• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil pressure gauge for fuel pressure? Which test port on filter housing on a 99?

Can an oil pressure gauge be used for fuel pressure? I hooked it up to both test ports on filter housing with no readings. I cracked the line each time to get the air out and has fuel but get no readings. Can this not be done or am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance 

I’m currently waiting on vulcans lift pump relocation kit and 3/8 fuel line from the pump to the housing and also to the vp44. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. I’ll be able to use the tee for the gauge then. I have an edge comp box, without tap, at the moment. Could this setup with a carter pump be enough to tap the pump possibly?

1 hour ago, Killentime said:

Can an oil pressure gauge be used for fuel pressure? I hooked it up to both test ports on filter housing with no readings. I cracked the line each time to get the air out and has fuel but get no readings. Can this not be done or am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance 

I’m currently waiting on vulcans lift pump relocation kit and 3/8 fuel line from the pump to the housing and also to the vp44. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. I’ll be able to use the tee for the gauge then. I have an edge comp box, without tap, at the moment. Could this setup with a carter pump be enough to tap the pump possibly?

I am using a digital oil (Speedway) Gauge for my fuel pr. And have a mechanical gauge by the lift pump so no fuel inside the truck 

This is my first post here so don’t know why it posted my typing again. But I wonder if I got a bad gauge maybe? It hasn’t moved off zero. It’s a mechanical gauge and I have fuel at the gauge so I don’t think air is the problem

12 hours ago, dripley said:

I could be a bad gauge or the crappy carter pump. Either way I would not tap the pump for more power until you can verify your fuel pressure. 

I’m thinking possibly a bad gauge also. I actually hooked up to both ports with no movement of the gauge. My truck actually has two carter pumps on it. The previous owner cut the fuel line by the tank and installed another pump there. Both pumps run so I feel that I should be getting some kind of reading anyways. 

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would look at getting a good gauge with 0 to 30 psi realm and not oil pressure gauge. The accuracy isn't as good.

I will be getting a fuel pressure gauge soon. I’ll have to order one off the internet because no local parts house has a fuel gauge above 15psi. I figure having a oil pressure gauge is better than no gauge at all. Until I can get the real deal anyways. 

And im not doing a tap until I can 110% for certain do it safely. It is my over all goal but I don’t have $1,500 just laying around to blow on a new ip 

Edited by Killentime

• Owner
4 hours ago, Killentime said:

I’ll have to order one off the internet because no local parts house has a fuel gauge above 15psi.

Most local part houses don't carry diesel style gauges mostly all gasoline stuff. Even with today's cars gasoline engines are now in the 40-60 PSI range with fuel injection and throttle body injection (old school). 

4 hours ago, Killentime said:

And im not doing a tap until I can 110% for certain do it safely.

Good call... But I'll let you know the 4 ways to kill a VP44

1. Low fuel pressure - 14 to 20 PSI is optimal.

2. poor filtration. Aim for a good 3um filter if possible or double stacking.

3. High AC noise - Bad alternator diodes will kill a VP44.

4. Poor lubricity - Bosch states fuel should be <460 HFRR all today US diesel fuel is ~520 HFRR.

I've had good luck with the cheap $19 Summit 1/4" NPT mechanical liquid filled gauges.

The 100psi gauge screwed on to the filter port has been going strong for 4 years.

I killed the 30psi gauge in 2 years, despite using an Autometer snubber; Summit sent me out a brand new replacement no questions asked, even though I mentioned it was 2 years old.

A short length of grease gun hose between the gauge & the snubber is what I ended up with, still going strong, here it is with barely any needle flutter when I was testing a couple different 30mm lift pump springs, a 14psi unit in this instance (I usually run 20psi on my modded VEs) -

• Owner
3 hours ago, ofelas said:

killed the 30psi gauge in 2 years, despite using an Autometer snubber; Summit sent me out a brand new replacement no questions asked, even though I mentioned it was 2 years old.

The sensor has to have distance from the snubber to allow the pulses to fade in the distance of travel. Hence why I created this write up and still to this day my ISSPro EV2 sensor is still working perfectly. A common mistake to place the sensor right on top of the snubber and then to lose the sensor shortly afterward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody have any input on the Napa hfp953 lift pump? My relocate and big line kit came in yesterday so I’m going to tackle that project tomorrow evening. Was thinking may as well start fresh with the whole setup and go ahead and put new pump while I’m there. 

• Staff

That's an Airtex  E7153 pump repackaged for NAPA.  I have one as a backup to my Fuel Boss.  It's hard press to produce 14PSI @ WOT.  I wouldn't use it as my main pump. 

DSCN0021.JPG.2760eba465883c58e83c2de85a164551.JPG

Napa is selling it for $227, Summit Racing $100.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/airtex/part-type/fuel-pumps-electric-external/fuel-type/diesel?page=2