• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

will it tow

Yeah, but it will run hot. Change the tires out and get the gear ratio down to 3.73 and it will tow like a crazy mule without getting hot. Your tire size will make your final ratio 3.42:1 which is too tall for towing. This will drive the EGT's up in top gear regardless. To keep the tires you would have to change your axle gears to 3.73 to just to bring you back 3.55 gearing. 4.10 gear would get you back to 3.73 final ratio. 

I've got DAP 7 x 0.0085 injectors (75 HP), HX 35/40 (60/60/12), and the Quadzilla Adrenaline with 245/75 R16 tires. With a final gear ratio of 3.69:1. I can stand on the throttle on 6% grade and never reach 1,200*F with my current tune on level 3. 

20181012_083048_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, oldhippie66@comcast.net said:

01 4x4 looking at sxe 62/68/12 dap 150s quad adren. current fass 150,4in ex, built auto tripple disc low stall conv,billet input 354 rear 285 tires

Throw a 475 in there underneath the 62 and it will tow anything you want...?  But like Mike said won't be fun with your current setup. 

I noticed in another forum, your total GCW is only 17k. Just watch your gauges and downshift when necessary. Use your tuner wisely when towing, you will be fine.

My '01 (6spd) tows just fine with 3.55's and 285's. I let my CTS control my EGT's and I control my ECT. When needed I down shift or drive slower. Gear ratio and tires size only matter if you want to accelerate fast or tow in top gear. I got no problem using 5th or even 4th. Is it the perfect towing set up, probably not, but who's is? Every rig, pretty much has a compromise somewhere. I don't tow as heavy as I used to so I might go back to 265's, I liked the extra capacity of the 285's (3750 lbs each). The 265's have way more choices, are cheaper and my tire chains will fit again.

• Like 2

• Owner

Like @Me78569 would say if you have to use limits to keep everything in check then you are doing something wrong. Either gear ratio is wrong or too much fuel is being used. This is where the Edge Juice comes up short and allowing better fuel management and any timing management. Surprising what proper timing can do for controlling EGT's too.

As for tires, you'll never get to use the full 3,750 capacity anyways. As GVWR 8,800 you axle weight front is only 2,600 for GAWR 5,200 and rear is 3,042 for GAWR 6,084. Unless you intentionally overloading the truck which 3,750 would allow 15,000 pounds if the truck could handle it. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like @Me78569 would say if you have to use limits to keep everything in check then you are doing something wrong. 

Isn't that why we have tuners? Are you saying you can tow heavy up White Bird with your tuner maxed out on a 100* day? Or do you "set limits" and turn it down?

As far as Dodge's GAW, GVW and GCW goes, I don't use them. If Dana says my rear axle is rated for 8k why should I use Dodges 6k? As far as just weight carrying goes I don't need 3750 lb rating, but on the Malapai rock and washboard roads I haul on, extra capacity is good for all the impacts I encounter. Then I get in blow sand...then I need the flotation of the 285's. 

Gear ratio and tire size, what does that matter when you have a 6spd? I can pick any final drive I need. I do need a bigger turbo, but since money don't grow on trees, I have to use mine until it dies.

My truck tows and tows well. I bought my last gooseneck dump trailer in February, it has never been unhooked. My truck and trailer has a tare weight of 14.5k....so based on the OP towing 17k GCW, I am almost loaded empty. Then the loader comes along and dumps in 6 ton......

gravel.jpeg

• Owner

Yes, I can tow up Whitebird with the Quadzilla on Level 3 and never reach 1,200F. It about proper timing and fuel management. My EGT limit is set high at 1400F and no boost limit. As for level 3 it just disables wiretap. The rest of the tune is active. Even Midvale grade and Fort Hall hill. Easy peezy.

Capture+_2018-10-23-04-50-41.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes, I can tow up Whitebird with the Quadzilla on Level 3 and never reach 1,200F.  As for level 3 it just disables wiretap. 

