• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Overhaul time

12 minutes ago, Jack Owen said:

Head gasket went south. May as well do it right?

I would see how inside looks like before I'd commit to do the whole thing. 

But yeah I'd go with studs. 

If you got time and money I guess you could go through the whole engine. That was my tactic back in the day, if I knew I was doing head gaskets I just did the whole thing. These were just sbc and sbf in older trucks, pretty easy to get done. I personally don't think you need overhaul especially if it was taken care of, like good oil and coolant. You’ll know more when you get the head off.

• Staff

I'm more inclined to be in the "might as well" camp. 

I'd hate to do a HG and then in a few months start getting more blowby, or have a bearing issue. 

You won't know all of the engine condition just taking the head off. 

367K miles is nothing to complain about. These are pickups and not OTR trucks, very different load cycles for most of us. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Thanks 1

I know this isn't what everybody will agree with, but I reused my head bolt 3 times, my rational was that the local Cummins, as well as Freightliner dealer didn't stock them, parts routinely needing replaced would be in stock, right? In fact you can get a stretch gage to measure bolts, I personally never had a problem until this last rebuild, Bolts are torqued in sequence 3 times, you will feel a bolt stretch, (if you zoom on pic you will notice the stretch), but then again I don't put out the HP some other guy's trucks do, I did this time buy some new Cummins NOS bolts because 1 bolt stretched. Bought my rebuilt kit from CCP diesel, whole kit with Mahle pistons was under 1K. Also if valve guides are sloppy, you can get inserts from Highway and Heavy parts20180328_172323.jpg.a3fed5ddd37aa145976eca85e3484131.jpg

Sorry my bad, I got valve guides from AGkits, If you need them I'm sure I can find part #'s  but my head had a lot more miles than yours does, might not need them.

Edited by Blueox01
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It would be worth it just to put studs in and not worry anymore. 

DSCF4463.JPGDSCF4468.JPG

24 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It would be worth it just to put studs in and not worry anymore. 

DSCF4463.JPGDSCF4468.JPG

Not too start a big disagreement , $ 425+ Vs $125 Studs Vs Bolts depends on what you want out of your engine, 500+ HP or reliable 300+ Hp truck, goes along the line of putting big wheels on a truck for show or a truck setup too pull.  some people have unlimited funds for toy's, but sometimes practical is more sense, First "53 block lasted 450K, tried to have it welded(bad choice) New block from Cummins never had a head gasket blow or leak on either engine using same head bolts. But then again I don't have a 500 HP engine. But I know I tore up 3 NV5600's even though I did everything I could to baby them, there is always a weak link in the drive line. matching to what your need or use the truck for, and budget sometimes comes into play.

2 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Not too start a big disagreement , $ 425+ Vs $125 Studs Vs Bolts depends on what you want out of your engine, 500+ HP or reliable 300+ Hp truck, goes along the line of putting big wheels on a truck for show or a truck setup too pull.  some people have unlimited funds for toy's, but sometimes practical is more sense, First "53 block lasted 450K, tried to have it welded(bad choice) New block from Cummins never had a head gasket blow or leak on either engine using same head bolts. But then again I don't have a 500 HP engine. But I know I tore up 3 NV5600's even though I did everything I could to baby them, there is always a weak link in the drive line. matching to what your need or use the truck for, and budget sometimes comes into play.

Well i am sitting on the fence with this with a HG replacement coming up. Would like to have quad one day maybe ibut cant see going over 350 may 400 hp. The studs really add to the cost. Just how much can the bolts hold up to safley? My oe ones anyway. As long as they are in spec any way.

Guest 04Mach1
14 hours ago, Jack Owen said:

Head gasket went south. May as well do it right?

I would just do the head gasket and freshen up the head. No sense in rebuilding an engine that isn't even half life unless it's been neglected most of it's life or damage found in cylinders  after head removal dictates a overhaul is needed.

Just my $0.02 though. I don't believe in fixing anything that ain't broke.

5 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

I would just do the head gasket and freshen up the head. No sense in rebuilding an engine that isn't even half life unless it's been neglected most of it's life or damage found in cylinders  after head removal dictates a overhaul is needed.

Just my $0.02 though. I don't believe in fixing anything that ain't broke.

I agree. The engine appears to be stock so it should be good for another 350k. 

Jack Owen, what went south on the head gasket? Just an exterior  coolant leak, like the right front corner? Mine had a leak there at 258k, I changed gasket, reused the head bolts, torqued them the old fashioned way, 120# and shut the hood. That was 70k ago. 

• Staff

If you rebuild I wouldn’t use mahle parts. Dad’s rebuild got mahle wrist pin bushings... let’s just say that it now has Cummins parts. Mahle didn’t make it 20K miles before it was knocking. 

The builder quit using them compleatly. 

Edited by AH64ID

46 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

If you rebuild I wouldn’t use mahle parts. Dad’s rebuild got mahle wrist pin bushings... let’s just say that it now has Cummins parts. Mahle didn’t make it 20K miles before it was knocking. 

The builder quit using them compleatly. 

Wow that's not encouraging, I think my whole kit was mahle.  But only needed 1 wrist pin bushing for #6 rod, that I did get from Cummins.

Edited by Blueox01

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, Blueox01 said:

I want to correct my post these bolts were not head bolts but main cap bolts, was just to show bolt stretch, the point was you will feel a bolt stretching.

20180328_172323.jpg

The bolt on the top is definitely out of spec, you can visually see the stretch about half way down the threaded portion. I would say OEM head bolts are good for atleast a one time reuse as long as the bolts do not exceed Cummins specs for max length. I built quite a few 6BT and ISB engines that were still in stock form reusing head bolts with zero warranty comebacks. It's all in the air and fuel mods on the engine and future plans that will determine whether head studs or OEM head bolts should be used.

For my personal truck I would probably go for head studs even though I never plan on the mods that would benefit from them. Of course it would all depend on the budget I had at the time of repair.