• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lets see what guns you "don't own" :shifty:

Me78569

• Staff

Not a big fan of guns... but if I was an elk hunter I’d probably have a Rem 700 in 300 H&H, a 26” Lilja barrel with a custom muzzle brake, McMillan stock, and a Leopold VX-3 3.5-10 with a custom drop compensate dial on it. Maybe a nice bi-pod too :-) 

• Like 1

• Staff
On 1/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, Me78569 said:

@AH64ID how do you like the CDS? 

I love it. I have it calibrated for where I hunt elk and it’s marked to 1000, thou that’s a bit far for hunting shots. I’ve shot it over 400 numerous times and it’s dead accurate... assuming a good range. 

A good range finder is mandatory with one, and not one of the ones that gives you “ballistic” range. You need one that gives you true horizontal range with no ballistic computation, which last I looked was hard to find. I have a Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 and it does the angle math for me, so I can range, adjust the dial and fire. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, AH64ID said:

Not a big fan of guns... but if I was an elk hunter I’d probably have a Rem 700 in 300 H&H, a 26” Lilja barrel with a custom muzzle brake, McMillan stock, and a Leopold VX-3 3.5-10 with a custom drop compensate dial on it. Maybe a nice bi-pod too :-) 

Sounds like you have no clue.:shrug:

On 1/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, AH64ID said:

I love it. I have it calibrated for where I hunt elk and it’s marked to 1000, thou that’s a bit far for hunting shots. I’ve shot it over 400 numerous times and it’s dead accurate... assuming a good range. 

A good range finder is mandatory with one, and not one of the ones that gives you “ballistic” range. You need one that gives you true horizontal range with no ballistic computation, which last I looked was hard to find. I have a Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 and it does the angle math for me, so I can range, adjust the dial and fire. 

Not a big fan of guns?:lol:

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Sounds like you have no clue.:shrug:

Not a big fan of guns?:lol:

Nope... pretty much a snowflake. 

I would certainly never load up a moly-coated 200gr Swift A-Frame, and then push it out the bbl at 3010 fps :whistle:

Edited by AH64ID

Nope they wanted the distance from center of scope to center of barrel.  

I figured it out tho, the firing pin is visible so I can get calipers in there and measure center of pin to bottom of scope then add %50 of the OD of the scope.   

Came out to be 1.57"

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Nope they wanted the distance from center of scope to center of barrel.  

I figured it out tho, the firing pin is visible so I can get calipers in there and measure center of pin to bottom of scope then add %50 of the OD of the scope.   

Came out to be 1.57"

Gotcha. I've always just used 1.5" with standard mounts and haven't ever measured it, which is pretty close to your 1.57". 

• Staff

Just learned today what a 'snowflake' is on the radio while waiting on job for gravel (way too much mud)

It's a person that gets offended over just a flea, right? You know like those supposed offensive words.

Edited by JAG1

57 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Just learned today what a 'snowflake' is on the radio while waiting on job for gravel (way too much mud)

I have lost as much stone in the mud as I have used under the concrete I have been able to pour. 24" in 3 months out this way.

• Like 1

• Staff

I had to do that once too. Had 2 feet thick, 10/12 ft wide one thousand foot driveway that took 120 loads when done. We started in good weather everything great. by the time we got up to the homesite there was water squirting out of the ground along the hill. Floods so bad that the power co was disconnecting underground power everywhere in town. It was the hundred year flood that year.

Well the good news is it is a tack driver.   set the scope to 0's on elevation and windage took 2 rounds to zero at 25 yard, then 5 clicks for elevation at 100 yards and 1 click at 200 to make it set at zero.    After that it was gong after gong at 300 yards.   

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a nice round.  very easy to shoot off hand.   I will easily be able to hit the kill zone at 200 yards offhand.  Easily do sub moa at 300 yards.   Gonna try and stretch it out to 500 in the next couple weeks.  

henrylong.jpg

The bad news is my wife doesn't like how the 270 shoots.  It is a little much for her to enjoy shooting, so I sold the 270 to a friend and we are searching for a .243 now.

IMG_20190115_125727892.jpg

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

• Staff
19 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

My wife has a 7mm/08 that she really likes.  Her sister has one also. 

I was going to suggest this caliber too. 

To me the .243 is not a western US caliber for any big game hunting, unless you're whitetail hunting the low land in a stand... and even then I wouldn't have one. 

7mm/08 is the caliber I bought for my girls to hunt with when the time comes. 

To combat any additional recoil that a 12yo girl might not like I'll be adding a muzzle brake and shooting reduced recoil loads, which IMHO is still much better in taking game than a .243.

I grew up shooting a .243 a bit and it's a coyote gun to me, nothing bigger. 

.270 with a muzzle brake will shoot softer than .243. 

Yea it is right on the edge for me.  It is fine for deer at 200-300 yards and elk at sub 150 yards of course with good placement.  

Most of the Elk hunting we do here is at ~50 yards anything further than that is not possible due to limited sight lines.  I like the 7 08 but the cost per round is a little high compared to others. 

Big thing I want is for my Wife to enjoy picking out a gun and build it how she wants to and enjoy shooting it.  the 270 wasn't that gun for her.  half way thinking to step her up to a 6.5 as she didn't have issues with my gun however I think a 243 would suit her well.

regardless still mulling it over.  having 2 6.5's would make ammo control easier and might start reloading etc.