• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla on a stock truck

portlandareae28

So since I am in California Smog country now.  I want the truck to run the absolutely best it can.  I may be able to squeeze RV275's in it, but not much more.  Maybe a more efficient wheel in the turbo and thats that...  unless there is a ball bearing turbo that is essentially stock that could be an option.. SO the question is I have an Edge Comp now.. I am not real impressed by it as the truck seems rough on the high tunes and it smokes like a freight train on the high tunes as well...  So could the Quadzilla enable the power without the smoke?  smooth/smoother idle?  better EGT's?   etc...   I look forward to learning from this thread as I have not dug into quadzilla much yet.  

I passed a lug down emissions test with 7 x .012's at 7000' altitude   rv275 will be a cake walk with a quadzilla.  

I would personally be going with 7 x .009's and a quadzilla.  that will support a bigger turbo down the road if you want it, but still be VERY clean and make good fun power on a hx35 truck.

here are videos

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would personally be going with 7 x .009's and a quadzilla.  that will support a bigger turbo down the road if you want it, but still be VERY clean and make good fun power on a hx35 truck.

Can confirm, practically my exact setup, and I can’t get it to smoke even if I wanted :burnout:

FWIW, I was able to run 7x.012 SACs with a HX35 with MINIMAL smoke and a solid tune. I wouldn’t advise you do the same for a daily driven truck but just puts into perspective the tuneability vs clean power the quad is capable of.

I think we were pointing out just that. Although we were using examples of slightly bigger injectors then rv275s, I ran the quad and stock injectors for quite a while and it was a solid setup. We’re also pointing out that even with bigger injectors (like the 7x0.008’s I have) and similarly sized injectors will run just as clean as smaller ones. Obviously there’s a tipping point and certain size (read: large) injectors won’t be as clean but all in all MUCH cleaner then any other tuner available. 

Peak power isn't what is important when you consider injectors.  Bigger injectors will give you more useable power under the curve without smoke.  

So a stock injectors truck with a quad at 350 hp will drive worse than a 7 x .010 injector truck at 350 hp if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Install the tuner in a hidden fashion and they will never be the wiser. Leave the tuning on and let them go to town snap testing it.  Had @jigabop pass with his fire hose injectors recently.

You will be happier with bigger injectors and less duration to make the same power as smaller injectors with more duration.  From my experience better mpg as well.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

You will be happier with bigger injectors and less duration to make the same power as smaller injectors with more duration.  From my experience better mpg as well.

I definitely agree with this but to be clear this has an upper limit as well as limited somewhat to what turbo you’re running and altitude. My 7x0.012’s with the little HX ran fine and pulled well but no where near as nice and clean and hard as my HX with 7x0.008 with wiretap though. Not saying you’re incorrect Nick, just making sure people get there’s a limit.

Edited by notlimah

%100 correct

Too big is still an issue, but I would argue that there is never a reason to go smaller than 7 x .010's if you are going to be buying injectors.  I think 7 x .010's are nearly perfect for a daily driven truck.  good power while retaining ease of tuning.  Beyond 7 x .011's and you start to have to work hard at tuning to keep it running well. 

• Like 1

same thing for a hx35.    you would only need minimal wiretap to hit the peak power a hx35 can flow air for.   

wiretap is REALLY good for extending fueling at high rpms, I dont like using wiretap to make up the meat under the curve.  If I had my way I would not allow wiretap under 15 psi.

I did testing with my hx35 and 7 x .009's and I needed too much wiretap for my liking.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Gotcha. 

I think if I had studs and didn’t mind possibly breaking things (cough @trreed cough) I would’ve gone bigger on the injectors. 

Weston recommended that size so I took his advice and they’ve worked great for me. I really just want a solid tow rig right now but you can definitely scoot pretty good. I’d have to double check but I believe my fueling is starting at 109 and I can’t get smoke so I’m slowly going to increase until I find the limit.

Edited by notlimah

He makes nice injectors.  I really wish I could have tried a set of his injectors in my testing, but the $$ didn't work out.

I believe bigger injectors are able to flow more fuel more efficent IE with less smoke under the curve when at the same hp.     

from my testing it felt like the truck had more torque across the entire rpm range with the same smoke with the 7 x .012's compared to the 7 x .009's  if that makes sense.   

hard to explain, but think of it this way.   

in order to make 300 hp, 

small injectors need to stay open longer to inject enough fuel to hit the hp number, where as bigger injectors dont need to stay open so long to hit the same hp number.  This means your "power" can be injected at a more exact point in time in the stroke, reducing egts and smoke.  

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I completely understand your point and agree. In my very limited ‘testing’ compared to your extensive amount, the best way I was able to describe it was with smaller injectors you need more wiretap to get the truck moving the same as you would with the bigger injectors. The power comes on hard when wiretap kicks in but it’s much more linear with bigger injectors as in smooth solid power all the way up the rpms. I sorta like knowing I have the wiretap power there when I need it but with that being said I don’t really use it in my daily driving.