Capture+_2018-10-23-04-50-41.png

That's what I am talking about, disable wire tap is "setting limits"....

• Owner

Wiretap isn't a controllable as the CANBus. Basically, you can set the boost pressure its starts at and relationship to TPS. As for the CANBus fuel you can control much better. I might be able to add some wiretap back now with a few tweaks. I've found a way to pull enough retard of timing to build good boost and keeping the EGT's down empty with full wiretap. 

Again this is way beyond what the Edge Juice can do. 

25 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Again this is way beyond what the Edge Juice can do. 

I am sure that is a true statement, however, I can barely operate my smart phone. The Edge products have served me well for the last 15 years, they are user friendly and work as advertised. For three years ('14-'16) I sled pulled all over the Rocky Mountain States, not once did I see Quadzila plastered all over the big boys. Maybe because sled pullers are red necks and not computer experts.

It's about choices, if all our trucks were the same, there probably wouldn't be forums to share differences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

I am sure that is a true statement, however, I can barely operate my smart phone. The Edge products have served me well for the last 15 years, they are user friendly and work as advertised. For three years ('14-'16) I sled pulled all over the Rocky Mountain States, not once did I see Quadzila plastered all over the big boys. Maybe because sled pullers are red necks and not computer experts.

It's about choices, if all our trucks were the same, there probably wouldn't be forums to share differences.

I hear ya.

And I held that torch for a while...Just ask Me##### how much of a fuss I put up over no monitor support. Heck give me a y-splitter that lets me hook up both at once. I'd be happy with that lol. us old farts don't pick up new tricks as fast as we used to and like quick and simple like a monitor.

All these different menus and popups on screen of a cell phone and app crashing makes ya miss the good ol monitor.

apparently my monitor works with V2 tuning btw LOL seems to show gauges and be able to change power levels. Now tuning wise I still plug in the BT for the phone to load in the tune, but hey...I might be able to use V2 with a pulse monitor after all! :tease:

lol I can't imagine the **** show that would happen if you plugged a pv2 into a splitter lol.  you owuld have all sorts of data clashing.  

the pv2 screen will overwrite the settings in place with the V2 tuning and it will be a mess.    

:Let me repeat DO NOT run the pv2 screen on a V2 tune, you will not get what you think you should in your tune.  IE 1 tuning variable will come from the old school tunes and 1 will come from the v2 stuff then none might make it.  

• Owner
12 hours ago, jigabop said:

Heck give me a y-splitter that lets me hook up both at once. I'd be happy with that lol. us old farts don't pick up new tricks as fast as we used to and like quick and simple like a monitor.

I'm the reverse of you. I like going headless. No display at all. This way my truck appears to be stock or without a tuner. Now people are really puzzled when they ride with me when that truck takes off like a scalded dog. During my long travels my cellphone does three tasks. Quadzilla, MP3 music and handle phone calls (handfree). I'm completely set for voice commands. All audio is piped into the stereo. It's as close as I can get to a modern luxury vehicle without the price tag. 

Since I've already got gauges on the a-pillar I've really go no need for the Quadzilla to be displayed. Truthfully I rely on the a-pillar gauge way more that Quadzilla being most of the gauges on Quadzilla are incorrect like Pyrometer (+50*F), Boost (varies as boost rises), Vehicle speed (-1 always), etc. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I used for pyro, trans temp, corrected vehicle speed. pulse monitor was always nice and quick/accurate being wired in. I've noticed bluetooth has some lag and sometimes randomly disconnects and reconnects. 

Have thought about changing my A-pillar to add a pyro to it, but then I gotta find somewhere to put trans temp as well. Don't care for the dash mount cluster, have fuel pressure on the column, and have 2 boost gauges on the pillar with the pulse monitor mount on pillar as well...PM mount would be replaced with the triple pillar gauge mount to add the pyro.

Edited by jigabop