• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

emissions + quad v2

HELP! lol

Seriously though. 

I tried the ME#### "Large injector emissions tune" and she still smokes a bit too much free revving off idle on PL1 

Truck must go through the stupid diesel snap test which involves them putting a probe in the exhaust and then proceeding to put the pedal to the metal from idle till it reaches 2k RPM, then letting off till it settles back at idle, and repeating 5 more times (basically no load free-revving it. they don't dyno them here). If at any point it blows out more than 30% opacity it fails. 

Half the time they won't let the driver do the snap test, they get in and do it...so being lighter on the throttle physically is out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Truck is 2000 2500 4x4, 4.10s, 35's, 6-spd, SO-pump/engine, 6x.013 sac injectors (from Weston) S357/S475 compounds, 5" exhaust, studs, springs, push rods, airdog150 that's a decade old, DS-V modified liberty fuel module, gauges, IAT/CT fooler (high idle/winter MPG switch) SB3600DD clutch

I'm gonna try the attached tomorrow as it's a bit too late tonight to be free-revving it, but suggestions to improve the tune are more than welcome to help this thing pass!

EmissionsEdited.json

Edited by jigabop

1 hour ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

I couldnt pass smog in CA with a superchips i dont know how your gonna sneak compounds and huge injectors by

easy with only opacity testing 

7000' altitude towing my horse trailer snap throttle input take off.  

WOT take off

keep in mind that neirher of those videos are my emissions tune.  The emissions tune was recorded at %5 or %7 opacity under the tests they run here

35 lug down

45 mph lug down

55 mph lug down.

here is the datalog from the emissions

emissions datalog.PNG

Edited by Me78569

9 hours ago, Me78569 said:

the emissions tune is ment to be run on lvl 3, not lvl 1.  If you want to run on lvl1 then you should be adjusting the valet mode power setting down until you are happy.

now he tells me :P

I did figure out the valet bit poking around in there today. 28% valet mode seems to do a lot better, however sometimes when I quickly stab the pedal to the floor it seems the ECM is faster than the quad and lets a big puff out before dialing it back. hopefully they don't have a quick foot or let me do it lol.

I did play with power levels and setting it above 1 seemed to increase the smoke output. so 3 would be less than 2 for smoke??

I messed with valet mode settings a bit changing that % and 28% keeps the rev speed believable still while keeping the smoke amount lower. Much less than that revs waaay too slow and below like 10-15% it doesn't want to rev at all LOL sounds like a lope tune with it floored. :D

New tuning is cool, just a bit of a learning curve and I don't have much time before nasty weather sits in for the rest of the year to get this thing through emissions and back on the road. 

4 hours ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

I couldnt pass smog in CA with a superchips i dont know how your gonna sneak compounds and huge injectors by

They couldn't care less what you have under the hood. They never look under the hood. They just have you plug in a cord to the 12v outlet and follow the directions on the monitor which tells you when to floor it and let off.

1 hour ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

Im also trying to compare apples to oranges here between a superchips from 04 and the quad with unlimited capabilities.. and with compounds you have alot more air to clean up that exhaust as well. So i guess its a misconception on my part. 

In a diesel snap test turbos are meaningless as it is free revving with no load on the engine. only a couple things would help in that type of situation: supercharger, or n²o. VGT might help since you can close the vanes down enough to spool just off idle, but I don't have one of those.

2 is just your 0-10 psi settings up to %100 of duration and then timing.  lvl 3 is your full tuning map.  Lvls 2 and 3 should be nearly the same for smoke as they use the same settings.

Edit:

@jigabop  You dont have the pv2 plugged in still do you?   That would explain a lot of the confusion I have with your post.

First should note: it's a pv1 not pv2. Never had a v2 pulse. Have a tactile switch modded original ;)

And no it wasn't still plugged in. I just wanted to see if it would work for gauges. Like set via the phone and never change levels. Just gauges only. 

But no unplughed and have bt only hooked up to tune this thing and test. Emissions tune cleans it up slightly but not enough. Vallet mode however seems to be cleaning it up much better though! 28%

Don't get me wrong: i think that tune under load could probanly run pretty clean with boost, but snap test free revving in neutral is smokey still. The vallet mode tuning seems to be what might get it through emissions from what I've tried so far. 

I've attached my tune in the first post. Only change I've made is vallet mode %

valet mode has less smoothing in place so that is why you are seeing the difference.   the snap test is hard because that 1st duration command could be an ecm command or it might be a quad command.  

people never noticed it when the fueling is above stock, but you start to notice it when you are pulling fueling at a high rate.

Just an update.

I had to go through 3 different emissions booths at the place and a manager had to come out and clean the opacity reader. They were getting inconsistent opacity readings and temp not within range or whatever, but after the manager cleaned the reader...She passed! woot!

Thanks to everyone who helped and special thanks to Me78569 for all your hard work with the custom tuning!

I still don't like using the dumb phone to tune it, but at least I don't gotta go through that waiving emissions dance and paying an extra $200 every 2 years just to get it registered.