• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Floor jack recommendation

The new jacks are junk.  I use old jacks because they are cheap and safer.  It will mess up your grill the first time you use it, but it only happens once.  They just don't make cars and trucks like they use to.

1445864998_SafeJack.png.34e7ab0f9a9c47336d549e374a59b857.png

What is more important is safe blocking.  Jack stands are junk.  Wood is cheaper.

- John

1243704979_SafeBlocking.jpg.aa16ed94b17a6baedca597cd9293dd9b.jpg

• Haha 1

Here is my line up of floor jacks. Left to right, 3.5 ton Napa, 2.25 ton Walmart (old), 1.5 ton Evercraft Napa (aluminum and steel) and 1.5 ton Walmart carried in my pickup. The new 1.5 Evercraft is going in the truck too. Napa has a bunch of them on sale with their "Real Deals" flyer till the end of the year. I think I will get this one for the shop. I really need three for tire rotations.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=2.5%2Bton%2Bfloor%2Bjack&q=N%3D1000001900%26Nty%3D1%26Ntk%3DKeyword%26Ntt%3D2.5%2Bton%2Bfloor%2Bjack&isProduct=true&indices=PIA

1117181644.jpg

Guest 04Mach1

In the shop where they are continually getting heavy use Napa jacks are awesome. For the semis we use Napa 20 ton air over hydraulic bottle jacks and had very few failures.

I bought an hf 3 ton, but think I really want to look for something older and rebuildable.  Maybe an old Napa? Or?  Any suggestions on what to look for?  I want a lifelong jack, don’t think the HF is likely up for that task.  Hf can live in the truck after that.

Edited by portlandareae28

I have a harbor freight 3 ton steel and a 3 ton aluminum racing jack. Bought them both together 3 yrs ago, they are starting to show signs of age and the many things you shouldn't do with you jack. But still hold up ok. Don't trust them to hold something up all night long anymore though. 

I think I'm going to give a napa jack or the red jack from tsc a try next. Or just be like my father a buck up for a nice snap on jack, he bought 3 of 3tons 20 odd years ago and they're still working great. 

I have 2 napa and 1 ac delco 3.5 ton jacks, they handle the dodge just fine. All are chinese made and non rebuildable. 1 napa jack failed just after the 2 year warranty. Ac delco has been going strong over 3 years now. Napa usually has them on sale for $199.

I think hein werner is usa made

Edited by CTcummins24V

• Owner

As for jacks and usage...

As for changing flat tires. Myself I've still got the factory Mitchellin tire under the back and it looks brand new. It got less than 100 miles on it. For flat tire usage, I just use the factory bottle jack being it's EXTREMELY rare for me to even have a flat tire. 

Now as for shop usage and jacking up the truck for service. Any old jack will work bottle jack, floor jack as long as the jack rating is above the total weight you plan on lifting. Beyond that point I do not do any service on a truck typically that is resting on a jack. I've got four 6-ton jack stands. I'll lift the truck and jack stand for safety. Then this frees the jack for other tasks possibly. 

It just a safety thing to me that I never work on a vehicle that is resting solely on the jack. Doesn't take much pushing and pulling you could knock it off the jack and seen it done. Even if its something quick I still put a jack stand under the truck and rest the weight on the stand and leave the jack in place lightly holding. Just less chance of getting hurt this way.

As for jacks, any jack will do the job as long as its rated to lift more than your load.

• Like 2

I had a Walmart jack years ago and it worked for 7-8years then started to lose prime $120, about that time I got one for b day, it's a craftsman 3 ton low profile aluminum$300, quick up till it hits something then it works normal. Had it for about 8 years now, no problems yet but age is showing. I also have a 20 ton bottle jack and some 4x6 wood blocks in the truck. Used it few times now for other people. One was a 14k loaded gooseneck Trailer with a mud truck on top, blew a tire, if it wasn't for my jack, we'd have to unload the trailer, the thing lifted the whole side of Trailer up enough to change the tire. It's not that big ether, I have it in 5gallon bucket along with few other things.