• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best tuner for 24v

Hi, I'm a new cummins owner. Finally got mine back in April, and she bit my *** right away by eating the transmission. But now that she's going again, I'm upgrading the ancient edge juice with attitude tuner (circa 2008). I've heard smarty is the best, but also heard quadzilla is the best? 

Smarty is ok, but hands down the Quad.

This is the place & these are the people that live for Quad.

Very knowledgeable.

& Hello, welcome to the forum!

Fill in truck signature, it really helps to diagnose problems.

Edited by jag

• Owner

Smarty touch would be an option but still only a CANBus tuner. It will cost considerably more than a Quadzilla. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline is the best option for VP44 fueled trucks. 180 HP tuner that can be completely configured without a PC. All done on a mobile device. We've got a good pile of tunes in the Download area to get started. @Quadzilla Power stops in and supports your needs here on the site. Can't ask for much more. 

8 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

she bit my *** right away by eating the transmission.

You need to talk to our on-site transmission guy. @Dynamic he can set you up with an upgrade kit and get that transmission to hold the power you plan on using. I've got a 46RE in my 1996 Dodge 1500 built by him and it a very solid transmission that will take some abuse. 

I had a smarty for a while and it would lock up the computer when I tried to program it.  I did all the recommendation ast to having full voltage when using it and good connections and my only option was to disconnect the battery and wait and then I return the truck to stock program. any issues with the Quad in this area.

• Owner
38 minutes ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

any issues with the Quad in this area.

Quadzilla is NOT a programmer. It injects its commands into the data stream on the CANBus in real time. The ECM is still operational but the Quadzilla creates new commands in real time set the priority bit and then the VP44 takes the Quadzilla command first. If the Quadzilla fails it will not leave to strained. Just unplug the CANBus lead and MAP sensor leads and return to stock. You back to stock ECM.

As for Smarty S-03 or Smarty Touch they are both Programmers and have the possibility of damaging the ECM or making the truck unusable. If the flash goes bad the truck will not even start or run. Smarty is suppose to be able to recover from most programming mistakes. Still there are some programming mistakes that require a phone call to Smarty and get a fresh recovery flash and reflash the ECM again properly to make the truck run.  

Quadzilla Adrenaline @ DAP - $675

The only thing Quadzilla doesn't include is the fuel pressure sensor. Comes with everything including the pyrometer. Ready to use in a mere few minutes of plugging in. You can do all your custom tuning right on your mobile device no PC required. Quadzilla does require a PC for flash updates but can be done with Windows, Linux and Mac. Just have Virtualbox windows and flash your update. 

Smarty Touch @ DAP - $875

Smarty Touch Pyro probe @ DAP - $155

Smarty programming dongle @ DAP - $259

Smarty ComMod @ SmartyResource - $209

Total - $1498.00

So to do the very same thing as a Quadzilla with the Smarty it will cost you double and still only a CANBus tuner. The Smarty Touch as a standalone is only the S-03 tuner. So if you want custom programming you have to buy all the other stuff. The dongle is to unlock the UDC pro software to allow you to make tunes. The ComMod always you to apply tunes in real time like the Quadzilla. Yeah, the Smarty does not include the pyrometer nor does it have a cooldown timer. Fuel pressure can't be read with Smarty you have to have an external gauge. You also need to have a Windows PC to build all your tunes. (No VirtualBox systems allowed)

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Owner

Just to toss Edge Products in. I've owned an Edge Comp for years. Good tuner for stock trucks. Same with Edge Juice. The whole problem with them is they are great for stock power trucks nothing more. As you increase injectors and add more power the timing is all wrong and the fual management is poor at best. Not capable of pulling the fuel below stock rate so there is always smoke issues. Being the timing is not adjustable yo can tweak the timing to meet the requirements of your larger injectors so typically the EGT's are higher and the performance is well OK. 

Again "Canned Tuners" like Edge, Diablo, Bully Dog, Smarty S-03, etc. Are designed strictly for stock injectors and stock turbos. This is the ONLY time they will produce a fairly clean burn and not a whole lot of EGT's. Even when I stepped from stock to +50HP injectors on my Edge Comp the EGT's got out of hand really easy and always smokey.   

Hi All Newbie here.  So the iQuad doesn't monitor fuel pressure levels?  I removed the Edge and it did have the Fuel pressure gauge.  I guess the solution is to install a 3 pillar with a fuel gauge, EGT and a Oil pressure gauge as a back up?  I'll be towing every now and then would a Trans temp be more desirable?  

Or I guess can the Fuel pressure be added to the iQuad?  Is there a  Spare input? 

Well I just opened the box and read the instructions.  I should have lead with that.  Fuel pressure is available with an optional input.  Still like advise for  a3 pillar gauge pod.  I like the old mechanical gauges.

Thanks for your time and advise.

Michael

Edited by int3man
Stupid read the instructions!

you can add fuel pressure to the quad if you want, but quad chooses not to do it by default as A LOT of 2nd gen guys already have a fuel pressure gauge, so they can cut the cost of the unit by ~$50-70 if you alread have a pressure gauge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I may jump in here, I would need to remove all related Edge products(CTS2 Insight and the Juice w/Attitude) to install the Quad Adrenaline V2.  Is this correct?  Aand you say that I could make adjustments to eliminate low boost smoke.

• Owner
36 minutes ago, Nicarlov said:

If I may jump in here, I would need to remove all related Edge products(CTS2 Insight and the Juice w/Attitude) to install the Quad Adrenaline V2.  Is this correct?  Aand you say that I could make adjustments to eliminate low boost smoke.

Yes, all the Edge Juice would have to be removed. Then you could install the Quadzilla in its place. The bad part is the Edge Juice has so much cabling going back into the cab. Ugh. Quadzilla only has one wire going to the fuse panel that's all. 

As for smoke control, it super simple just dial down below 100% and you cutting below stock value. Like my tune... Totally smoke free.

Capture+_2018-10-31-16-08-11.png

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

I've recently helped out Marco (new employee) tune his 2nd gen with 350HP injectors and it is still pretty hard to get that one cleaned up. We did get it pretty darned close to clean. We had to start our CAN bus fueling at 50% and work slowly up from there, but it does look pretty good now. 

:stuned: Holy cow dude! :thud:

Long ways from the days of Edge Comp where just having +50 HP injectors were dirty on just about any level of power. 

I know you mentioned you had various tunes available, but is tuning something that I could even do?  Also, I am thinking to get the quad, 7x.012 injectors and then swap out the ATS 3000 for a bit larger turbo.  With all this, the quad should be able to tune to get full power, yet adjust the fueling to minimize/eliminate the smoke.