• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

cold engine quiet

Maybe a silly question but I'm curious if anyone can explain to me why my 98 24v is much quieter at cold startup than when its warm? Theres barely any fuel knock at all and its really smooth sounding. Once it warms up and during the warmer months it just sounds like most other 24v. I run 2 stroke oil in my fuel. It would be great if I could figure out how to make it sound so smooth all the time. 

• Owner

I've gotta ask if you checked IAT and ECT temp values. Typically in stock form the timing is cranked up somewhere around 19 to 20 degree on a cold startup. Fully warmed the timing is back to 12.86 degrees. 

If the ECT or IAT are misreporting it might change the timing. Like MPG switch regards timing in the realm of 3 to 4 degrees from stock value as it warming up.

• Owner

Clue. When an engine gets quiet the timing is retarded. This tends to make me a bit worried and want to check for error codes like the P0216 code. even like my last VP44 when it failed it died with the P0216 code as well but it was stuck in full advancement it rattled and knocked badly. 

As timing retards engine gets quiet. This is because the fuel is actually igniting slower and later and actually doing it work after TDC. As timing advances the ignition of the fuel is happening before TDC so you start to hear the rattle as the fire starts the ignition BTDC and then pushes over the top and finishes with the power stroke.

You might look at other factors as well. Fuel and cetane amounts. Higher cetane fuels are lower BTU's but ignite much faster. Low cetane fuel will have more BTU's energy and burn slower and later.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I have the opposite issue. my motor is super quiet at idle when hot (coolant temp ~200F). Compared to when its cold its a snarling beast.

EDIT: although I should mention that for me the motor gets fairly quiet much above 195F of coolant temperatures.

Edited by pepsi71ocean