• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Flushing power steering fluid tomorrow

Truck has intermittent power steering, moaning and groaning.  Going to start simple with fluid.  Any last minute advice on fluid choice?  I don’t have a jack to get the front wheels off of the ground, will get one if you guys tell me that is the only way.  I have jack stands just no jack.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Edited by portlandareae28

Guest 04Mach1
20 minutes ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

I may be wrong but I went with atf 4 and steering has worked better and that was many years ago. remove fluid from reservoir and add ATF 4 run an repeat several times. for me I have seen an improvement. 

Same here... ATF+4 in the power steering for around 5 years in the 01. I had a dramatic pump noise reduction and improved cold performance after the switch to ATF+4 in the power steering. I'm still watching and waiting for the seal failures that supposedly happen because the seals are not compatible with ATF. 

Just did mine. My 99 spec's power steering fluid not ATF.  I use a large syringe with a rubber hose jammed on the end to suck out the fluid.  The large syringe is from a farm store used for horses etc..  You can only get about 1/2 qt of fluid out of the pump at a time. I take out as much as I can, fill the pump, take it for a short drive, come back and repeat the operation again. I did that 4 times and used 2 quarts of fluid in total.  I used Prestone power steering fluid. They make 2 versions one standard P/S fluid and one with Leak Seal/Sop Leak etc. . The Stop Leak is a bit thicker.  Standard P/S fluid from what I have read is 20W the Stop Leak to me feels like about 30w. I use the standard P/S fluid/oil at about 5 to 6 bucks a qt.  They do make a synthetic P/S oil also (not Prestone) and I have no experance with it and did not want to mix it with my existing oil the oil is also 13-15.00 a quart here and harder to find.  I do this "almost a flush" about every 4 or 5 years.

As a note after one of the fluid changes I did I started up the truck and no power steering or brakes.......... Damn.. Turned out really simple, just rev up the engine a few times and all was good and pumping again. Guess it was air locked.  I didn't jack up the front end or anything just turned the steering wheel left to right a few time and took it to a parking lot and did a number turns and used the brakes etc. all good.

What I did is not a true flush but I am in hopes that it will suffice in that I have done it a few times over the years.  IMO pretty important to do because we are using that fluid for the hydroboost.  Oil or ATF depends on the year of your truck. Might be talking out of my *** but I think 2003 and up specs ATF they have a little different set up (box, oil cooler etc).  As noted by IBmobile the spec for the oil is Mopar MS 5931. Check your service manual.

Edited by snowbird

3 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I've been using Redline PS fluid for years.  Never went though the formal "flushing" process, merely changed the fluid in the reservoir many times.  I think the stuff is pretty good... :thumb1:

I agree, the truck even drives better with it. I do jack mine up and turn the wheel lock to lock several times to get the old fluid out of the gear box and again to refill it.

• Owner
10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

This is from the FSM 

2002 and older:  Mopar MS 5931 or equivalent

2003 and newer: Mopar ATF+4 type 9602 or equivalent  

Reason why...

2002 and older is a Sagnaw steering box which is designed for power steering fluid and don't forget the hydrobooster. All the seals are designed for power steering fluid. 

2003 and newer is a FORD steering box. Yes, it's a Ford Motor Company steering box and pump hence why the change over to ATF after 2003.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 7:29 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Reason why...

2002 and older is a Sagnaw steering box which is designed for power steering fluid and don't forget the hydrobooster. All the seals are designed for power steering fluid. 

2003 and newer is a FORD steering box. Yes, it's a Ford Motor Company steering box and pump hence why the change over to ATF after 2003.

I thought we were past this fluid specs in the manual transmission thread :sofa:

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Reason why...

I think some of the power steering pumps were/are aluminum and they are made by ZF?  I think the Ford is cast iron?

• Owner

All I can say about power steering fluid and change interval. You should be changing every 30k miles. I've been using petroleum power steering fluid since the beginning. My steering box never failed as in sloppy steering but the seals failed from excessive rust around the seal. As for my power steering pump it's still going strong. When I reseal my reservoir it was exceptionally clean inside and no sludge build up or debris. I've still got my OEM hydro-booster and still without leaks. 

1 minute ago, NIsaacs said:

I think some of the power steering pumps were/are aluminum and they are made by ZF?  I think the Ford is cast iron?

Mine is a cast iron housing on the power steering pump. 

For pre 2003 vehicles, I use MS-5931 (or an equivalent parts store spec fluid in a pinch), though the back label does imply that ATF can be used in post '99 vehicles

Haven't had a problem yet in temp extremes FWIW.

fullsizeoutput_85b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_85c.jpeg

its pronounced, "wine"

47 minutes ago, ofelas said:

For pre 2003 vehicles, I use MS-5931 (or an equivalent parts store spec fluid in a pinch), though the back label does imply that ATF can be used in post '99 vehicles

Haven't had a problem yet in temp extremes FWIW.

fullsizeoutput_85b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_85c.jpeg

this is interesting, what I don't like is the "use ONLY in vehicles pre 1998"  is there another Power Steering fluid from Mopar that is for post 1998 vehicles?  

23 minutes ago, portlandareae28 said:

its pronounced, "wine"

this is interesting, what I don't like is the "use ONLY in vehicles pre 1998"  is there another Power Steering fluid from Mopar that is for post 1998 vehicles?  

No, it doesn't say "use ONLY in vehicles pre 1998".

It says - "Use only in power steering systems", - as in don't use in transmissions.

It goes on to say "use of engine or transmission lubricants may deteriorate pre-98 rubber PS components" - as in don't dump your favorite Rotella or ATF into pre 98 power system reservoirs.

The French, despite their odd habits, appear to have a superior public school system when it comes to deciphering English labels.

For your 2001, MS-5931 is ideal; ATF+4 from 2003 onwards, but doable from 99-2002 as well.

We can, of course, blame the Germans for these confusing labels as they took over Chrysler in 1998.

• Like 2