• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front axle centering

Hey guys/gals,

I just replaced my track bar with a Synergy 3rd Gen Upgrade track bar. I noticed my sway bar links are leaning over to the left, I'm assuming that's because the front axle isn't centered. This bar is adjustable and to my understanding the axle is centered via this feature.

My question is this, how would I know when the axle is centered? Do I simply "eye' it? Also, is the track bar the only method used to center the front axle?

Thanks in advance.

53 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Best to have the truck sent to an alignment shop and have it set properly. This will make an impact in thrust angle and if its going to dog track or not. 

Hey bud,

The vehicle just received an alignment when the control arms were installed.  Clearly the mechanic missed this because both suspension coils and even the sway bar links are pointing to the left.  I saw the instructions on how to center the axle and I was assuming that maybe once the sway bar links and suspension coils are vertical, that would've fixed the issue.

• Owner

The front axle needs to be centered with the rear axle. I don't know of a proper way to do this other than get it on an alignment rack where they can measure the axle placement. 

3 minutes ago, Toughspot said:

Clearly the mechanic missed this because both suspension coils and even the sway bar links are pointing to the left. 

Might need to find a different shop for the alignment. Also make sure to explain to the shop that you are running custom parts and what is different and that you would like to get the axle centered. This way it can be measured from the rear axle and lined up properly. 

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The front axle needs to be centered with the rear axle. I don't know of a proper way to do this other than get it on an alignment rack where they can measure the axle placement. 

Might need to find a different shop for the alignment. Also make sure to explain to the shop that you are running custom parts and what is different and that you would like to get the axle centered. This way it can be measured from the rear axle and lined up properly. 

Okay will do.

Thanks

When I installed my adjustable track bar, I aligned it like you mentioned, by going off how level the end links were. I then took it to a 4x4 shop so I knew they'd understand how to adjust and align a track bar and they said no adjustment was needed, it was about 1/8th inch off.

When I rebuilt my entire suspension (front and back) I attached a string to the rear axle and ran it around the back middle of the rear tire and completely across the middle front tire.  Then looked at where the string was touching or not.  Then made adjustments til I got it the same on both sides.  This method allowed me to get the track bar and toe in adjusted perfectly.  My toe in is as close to 0 degrees as I could get it.

You want to make sure the string is touching both sides of the front tire equally while being equidistant on each side of the front of the rear tire.  You have to make sure your steering wheel is turned to where your front tires are both pointing as straight as possible before adjusting.  And roll the truck backwards and forwards after each adjustment. 

• Like 1

Okay guys,

I took my truck to a mechanic shop with a fully computerized wheel aligning machine, brand new I might add.  I was feeling confident looking the the equipment these guys have.  When I brought the mechanic out to show him the scope of the job and how I wanted him to center my front axle he said he doesn't know if it can be done.  He told me to leave my truck and he'll "see what he can do."  I politely drove off.

After reaching home I decided to tackle the project myself.  Bear in mind I installed the Synergy 3rd Gen track-bar conversion update that is adjustable.  Low and behold I had my front axle centered within 20 minutes.  I didn't know that the 2" leveling kit which raised my truck would've thrown my front axle out of center and only an adjustable track-bar would've remedied this problem.

Well it's done now.

I have another question, but I'll open it under a different topic.

Thanks to all who contributed.

• Owner
6 hours ago, Toughspot said:

Bear in mind I installed the Synergy 3rd Gen track-bar conversion update that is adjustable.  Low and behold I had my front axle centered within 20 minutes.  I didn't know that the 2" leveling kit which raised my truck would've thrown my front axle out of center and only an adjustable track-bar would've remedied this problem.

Missing the other thing now. Your caster angle is out. When the axle is dropped down the caster turns more positive. You need to have that adjusted also. This can impact the thrust angle of the truck. If the caster can't be set you might have to install a different set of control arms to gain your caster angle. 

Yeah as the axle is forced downward with lift kits the track bar pulls it over to the driver side.