• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truetrac good for towing backhoe

Ive got a 2000 3500 24v 47re dana 80 dually 3.55 2wd and im talking to pyle bros axle shop in houston about ugrading to 4.10 and he mentioned about getting the trutrac.  Im just hauling the backhoe around town a little.  Is the truetrac worth it for my use.  I like the idea of improving the traction with 2wd.  Ill be hauling the drump trailer also too.  Ive read that heavy towing isnt good for the truetrac.  What do yall think about that? 

Edited by Chevy32720

• Owner

Personally, I've done a lot of towing without limited slip axles at all. From heavy firewood trailers, backhoes, hay trailers, etc. No need for limited slip axles. If your offroad a lot then it might bonus in added traction on slick surfaces. Better control with using 4WD though. closing in on 400k miles and it wonderful not to have to deal with replacing clutch packs or having to use special synthetic rear lubricants. Just plain ol' 80w-90 GL-5 still going strong!

Image result for mopar1973man trailers

It all depends on your driving methods, applications. If you are driving just the truck on pavement, mud, ice etc. Or if you are hauling all the time on pavement, mud ice etc.. 

IMO 2wd truck with 3.55 gears is a personal transport vehicle, that occasional uses the bed to haul things. Or has a trailer to be used on pavement occasionally. 

Next step up is the 4x4 for is the vehicle Is To be used on more demanding roads, ice, mud etc. 

Add a spring or clutch posi for the next step up. 

Then a fully geared Eaton next 

But for extreme duty, hauling on mud, or deep snow, a full time locker is best to be added. 

And depending how much your are pulling a weighted trailing through it all then you can go to a 4.10 gearing 

Again, just my opinion.

But getting back to, if truetrac is good for towing, it depends on how you are using the truck. 

Ok thanks for the input.  Im thinking the truetrac would be wasted money cuz i live in houston and just drive on pavement and theres not much mud and ice. My build sheet says its got an anti spin differential so that seems good enough for general use.  Im gonna have the shop install the 4.10 gear and pay extra to change out the hub bearings also while they got it torn down and then itll be a complete rebuilt axel.  Im looking at the goerend triple disk converter and maybe the valve body but im to cheap to justify needing it.  Ill prolly get the torque converter eventually tho for some reason.  I plan on driving this truck for 30 years so good parts can save money if they last.  The tranny was rebuilt by the previous owner so i cant justify messing with the transmission to much as i work offshore in saudi and dont use the truck for work.  Im kinda hoping it starts slipping!!  Dont think anyone has said that before lol

Thanks for the replies yall.  Im getting the true trac with 4.10 gears with bearings and shims and oil. Also new bearings in the hubs with labor for $2,450 at pyle bros in baytown tx.  Its seems expensive but its really not that much money for oem parts to be installed by a first rate shop.  I know im not going to be listening to gears whine and grind for 3 months and take it back to the shop 3 times for "adjustment".  I hope so at least.  Ill post when its done.  I really like the idea of awesome traction with dually tires.  Its a heavy steel flatbed so thatll help it even more.