• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 bucking and smoking

Have a 2001 dodge nv4500 I’m having issues once the gauge starts to move and truck warms up I’m having a cuttting out issue around 18-2200 rpm it’ll cut out like it’s banging off the rev limiter have some whiteish blue smoke and you can floor it and it goes away. 

Ive replaced the. Injection pump,lift pump with a air dog 150,  injectors, turbo, cam sensor. Tpps, map sensor, IAT sensor, coolaint temp sensor, 

fuel lresure is 18 at idle 14 at WOT

Funny thing is if you drive the truck like a jack *** it doesn’t mess up but if you drive it normal it messes up every time. 

Ecm??? 

Edited by Hsmtrans

• Owner

AC noise? Have you tested for excessive AC noise from the alternator?

Bad master ground for the ECM (passenger side cable)?

14 minutes ago, Hsmtrans said:

I’m having a cuttting out issue around 18-2200 rpm it’ll cut out like it’s banging off the rev limiter have some whiteish blue smoke and you can floor it and it goes away. 

Most likely you're drifting slowly into this RPM band and the AC noise comes on fouling the tach signal with a harmonic that the ECM thinks it's over-revving so it cuts fuel. Then if you stand on the throttle then you pass that band of harmonic and the ECM pulls through. 

Dumb question, best way to check ac noice?

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

AC noise? Have you tested for excessive AC noise from the alternator?

Bad master ground for the ECM (passenger side cable)?

Most likely you're drifting slowly into this RPM band and the AC noise comes on fouling the tach signal with a harmonic that the ECM thinks it's over-revving so it cuts fuel. Then if you stand on the throttle then you pass that band of harmonic and the ECM pulls through. 

Edited by Hsmtrans

• Owner

DVM meter... 

DVM has to have AC scale for 2 volts or LESS. The DVM need to be able to measure more than just 60 Hz AC frequency like house power. I know O-scope is the best way but most people don't have the money for a good one. Like myself, I use a Fluke 75 DVM and it auto-scaling and reads on just about any frequency still.

After you verify that then we'll talk about ground wires and fixing them.

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

DVM meter... 

DVM has to have AC scale for 2 volts or LESS. The DVM need to be able to measure more than just 60 Hz AC frequency like house power. I know O-scope is the best way but most people don't have the money for a good one. Like myself, I use a Fluke 75 DVM and it auto-scaling and reads on just about any frequency still.

After you verify that then we'll talk about ground wires and fixing them.

Ok I’ll have to grab a multimeter only have a power probe 

I can’t seem to find what I need. Can you lead me in the direction of where I can get what i need? Part store Home Depot etc the one they have here at the shop doesn’t seem to go low enough at all 

this is what they have https://hc-cargo.com/files/billeder/ecom/products/fg_annex/DK055196.pdf

1 hour ago, Hsmtrans said:

Ok I’ll have to grab a multimeter only have a power probe 

I can’t seem to find what I need. Can you lead me in the direction of where I can get what i need? Part store Home Depot etc the one they have here at the shop doesn’t seem to go low enough at all 

this is what they have https://hc-cargo.com/files/billeder/ecom/products/fg_annex/DK055196.pdf

I believe the power probe 4 will do A/C and a lot of other things I just got a used one and sold the III power probe.