Jump to content
Towrigdually

Towing air bag recommendations

Recommended Posts

Looking to help with the heavy loads but I find online with most kits They say I need 8" between the frame and the inner dual tire. 

 

Does anyone have a kit that perhaps mounts different that'll bolt up or tell me I don't need that much space, currently only have 6"   On the truck. 

Edited by Towrigdually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed an air spring kit on a 3rd gen 2500 a couple of months ago for a guy that was hauling a fifth wheel that was a bit heavy on the 2500 suspension. He got the kit from 4 wheel parts.

 

The kit was like this one...https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/firestone-ride-rite-rear-air-helper-spring-kit-2071/_/R-BBQZ-2071

Edited by 04Mach1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Towrigdually said:

Looking to help with the heavy loads but I find online with most kits They say I need 8" between the bed fender and the inner dual tire. 

Do you mean between the frame and the inner dual tire?  Because the air bag frame bolts to the frame and centers on the spring pack.  I would think that if you had 3 inches between the outside of the spring pack and the inner edge of the inner tire you should be good.  I had Firestone bags before and that's about the space I had.  The bed fender never figured into the spacing cuz the bags were below it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bullet said:

Do you mean between the frame and the inner dual tire?  Because the air bag frame bolts to the frame and centers on the spring pack.  I would think that if you had 3 inches between the outside of the spring pack and the inner edge of the inner tire you should be good.  I had Firestone bags before and that's about the space I had.  The bed fender never figured into the spacing cuz the bags were below it. 

 

yss correct, don't know why I said bed. But it's good to know you had room with that brand. Firestone is what I'm finding to be the one that needs less room to install anyways online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had good luck with the Firestone bags.  The quick connect fittings that came with them always leaked where the hose connected.  Not a bad leak but would have to put more air in if I let it sit for 12 hours.  A change to compression fittings would have fixed that issue.  Otherwise it's a capable setup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bullet said:

I had good luck with the Firestone bags.  The quick connect fittings that came with them always leaked where the hose connected.  Not a bad leak but would have to put more air in if I let it sit for 12 hours.  A change to compression fittings would have fixed that issue.  Otherwise it's a capable setup. 

The air brake tubing ends have to be cut exactly square with crisp sharp edges to seal in quick connect fittings. 

 

Something like this works wonderful to cut air brake tubing when quick connect fittings are used. https://m.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-4-to-1-in-PEX-pipe-cutter/1000400523

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That might have been what I did wrong then...cuz I just cut it with my blade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your sig line you have turn over ball.  I've got 3/4 ton and 2001 and not enough room for both lower bag brackets and turn over ball brackets.  Maybe dually is different or year model might make a difference?  Brand name was pacbrake from geno's.    Other brands maybe ok, I dont know.  Mine leaked, then i re-cut  with actual tubing cutter and solved leaks, and haven't touched them in 5 or so years, no problems.  My Tubing cutter is like plyiers with a razor blade built in.  I used air brake tubing. Drilling into frame sure made me re-measure couple times before actually drilling.  Not cheap but sure helps towing and good ride with 1000 pound tongue weight trailer.  If none of the brands have enough room for you, I've seen some pic's online of handy work done by welders to get both on.  

Edited by 015point9
Add info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 015point9 said:

In your sig line you have turn over ball.  I've got 3/4 ton and 2001 and not enough room for both lower bag brackets and turn over ball brackets.  Maybe dually is different or year model might make a difference?  Brand name was pacbrake from geno's.    Other brands maybe ok, I dont know.  Mine leaked, then i re-cut  with actual tubing cutter and solved leaks, and haven't touched them in 5 or so years, no problems.  My Tubing cutter is like plyiers with a razor blade built in.  I used air brake tubing. Drilling into frame sure made me re-measure couple times before actually drilling.  Not cheap but sure helps towing and good ride with 1000 pound tongue weight trailer.  If none of the brands have enough room for you, I've seen some pic's online of handy work done by welders to get both on.  

 

Yes the turn over ball is also part of the issue, I love it but boy does it interfere with airbag mounting. 

Im doubtful the 3500 trucks are different from 2500, they both have overloads and leafs mount in the same location so if it comes down to it and I have to finnesse then into place then so be it, just another reason for me to practice my welding skills lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosgarage.com/downloads/InstallPDF/PacbrakeHP10019.pdf

 

 

2) Check the vehicle to see if it is equipped with a 5th Wheel Hitch. Some 5th wheel hitches require brackets to be mounted to the frame in the same locations as the air spring brackets (if this is the case, modifications of the 5th wheel hitch brackets may be required to mount this kit). Please contact Pacbrake at 800.663.0096) 

 

 

When I called them when I did mine and they were pretty good about info. But my final decision I just took off turn over ball brackets as we went to a trailer vs 5th wheel couple years before.  If they use a shop/welder near them, might be worth it to just have them do what works best. .  They are north of us in Vancouver BC  Maybe you can even buy them from them.  Saves shipping them from Vancouver BC to Geno's in Georgia and then back within 100 miles where they started from.  

While I've had no problems I have noticed that Firestone bags are available at more places than Pacbrake, if you ever need replacement. 

Mine are 2 separate lines, so air doesn't bleed over one side to another.  Both valves come up underneath left side board.  If I use a 12 volt air compressor, valves are close to cig lighter/compressor.  

Edited by 015point9
info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same issue with turnover ball mounting hardware being in the way, so I had to redesign the kit and make my own brackets. So my airbags are not sitting on top of leaf spring, instead they are mounted directly under the frame and sit on bottom out blocks we're robber stoppers used to be.

This guy does pretty good job in my opinion I would do something like that to airbags. Looks like around 7 minutes he is discussing it.

https://youtu.be/xrFtvfu_OJE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Here are few pictures, kinda can tell what I did.

20181023_174400.jpg.271d836c8b5e33a959cfc40e6f6e944b.jpg20181023_174449.jpg.8c3c1e6ad22ae7d99e5ccc25ff4507ab.jpg

I've been thinking of doing mine the same way, it shouldn't interfere with the turnover ball stuff if I use some 1/4" angle going from the frame to the bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When mine are at 5 pounds, (the min psi pacbrake says to have in them, loaded or unloaded) mine are very close to rubbing.  If you are thinking about other stuff hellwig has a few set ups I like. But you need to talk with them to get something you want, not what sounds good on their web page.  No little stones rubbing holes in bag, if one bounces in there.  No air leaks.  But also not as adjustable for different weight loads as air bags are.  

 

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well i believe after enough searching i found a kit thatll bolt right up with the bed hitch without causing me any issues. if it does i believe theyll be minor compared to the others. bolts to the inside of the axle such as @Dieselfuture mount does.

 

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Dodge/Ram+Pickup/2001/F2220.html?vehicleid=20011009447

Edited by Towrigdually
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, I don't think that kit was available when I did mine or I would of went with it. Looks like someone finally figured it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×