• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd gen track bar on a 2nd gen

Any of you put the 3rd gen bar on your truck.

I have put a couple good 2nd gen ones on and a couple low buck specials on it.

They all fail. I have driven this truck 20 k in 6 years.

I do have 285 tires on it with M/T aluminum wheels. They are actually a lot lighter than my chrome original ones with the 245s on it.

So I am thinking of buying the bracket that bolts to the frame and putting the 3rd gen bar on.

I can get the bars for free if the stock ones fit my truck.

Thanks for any input, positive or negative. 

That is how we learn. 

• Owner

Been running NAPA track bars and with 235's and 245's I can clear 100k miles on a track bar but I do that amount of travel in about 1.5 years. The problem is the leverage force placed on the track bar by the larger tires. Rotational mass isn't the focus here but the ability of the tire and wheel lever against the track bar causing the failure. 

synergy 3rd gen conversion here...much better than stock setup for a leveled/lifted truck.

i had a RARE PARTS HD adjustable 2nd gen bar...but my thuren coils put the ball joint angle in a bad spot, so i swapped to a 3rd gen...no real difference in results as the rare parts was fine. 

9 minutes ago, Stormin08 said:

synergy 3rd gen conversion here...much better than stock setup for a leveled/lifted truck.

i had a RARE PARTS HD adjustable 2nd gen bar...but my thuren coils put the ball joint angle in a bad spot, so i swapped to a 3rd gen...no real difference in results as the rare parts was fine. 

I got a rare parts one

I put a Thuren 3rd Gen on my 2002, with the adapter bracket.  That was at ~100K, and I'm at 224K now. No issues with it.  I really like it.  I have 2.5" leveling kit spacers and run 315/70R17s..Truck is stable, steering is tight.  I grease the frame side joint during regular greasing intervals.  At the axle end, the use of the heim joint required displacing the steering dampener bolt to the front of the bracket (can get a pic if you want) which I didn't really like..But appears to be holding up.  

I was cheap at the time and got the uncoated/unpainted bar and installed it as such. If I did it again, I'd get it coated or paint it before installing.  

Been using a 3rd gen bar and adapter plate for over ten years. Just replaced the 3rd gen bar for the first time. bushing was starting to seperate from the bar. A couple things to watch for. Some (Synergy, etc) bars won't fit if you have a MagHytec front diff cover. Early 2nd gen trucks may have trouble fitting the adjustable length bars into the passenger side perch. Most installs are easier if the tie rod is removed.