trail but right of way gained 2mpg speedo accounted for, and two easier steering and take offs in 2nd gear and just less load going down the road. 

After having these used 265s on the truck I'm starting to get used to smaller look, but still looks better then 245 :shifty:  I just can't climb over that hump to put 245s on :shrug:

Anyway part of this post is to say thanks for convincing me to a smaller size and Hankook brand and the other part is I was going to see what everyone else runs for size/brand and how you like it. Maybe overall mpgs to compare tire size vs gear ratio vs everything else. I think we'll see a bigger picture that way. 

Also what sites do you use to get tires, so far I've looked at tirerack, tirebuyer, and (tire-easy.com which seems to be cheapest but have no experience with them.)

Another thing I want to mention is these Hankook being a China tires are not much cheaper in this size and rating, I was expecting it to be in $500 range for a set of 4. They must be getting popular enough now that prices went up :think:

So let's hear your thoughts 

I was planning to buy the ATMs but i found a used set of Wranglers almost new for 300$. I will likely get the Hankook tires next time. We get a lot of vehicles at the shop wiith the Dynapros and most of them are wearing real crappy but i think its mostly neglect to rotate and keep the rest of the front end in shipshape. Im currently shopping for some 3;55 axles and im going to downsize to 245s likely. Its obviously the way to go. I also think i could see mpg gains with the 3;55s.Between MPGs and the extended life of front end parts etc i think i can pay off some used axles quickly. i found a axle locally for 500$ that im calling on this morning. Hopefully i can grab it for like 450. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just under $950 for the set of four 245/75 R16. 

Is that include dismount and mount balance etc? 

This place has 265 for $720 shipped, but I never delt with them

https://www.tires-easy.com/265-70-17/hankook-tires/dynapro-atm-rf10/tirecode/2001383

1 hour ago, NIsaacs said:

$500 for a set of 4 tires, where you been, Lol

Yeah I know, just hearing others talk like they are so much cheaper and better and all, I was wondering same thing. If I'm only saving 100 on the whole set then I'll get something better, but what is it? that's better. I thought buying Toyos was a good idea, being made in USA and all, we'll not always... but I know they were less then $1000 shipped to my door in 285s size, so these Chinese tires in 245s for $950 that @Mopar1973Man is getting just seems high, but then again if they last and wear better then the American made, I guess why not.

51 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

We get a lot of vehicles at the shop wiith the Dynapros and most of them are wearing real crappy but i think its mostly neglect to rotate and keep the rest of the front end in shipshape.

I think it's with any tire you get, some say one thing some say the other. But in a nutshell hankooks seem to get good reviews compared to others.

I was thinking about BFG ko2 but they look heavier and some say they wear out quick, but made in USA, so idk :ahhh:

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

I think the Hankook's are made in Korea if that matters. $950 seems high, but it depends on how much competition the area has. I just bought a set of Hercules for the '91, 235/85x16 Terra Trac ATII for $788.82 out the door, on the truck, made in USA. 

• Like 1

I am still on 265's and going to stay there. I just dont tow enough to warrant the 245's. And I can still get 19.5 to 20 mpg on the interstae. I am on my 3rd set of Cooper ATP's. I averaged 63k on the first 2 sets, but for some reason I am in the high 70's on this set and will go somewhere between 80 and 85k. I have run pressure lower on this set, 55 in front and 45 to 50 in the rear. I have also run alot highway miles the past 1.5 years. I know that helps. The Coopers have served me well and I will stick with them. They are probably right at $950 at Discount Tire and includes free replacement if I destroy one for what ever reason no matter the wear on the tire. Thats is about $22 of the cost per tire. They have honored that warranty any time I have destroyed the tire.  Destroyed one in Iowa and sis not bring it back with and still honored the warranty.

• Like 1

Well, got a set of hankook dynapro atm in 265/70/17 10 ply coming for every day use for $700 to my door with free replacement for life of tires if I tear a hole in them. From Discounttiredirect.com they honored the price of their store that is discounttirer.com and the guy on the phone did some more magic and that's the outcome. So hopefully they do better then some crappy tires made in USA these days. Just not sure if I want white letters facing in or out.

