• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I miss my childhood...

Guest 04Mach1

Guest 04Mach1

Seeing the truck in this video takes me back. The truck in the video is just a bit older than me but is a spitting image of an old KW my grandfather owned and was one of my all-time favorite trucks. The Cat 3408 was the king of the road back in it's day and gave the meaning of "if it ain't a Cat, it's a dog"... just hope there is a fuel station at the top of the hill as if you're lucky 3.5 mpg with a tail wind was tops for fuel mileage. My second favorite was a 68 Mack that we transplanted a 2 stroke Detroit 8V92 into, it would get a tad over 4 mpg. 

Cool video, that guy has some money in that truck. The problem with Cat "back in the day before direct injection" they wouldn't start if you walked by with an ice cream cone. They were heavy, expensive, parts availability/dealer network was slim and no jake brake.

Before electronics, Pittsburg Power would build you a 800 hp, single turbo big cam 3 or a twin turbo 1200 hp. They claimed the 1200 hp would go coast to coast without shifting. They must have used I-10 Lol.

I think the badest of them all was/is the 1150 cube KT series Cummins @750 hp stock, out the door. For years, Freightliner and IHC were the only oem offerings.

We had one 1693 Cat in a Pete and one KTA600 in a KW that ruled the roost in the log woods. However, if they got their front end on the down hill side in a bad turnaround, they were stuck. The rest of us with our little motors had no problem:)

• Like 1

Guest 04Mach1

I'd forgot about the old KTA Cummins. My grandpa and dad were always dead set on Cat. They did have 1 Big Cam 400 in a 1976 KW W900, 1 Detroit 8V92 in a 1968 Mack then the other 8 trucks had Cat. My dad's truck was a 1972 KW W900 with a 1693. My grandpa's truck was a 1980 KW W900 with a 3408. The other 6 trucks were a mix of Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks with 3406B engines.

My dad's 1693 ruled the road around here until my grandpa got the 3408. They did a mixture of logging, cattle hauling, and general heavy haul with 3 axle lowboy trailers.