• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Axle shaft u joints

One of my front axle shaft u joints failed today passanger side its clonking pretty bad in 4x4... can someone help with part numbers or give me a part number on rock auto to order as there is a few sizes it has a dana 60 front end its a 99 2500. im in the UK so its easy to order from rock auto or any other recommendations on who to order from. Thanks

• Owner

I went with NAPA wheel joints. NAPA wheel joints are greaseable. My problem was the bearing caps where rust to the shafts. Driver side required better that 20 ton press to get the cap to even move. Passenger side took me over 4 hour of beating with hammer and MAP torch to get the passenger side apart.

I'd rather have them fail before 100k that fight to get 350k wheel joints to even move with 4 hours of swing 6 pound hammer.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I went with NAPA wheel joints. NAPA wheel joints are greaseable. My problem was the bearing caps where rust to the shafts. Driver side required better that 20 ton press to get the cap to even move. Passenger side took me over 4 hour of beating with hammer and MAP torch to get the passenger side apart.

I'd rather have them fail before 100k that fight to get 350k wheel joints to even move with 4 hours of swing 6 pound hammer.

My truck only has 130k on but it sat for 4 years without being moved much i think thats why its worn out this bad.. ordered one going to have ago at changing later this week i have 20t press so hopefully it wont defeat me 

1 hour ago, Ronniemx3 said:

My truck only has 130k on but it sat for 4 years without being moved much i think thats why its worn out this bad.. ordered one going to have ago at changing later this week i have 20t press so hopefully it wont defeat me 

If one is going might not be long for the other either. I lost one of mine around a year and a half ago with about 400k on them. Replaced both to be safe. I used my ball joint press on both of them. Still took some persuading but no where near the trouble @Mopar1973Man had with his.

Edited by dripley

11 minutes ago, dripley said:

one is going might not be long for the other either. I lost one of mine around a year and a half ago with about 400k on them. Replaced both to be safe. I used my ball joint press on both of them. Still took some persuading but no where near the trouble @Mopar1973Man had with his.

Thats good going 400k! The other side has very little play i will change the one and compare with the other side. I think this side may have been renewed before as it has a grease nipple on.. the drivers side which seems to be ok does not. I will update the thread later this week and let you know how it goes.

1 minute ago, Ronniemx3 said:

Thats good going 400k! The other side has very little play i will change the one and compare with the other side. I think this side may have been renewed before as it has a grease nipple on.. the drivers side which seems to be ok does not. I will update the thread later this week and let you know how it goes.

The OE ones, at least on my 02 anyway, came with NO nipple for greasing. 

This is what I used. Slingers in first picture were wrong, second picture has correct slingers if you need them. I don't care much for greaseable things unless you're in mud/water all the time. Also to get u joints apart be careful using press, you can f things up pretty quick. Just need a good vise or few wood blocks and a good size hammer hitting in right spot. Clean groves for snap rings really well and make sure no burs where caps go in. Good luck. 20180929_150258.jpg.a4c24669c2b2e91f2aa0684e7501a484.jpg20181001_111007.jpg.99745d8468c75f8e6b944407fc112bf7.jpg

Those Spicer Life non greasable non cross drilled joints are the cat's meow.

Important to reinstall the caps on their corresponding cross yokes as they have a pre-measured amount of grease in all 4.

Wouldn't use anything else, even though I'm the type that lubes greasable U-joints well ahead of schedule.

Edited by ofelas
Auto correct nonsense

53 minutes ago, ofelas said:

Important to reinstall the caps on their corresponding cross yokes as they have a pre-measured amount of grease in all 4

Not sure what you mean by this. I have 3 new joints for my drive shaft. I will press out the old ones and press in the new ones. Do you mean the joints are directional???

Edited by dripley

8 minutes ago, dripley said:

Not sure what you mean by this. I have 3 new joints for my drive shaft. I will press out the old ones and press in the new ones. Do you mean the joints are directional???

When you take caps off, make sure they go where you took them off. If not there is a chance of one being under greased and one over greased, ether on is not good. Under greased will not last as long, over greased can push a pressed seal out of joint when assembling and may get hotter too making it wear faster. 

Hope I didn't make it more confusing. 

59 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

When you take caps off, make sure they go where you took them off. If not there is a chance of one being under greased and one over greased, ether on is not good. Under greased will not last as long, over greased can push a pressed seal out of joint when assembling and may get hotter too making it wear faster. 

Hope I didn't make it more confusing. 

When I put a new one in I remove one cap, place the joint in the yoke and put the one cap back over the end sticking out of the yoke an press it in. Just did not see a reason to remove more than one at a time. Directional might have been a bad way to say it.

• Like 1