Also I'm going to get a set of some mud and snow tires in 285/70/17 to put on my steel rims that I can use in winter, maybe something like duratracs or similar knoby style. Not concerned about bigger tires for winter as I'm not going to tow and not concerned about mpg in winter ether.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Owner
On 10/21/2018 at 9:15 PM, Marcus2000monster said:

a set of 235/85/16 studded snow tires for the winter

LOL. Studded tires. I always laugh at that. I had one set of studded tires once. When you need to be towed out of a flat parking lot because your studded tires cannot get traction on the ice. Time to give up the idea. Since then I've run just a good AT tire and never looked back. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:52 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Well, got a set of hankook dynapro atm in 265/70/17 10 ply coming for every day use for $700 to my door with free replacement for life of tires if I tear a hole in them. From Discounttiredirect.com they honored the price of their store that is discounttirer.com and the guy on the phone did some more magic and that's the outcome. So hopefully they do better then some crappy tires made in USA these days. Just not sure if I want white letters facing in or out.

Also I'm going to get a set of some mud and snow tires in 285/70/17 to put on my steel rims that I can use in winter, maybe something like duratracs or similar knoby style. Not concerned about bigger tires for winter as I'm not going to tow and not concerned about mpg in winter ether.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What is it going to cost for mounting, balancing, and the occasional rotation?

36 minutes ago, dripley said:

What is it going to cost for mounting, balancing, and the occasional rotation?

I mount tires by hand, had to pay 20 to get other ones off the rims, if they were steel I would of done it but they are 4th gen alloys. For balance I'll toss beads back in before I air up tire and set the bead, part of the reason I mount myself. I rotate them usually once a year or 7-8k when doing oil change. Don't want any monkeys cross threading my lug nuts and not using proper torque, so I pretty much do everything possible myself. 

I'm sure day will come when I'll have someone else doing it.

So hopefully will only cost a bit of time and a beer or two, life time balance too, gets rebalanced everytime you drive it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

For balance I'll toss beads back in before I air up tire and set the bead, part of the reason I mount myself. 

So hopefully will only cost a bit of time and a beer or two, life time balance too, gets rebalanced everytime you drive it.

Instead of digging up your old thread on the beads. What brand did you go with and quantity? I'm guessing you're still happy with them. 

17 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I mount tires by hand, had to pay 20 to get other ones off the rims, if they were steel I would of done it but they are 4th gen alloys. For balance I'll toss beads back in before I air up tire and set the bead, part of the reason I mount myself. I rotate them usually once a year or 7-8k when doing oil change. Don't want any monkeys cross threading my lug nuts and not using proper torque, so I pretty much do everything possible myself. 

I'm sure day will come when I'll have someone else doing it.

While I do a lot a stuff to my truck, mounting tires has and never will be one I have a desire to do. The balancing beads do interest me. Read alot of good things here about them. Do you reuse them or replace them with the new tires?

1 hour ago, BBHD said:

Instead of digging up your old thread on the beads. What brand did you go with and quantity? I'm guessing you're still happy with them. 

Counteract beads, I'd have to see how many Oz I used on 285s, I got it written down at home. Probably will put little less in 265s. They seem to work in larger tires better imo, I put some in my Accord and sometimes it's perfect and others it shakes, I'll hit the washboard and it gets better. 

1 hour ago, dripley said:

While I do a lot a stuff to my truck, mounting tires has and never will be one I have a desire to do. The balancing beads do interest me. Read alot of good things here about them. Do you reuse them or replace them with the new tires?

When i took tires in to get dismounted I told them about beads and be carful not to dump them out. He said he wasn't really trying that hard to keep them inside. I used a vacuum and sucked up old ones out and they looked like new, so I'll reuse them. Also some said they chew tires up inside but mine were fine, few small rubber pieces mixed in with beads that I picked out and I mean tiny tiny ones nothing that concerned me.

Not really sure how many times you can reuse them, I think they got some coating on them. Some use SS beads and swear by them, I already had some glass ones so that's what I used.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BBHD said:

What brand did you go with and quantity? 

I used 10oz in 285/70/17 but I think it may be too much according to this https://www.counteractbalancing.com/application-calculator/

I think I did use like 8 Oz to start with but had a slight shake so I added 2 more. So I'll probably put 8 Oz in 265/70/17 and go from there. It's easy to put them in when the bead is off and a pita through valve stem. Also I got some fancy valve cores that are longer spring loaded with filter, so beads don't get stuck in between and they definitely do with regular stems. The ones that come with counteracts are better but I still had beads trying to get in between so I got these now.

https://www.amazon.com/TyreBeads-Tire-Balancing-Beads-Filtered/dp/B00LTCL0H0