• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cluster Odometer mileage

6 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I think you can with no problems.  The odometer/trip odometer gets its' info over the data bus from the PCM.  If the cluster fails to receive the distance info from the PCM the odometer will flash off and on until it gets new info or turn the ignition off.

See that's what i thought too.  I have people swearing up and down that it's all stored in the cluster.  Has anyone tried it?

I have a cluster from an 01 I bought from a junkyard 9 years ago when my ECM died. It read the mileage of the donor truck and displayed that. I never drove the truck with it  installed since it did not fix my problem and the truck was undriveable until I replaced the ECM. But never acted any different while it was in there. I beleive the ECM stores the true mileage. Not sure what it would have done had I left it in. 

Seems it ought to do something to let you know the mileage is wrong or I could throw it back in and now my truck has 133k instead of 456k.  :think:

Guest 04Mach1

The mileage of every ICU (cluster) I've replaced over the years has always been stored in the ICU from small cars all the way up to class 8 trucks. The ECM and PCM might track mileage also but I don't believe the ICU communicates mileage with any other modules. I'm not even sure if the hacked Chrysler-Cummins ECM tracks mileage. A genuine Cummins CM550 VP44 ECM does track miles and hours and even time stamps faults codes with date and time they occured. I've never had ICU mileage match mileage stored in other modules either, in most cases the ECM shows higher mileage.

15 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

The mileage of every ICU (cluster) I've replaced over the years has always been stored in the ICU from small cars all the way up to class 8 trucks. The ECM and PCM might track mileage also but I don't believe the ICU communicates mileage with any other modules. I'm not even sure if the hacked Chrysler-Cummins ECM tracks mileage. A genuine Cummins CM550 VP44 ECM does track miles and hours and even time stamps faults codes with date and time they occured. I've never had ICU mileage match mileage stored in other modules either, in most cases the ECM shows higher mileage.

So what I am getting from this is the cluster, ICU, is going to show its own mileage and not the actual mileage per your experience. That is what I am reading, correct? Makes me wonder how you could know what true mileage is when someone offers up a truck with low mileage. Hmmmm????

Guest 04Mach1
3 minutes ago, dripley said:

So what I am getting from this is the cluster, ICU, is going to show its own mileage and not the actual mileage per your experience. That is what I am reading, correct? Makes me wonder how you could know what true mileage is when someone offers up a truck with low mileage. Hmmmm????

Correct. I honestly don't know if the ICU or the ECM is correct. I'll have to get a picture to share next time I have a truck connected to my laptop.

I personally prefer hours. In a typical class 8 long haul OTR truck 20,000 hours equates to roughly a million miles. Extended idling such as tow trucks, utilities trucks, or even sitting in the driveway warming up is hours and use that the odometer in our trucks never captures

13 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

Correct. I honestly don't know if the ICU or the ECM is correct. I'll have to get a picture to share next time I have a truck connected to my laptop.

I personally prefer hours. In a typical class 8 long haul OTR truck 20,000 hours equates to roughly a million miles. Extended idling such as tow trucks, utilities trucks, or even sitting in the driveway warming up is hours and use that the odometer in our trucks never captures

Thanks. On my truck I know the ecm is correct or at least what my odo reads. Dont know about hours.

My truck idles a lot during the heat of the summer and cold of the winter when the truck is my office.

• Like 1

• Staff

The cars I work on store the mileage in the DIM, Driver's Information Module, other wise known as the instrument cluster.

These DIMs go bad and I've replaced them with salvaged parts.  No problems other than the mileage displayed is what the 'donor' car had accrued.  

As for setting any codes or turning any lights on if switching clusters, No it shouldn't.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

That's why it hard to base a maintenance requirement for something and figure life expectancy of a part when the truck sits and idles. Like mine, I've got to warm up some in the cold morning before leaving. MoparMom will beat the trash out of me if I dump her in a cold cab and tell her to wait for the truck to warm up. Then with winter coming there might be day where I want to just sit on the truck and work while I'm waiting for her treatment I'm not going to sit there and freeze to death I'll leave the truck run and continue working the website. So like when my odometer tracked the AirDog pump for 250k miles when the pump bearings failed. That's miles but I can't count all the thousands of hours of idling. Heck, I remember plenty of times being out on vehicle accidents and leaving my truck running to keep emergency lights running and place to get warm on a near zero night. Some might claim that life expectancy of the AirDog was low and doesn't meet the lifespan. I know there is a ton of idle time on my engine.

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's why it hard to base a maintenance requirement for something and figure life expectancy of a part when the truck sits and idles. Like mine, I've got to warm up some in the cold morning before leaving. MoparMom will beat the trash out of me if I dump her in a cold cab and tell her to wait for the truck to warm up. Then with winter coming there might be day where I want to just sit on the truck and work while I'm waiting for her treatment I'm not going to sit there and freeze to death I'll leave the truck run and continue working the website. So like when my odometer tracked the AirDog pump for 250k miles when the pump bearings failed. That's miles but I can't count all the thousands of hours of idling. Heck, I remember plenty of times being out on vehicle accidents and leaving my truck running to keep emergency lights running and place to get warm on a near zero night. Some might claim that life expectancy of the AirDog was low and doesn't meet the lifespan. I know there is a ton of idle time on my engine.

With that in mind, who gets back from the moon first??? Hmmm???? A little chicken humor ther for the screamin beaver!!!

• Haha 1

• Owner

Holy chit man! I'm driving the wheels off this beast trying to catch up with you an extra 100k miles ahead of me. With me driving out to Brogan, OR doing fuel solenoid on a 97 Dodge and then find out it doesn't work. So another trip with my test light to find out the solenoid is bad. So now waiting for the new solenoid and then install it for the guy. I'm still averaging 100 miles minimum per day. Max of about 350 miles per day. Saddle getting rather worn out. 

I know the feeling. My job in Maryland lasted 14.5 months. I went home 90% of the weekends at about 880 miles just to and from. So about a grand a week average. You wrack up the miles quick that way like you are doing. Now I am working in SC witn a 350 mile round trip. All this is why I bought new to me seats. Mine were gone.

6 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Did they look like these?

1664532784_front_21.jpg.23fd4794d6cc9741cea7a1d56b610294.jpg

Ahhh, no. Mine have seat belts coming out of them.

• Staff
4 hours ago, dripley said:

Ahhh, no. Mine have seat belts coming out of them.

You must use them to keep from 'flying out'.

582173692_seatbelt.jpg.17c32988919e6428281b6bb9e961d795.jpg

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

You must use them to keep from 'flying out'.

582173692_seatbelt.jpg.17c32988919e6428281b6bb9e961d795.jpg

Thats what wife looks like when in the truck and the tires touch ant thing but asphalt.

Then goes to the her "What were you thinking mode!!!!!".

a-funny-looking-rooster-chicken.jpg.25336761ca03e5f9f82fc8db4f9d5ff7.jpg

Then we relax with friends to get over it.

chicken_jacuzzi-11965.jpg.c0c4e0db0dcbbd8eb38c41fc499ddb0b.jpg

• Haha 4

• Owner
1 hour ago, dripley said:

I would like to see my hours, where did you do this?

I'm going to bet either off the DRBIII tool or the CCD Network tool. Hoping for the CCD network tool to have this added. :pray:

361k miles and rolling head for 362k miles quickly.

Edited by Mopar1973Man