• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tcase dead, what are my options?

As title states, my tcase went crunch on the way to North Dakota for my new job. I'm assuming the way it locked up the innards are toast. I had to disconnect both drive shafts to move it. 

As of now, the truck is going to be put into hibernation until I figure out what's going to happen next. That depends on whether or not I can get a decent case for cheap enough. I've also considered adapting it to run an np205, and hopefully not have to worry again. But I really don't want to have to get new yokes and drivelines. 

What do you all suggest? Who could rebuild it for a reasonable amount? Who sells gears and stuff besides all state? 

The truck has 4.11s in, and at 75 it runs 2500rpm. I'd like it lower, so does anyone have a higher gearset perhaps for the tcase?  

Many thanks my friends. 

I wouldn't mess with a 205 conversion. The DHD is a very good t-case, it has a wider chain than the DLD. The axles determine your gear ratio not the t-case. 2nd gens were 3.55 or 4.10. Are you sure it is the t-case and not the transmission?

This outfit has a lot of parts and some good info on the DLD/DHD.

https://torqueking.com/category/1994-2002-dodge-ram-2500-3500-transfer-case/

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

I wouldn't mess with a 205 conversion. The DHD is a very good t-case, it has a wider chain than the DLD. The axles determine your gear ratio not the t-case. 2nd gens were 3.55 or 4.10. Are you sure it is the t-case and not the transmission?

This outfit has a lot of parts and some good info on the DLD/DHD.

https://torqueking.com/category/1994-2002-dodge-ram-2500-3500-transfer-case/

The axles have 4.10s,i was just hoping I could regrar it cheaper that way, but I suppose since I want to rebuild both axles I'll regear them to 3.55. 

I'm positive it's not the transmission. I shifted through all the gears and listened, and when I shifted the tcase to 4lo, it bound up and stuck. 

The reason I ask is because it is easy to misdiagnose drive trains. What were your symptoms before you pulled over? In general a t-case is very reliable if the oil is changed and not run low. As you know trannys can die anytime. Axles can be suspect too. I would pull the drain plug on both and let a small amount of oil out to see what is what. 

Mine went out the shaft came out of the spider gear,. I got a rebuild kit from US gear in Jackson mo and it contained everything except the chain.  They are not hard to rebuild at all , just take your time getting the pump to line up was the biggest problem and even that was nothing but a little time and patience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to ask the question what was the cause of the failure in the first place? That is something that has to be looked at too. 

I couldn't tell you, the truck is 120 miles away from me at my friends shop. I had just changed a leaky rear seal, and refilled it with ATF type f. But who knows the condition of the thing from the previous owner. Or how much abuse it took. 

The truck is getting parked until I address all the issues. She gets new injectors, a compound kit, new injection pump, a quadzilla, new clutch hydraulics, and I guell I'll rebuilt the tcase. 

It should take about a year or so to get it all done. But I'm tired of worrying about it every time I take it on the highway. This is the second time she let me down. No more.

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I think like it's been pointed out, easiest way is to get a used dhd and slap it in. You can find them on Craigslist sometimes for 300-400 bucks. Not sure if driveshaft will need shortened or a new yoke needed. 

I've been looking, but I'm also broke at this point, and I don't want to chance another tcase popping on me. I figure rebuild mine and have no worries.