• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

96 Ford Ranger - Bleeding PWR Steering Question

Leaky88

Hi,

Replaced Gear Box and Power Steering Pump an a 96 Ford Ranger XL, 2.3, 2WD, 5sp.

I'm bleeding system with MityVac Pump and Rubber Stopper in Reservoir.

I have bled system, started engine, bled system again, restarted engine and cycled wheels back and forth 5X.

Instructions say I should be able to put 20 in vacuum on it and see no drop in vacuum after 5 mins.

Mine continues to drop to 19" and remain so for hours. Repeated test at least 5 times.  Left vacuum on it overnight and it might have dropped to 17" max.

All PS lines are new, and tight.  No visible fluid leaks. Vacuum pump tested, and plastic line between pump and rubber stopper are secured and tight

Am I expecting too much or do I need to put the coveralls on again?

Thanks.

Leaky

Guest 04Mach1

I just turn the steering wheel lock to lock multiple times with the engine running and have never really had issues bleeding power steering boxes or pumps with this method on the many I've done over the years.