• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12v Switched wire - Rear Bumper

Does anyone know if there is a native wire that receives 12v (when the key is turned on) by the rear bumper/trailer connection area?  I like to have the option to view my rear view cam at any time but don't want it to be constantly on.  I haven't found one so far and thought I'd ask before I run a long wire back there.

Doh, I was looking at it from the wrong angle.  Normally the rear camera is powered by the tail lights (reverse),  I'll just have the 12v come from the radio switched 12v and combine the 2 in the back.  Sometimes you just have to type it out and the answer will come to ya.

I ran a pack of wires in a 3/4" pex pipe as conduit inside a frame rail and used one of them for my rear view camera, so I can control when it's on or off on a toggle switch. It's nice to see your hitch is still latched when going down the road. Other wire is for rear light, reverse lights are not enough sometimes. Another wire is for on board air just incase :shrug:. Yeah I have to many toggle switches on my dash, one of them to switch my ac compressor on/off, nice option. Thanks to @IBMobile to figure out which wire to tap. I'm going to get a dash out of plane someday and plumb all my stuff on it, and then I can get rid of my fiberglassed, glued, siliconed dash that dodge made from recycled cheap Chinese condoms :stirthepot:

• Haha 3

• Staff

I installed a camera in the back window of my 5th wheel and used a 50' roll of cat5 wire from Home Depot.  It has 4 pairs of wire so I used 1 pair for the 12v, the 2ed pair for ground, the 3ed pair for video signal, and the last pair for the shielding. 

On the truck side of things the wire was zip tied to the frame and metal fuel lines then run through the grommet in the firewall.    I control the on off with a push button switch installed in the overhead light assembly. 

I've been using it for 2 years and over 15,000 mi with no problems.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I installed a camera in the back window of my 5th wheel and used a 50' roll of cat5 wire from Home Depot.  It has 4 pairs of wire so I used 1 pair for the 12v, the 2ed pair for ground, the 3ed pair for video signal, and the last pair for the shielding. 

On the truck side of things the wire was zip tied to the frame and metal fuel lines then run through the grommet in the firewall.    I control the on off with a push button switch installed in the overhead light assembly. 

I've been using it for 2 years and over 15,000 mi with no problems.

cat5 is great to have on hand.  I used to have a large wooden spool of it and did the exact same thing for a lot of projects.  I need to pick up some more of that. :thumb1: