• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

9004 to 9007

• Owner

No. 9007 vs 9004 bulbs are designed differently and require different headlight reflectors. Then the index key on the bulb bases it in a different location. 9007 bulbs are used in the sport dual bulb setup. Trust me there is no gain but switching the light is still very crappy and poor. Even the 9004 I just installed in the 1996 Dodge 1500 are much better. Which I did standard headlight cases with clear lens. 

9004 vs 9007 headlight bulbs

14 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. 9007 vs 9004 bulbs are designed differently and require different headlight reflectors. Then the index key on the bulb bases it in a different location. 9007 bulbs are used in the sport dual bulb setup. Trust me there is no gain but switching the light is still very crappy and poor. Even the 9004 I just installed in the 1996 Dodge 1500 are much better. Which I did standard headlight cases with clear lens. 

9004 vs 9007 headlight bulbs

Thanks for that pic very helpful. So clearly it will not work. I’m sorely tempted to go tali this a sport upgrade. They have to be a good but better than non sport especially with a good set of bulbs. 

• Owner

Already been there done that and sport headlight sucked. Hence why I sold the headlights on the classified area last year. I only owned them for one year and sold them because you could not see worth a darn. Even with the relay mod. Light pattern sucks. 

At that point I dumped the sport headlight and my four 100w driving lights for what I've got now which cost me $1,000.00 and it is the best lighting you can buy. Morimoto D2S HID lights already completely assembled in a Plug N' Play kit. Then the PIAA LED driving lights. This is what I did on the 2002 Dodge 2500.

I just finished up the 1996 Dodge which I did the clear lens stock headlights again with a cheapy HID bulb kit. Those sucked too. I could see very fair ar all The low beam was good but the high beam was dimmer and not a high beam at all. The bulb is a HID low beam and 55w halogen high beam. I yanked those out and went to Autozone and got a set of SilverStar Halogen bulbs 9004 and those are OK. The pattern isn't as good as the Morimoto but it will do for a fall back truck. 

DSCF4511.JPGDSCF4512.JPG

• Owner

At least for Idaho laws. You can have a light bar on the highways as long as the bar is mounted BELOW the headlight line. If its mount above the headlights like on cab top then its illegal to use on the public highway. Backroads (dirt roads) are fine but be aware USFS can pitch a bee-otch too and complain about them as well. 

24 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

At least for Idaho laws. You can have a light bar on the highways as long as the bar is mounted BELOW the headlight line. If its mount above the headlights like on cab top then its illegal to use on the public highway. Backroads (dirt roads) are fine but be aware USFS can pitch a bee-otch too and complain about them as well. 

Not sure for California, but do have the bar below the headlights, will ask my son in law he is a CHP

Edited by Ed ke6bnl

Light bars are the worst thing ever on public roads, no one ever aims the stupid things.   

I would suggest waiting until black friday / monday whatever it is and buying projectors at a discounted rate from retrofitsource. 

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-acme-h1-stage-3-kit.html

these are good price and good optics for the price.   they are a rip off of the mini h1 5.0 I think.  

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Light bars are the worst thing ever on public roads, no one ever aims the stupid things.   

I would suggest waiting until black friday / monday whatever it is and buying projectors at a discounted rate from retrofitsource. 

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-acme-h1-stage-3-kit.html

these are good price and good optics for the price.   they are a rip off of the mini h1 5.0 I think.  

Will those fit in 2nd gen housings like the D2S projector?

And also, who won the raffle. I am kicking myself for forgetting to enter...:punish:

maybe it is just me, but my sport with bulb upgrades is fine.

i have newer vehicles with projectors and yes they have farther, brighter output....but never have i felt like my sport was inadequate.

sport conversion harness and brite box bulbzilla harness from genos is what i would look at if you want EASY, plug and play swap. that harness lights ALL 10 filaments, just as if i hold my high beam lever...works great.

that said, i only do it temporarily if ever needed, as it is hard on wiring and switches...but it mimics what that harness can do

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
39 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

I got a pair of 9004 from rock auto that are 80/100 watt but im scarred to run them in fear of burning something up.

Most likely will happen. 100w bulbs pull about 14.2 amps. You would be best setting up relay kits to keep the wattage off the stock wiring. The other thing to watch for is the amount of heat the bulbs give off and will it melt the headlight housings. I know there is a few that upgraded to larger blubs without many issues. 

• Like 1

• Owner
22 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

I was mostly concerned with burning up the housings and didnt even think about the headlight switch.

Headlight switch, and multi-function switch. All on the ground side of the headlights. Then the wiring is bit on the thin side so I'm going to bet your voltage drop would be worse drawing heavier loads on that thin wiring. 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, Stormin08 said:

maybe it is just me, but my sport with bulb upgrades is fine.

Mine have worked out fine as well.  I think it is luck the draw as you do not know what you are going to get in the after-market world. 

I wired mine with relays using the factory wiring diagram as far as beam operation.  I use quality bulbs and yes there are flaws in the beam pattern but the light is where it should be with good forward vision and great side vision on low beams and good forward and great side vision on high beams.  For me, the conversion was worth it.  I have been using them for 50,000 miles and 2 1/2  years.

- John

^^^^.  

same here, I upgraded from my stock single headlights a couple years ago with the sport headlights from DAP,  The headlights themselves are of good quality, I’m still running the bulbs that came with them but I know they leave room for improvement, I would be interested what others have used for bulbs. 

14 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I would be interested what others have used for bulbs. 

From Daniel Stern Lighting a couple of years ago,

The best 9007 bulbs presently on the market are the GE Night
Hawk Xenon 9007NHX or the Philips Xtreme Vision 9007XVS2

The best 9004 bulbs presently on the market are the GE Night
Hawk Platnium 9004NHP or Philips Xtreme Vision 9004XVS2

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 1