• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I just did the did tappet cover on my 95 12v 3500. Got it all back together and timed right (I think). Anyways the trucks smokes white when you give it throttle and acts like it has a rev limiter and doesn’t have much power. 

Is my timing out but close enough to run?

or could it be my fuel filter? 

Tia need all the help I can get thanks! 

• Owner

White smoke is a sign of retarded timing. P-pump has a timing plug on the back of the pump. Where you remove the plug a little engine oil will drain out. Now inside the plug is a plastic alignment tool.

image.jpeg

Now roll the engine over to TDC #1 there should be a metal tab in the hole now.

image.jpeg

The plastic plug is to hold the pump shaft. The hard part is the tightening the pump nut without turning the pump shaft and breaking the plastic plug off inside.

• Like 1

I did that procedure but must of had it move on me. Any tips on not getting ur to move? Thank you 

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

White smoke is a sign of retarded timing. P-pump has a timing plug on the back of the pump. Where you remove the plug a little engine oil will drain out. Now inside the plug is a plastic alignment tool.

image.jpeg

Now roll the engine over to TDC #1 there should be a metal tab in the hole now.

image.jpeg

The plastic plug is to hold the pump shaft. The hard part is the tightening the pump nut without turning the pump shaft and breaking the plastic plug off inside.

Guest 04Mach1
10 hours ago, 95 12v Cummins said:

I did that procedure but must of had it move on me. Any tips on not getting ur to move? Thank you 

Just pin the pump at TDC and install on to the engine. Make sure engine is at #1 TDC. The dowel pin on the engine crank will be at 12 o'clock with both cam and crank timing marks lined up. Install the P-pump gear and torque the gear nut to spec while holding the engine from turning. 

Note. The above procedure will allow the engine to run however since timing wasn't retained during repair a very complicated procedure that requires special tooling will be needed to set the timing listed on the engine data tag.

This shows the proper way to set timing. 

https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3gcwt-time-5-9-cumming-engine.html

I could look up the procedure on Quickserve too if needez. If I remember correctly the detuned Dodge Cummins engine is set to somewhere around 16* BTDC for fuel timing. It's been a while since I played with a 6BT Cummins.