• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CONTROL ARMS and BALL JOINTS

Shopping for parts for my 01 3500 24valve 2WD 6spd Qcab that will be pulling a 40' flatbed. The front end refirb is what parts i'm looking for starting with polyurethane bushings, are they worth the extra exspence? Will they last longer from normal wear, chemical attack and are they more prone to squeak an make noise? Also looking at part drawings the ball joints are pressed into a hole or boss in the control arms, my ball joints are bolted onto the arms and the boss is msg. I've noticed some of the bolt holes going thru the control arms are elongated, is this control arm/bj a factory mod? is this a model differrance? I prefer the bolt on style but the elongated bolt holes concern me, will this get more elongated? affect my alignment? If yes now would be the time to change the C arms with elongated holes but not all 4 arms are elongated and i want all the same bolt on type, can i buy the bolt on bj type or do i have to mod the press on C arm? Also going to replace lwr C arm attachment bolts, should i buy cam bolts? Moving on 4 new bolt on ball joints w/zerks, need help on where and what to buy with price an longevity being top consideration. Next is bearing hubs, ABS sensors and wires and new brake hoses again where and what to buy with price and longevity? Now springs and ride height, i know raising the front will cost me fuel mileage and front end part longevity, planing on rear airbags for loaded ride height and stability, my concern is unloaded stability when the speed will be higher, would lowering the rear 2" to level the ride unloaded make a cost effective improvement? I'm not experienced enough to make this call an will be hiring drivers. I know this is a tall list, and i will an do appreciate all the help i can get.  thx.

1 hour ago, rambo said:

Shopping for parts for my 01 3500 24valve 2WD 6spd Qcab that will be pulling a 40' flatbed. The front end refirb is what parts i'm looking for starting with polyurethane bushings, are they worth the extra exspence? Depends on your preferences.  Will they last longer from normal wear, chemical attack and are they more prone to squeak an make noise? They will last longer than rubber and are chemical resistant but are more prone to squeak if not lubricated.  They are stiffer than rubber.  Also looking at part drawings the ball joints are pressed into a hole or boss in the control arms, my ball joints are bolted onto the arms and the boss is msg. You got lucky, those are easier to change than the press ins.  Your bottom ones will be press in however.  I've noticed some of the bolt holes going thru the control arms are elongated, is this control arm/bj a factory mod? Those are for alignment purposes.  The washer is cammed on to the bolt so the bolt can be turned and slide back and forth through the slot via the washer making the alignment adjustment.  is this a model differrance? I prefer the bolt on style but the elongated bolt holes concern me, will this get more elongated? affect my alignment? If yes now would be the time to change the C arms with elongated holes but not all 4 arms are elongated and i want all the same bolt on type, can i buy the bolt on bj type or do i have to mod the press on C arm? Also going to replace lwr C arm attachment bolts, should i buy cam bolts? Cam bolts go where the elongated holes are, regular bolts where circular holes are. Moving on 4 new bolt on ball joints w/zerks, need help on where and what to buy with price an longevity being top consideration. No better than XRF ball joints with a million mile warranty...they are pricey but worth it.  Next is bearing hubs, ABS sensors and wires and new brake hoses again where and what to buy with price and longevity? Now springs and ride height, i know raising the front will cost me fuel mileage and front end part longevity, planing on rear airbags for loaded ride height and stability, my concern is unloaded stability when the speed will be higher, would lowering the rear 2" to level the ride unloaded make a cost effective improvement? I wouldn't think so, the rear should be stable at stock height at any unloaded speed with 4 tires on the ground back there.  It might look cooler but that's it.  I'm not experienced enough to make this call an will be hiring drivers. I know this is a tall list, and i will an do appreciate all the help i can get.  thx.

Did my best to answer what I could in bold above.  

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1