• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ford CP4's grenadeing themselves...

stodg73

Just learned that the newer Ford CP4's are grenadeing themselves and taking out the injectors as well with metal fragments.  Costing $10,000 plus to fix.

There is a solution to use a return line back to the tank and let the shavings then be filtered out by the fuel filter.

Guest 04Mach1
4 hours ago, stodg73 said:

Just learned that the newer Ford CP4's are grenadeing themselves and taking out the injectors as well with metal fragments.  Costing $10,000 plus to fix.

There is a solution to use a return line back to the tank and let the shavings then be filtered out by the fuel filter.

That solution will not work because the first place the fuel goes is to the injectors when it leaves the CP4. There is no feasible way to clean the metal shavings from the injectors in the field so while costly, the most efficient repair is to replace the injectors. Fuel coolers, fuel rails, and pretty much every part of the fuel system needs flushed to prevent metal shavings from getting into the new CP4 and new injectors.

Any High Pressure Common Rail fuel system will require injector replacement if the high pressure fuel pump fails and sends metal shavings in the fuel rail. I've seen the metal shavings scenario on CR5.9 and 6.7 Cummins, Duramax, as well as 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstroke many times. Pretty much in my opinion it doesn't pay to own a HPCR diesel unless it's a piece of equipment used to make money for a business you own. They are definitely not the daily driver, grocery getter, or pleasure vehicle type of owners vehicle unless $10,000 - $12,000 is available every 80,000 - 100,000 miles for a fuel system overhaul.

12 hours ago, stodg73 said:

Where did you learn this? Without maintenance history, how can we determine Ford CP4's are at fault?  

Currently under warranty, this mechanic has been doing all our maintenance and has all the records for them, miles are between 150,000 and 8,000 currently.

He did not tell me how many miles this happens at.

I will talk to him and get some more information.

Cool thanks. I wonder if this is random or a trend they are seeing? Most CP3/4 failures that I know about are usually water related issues. Makes you wonder if in fact the customer did check/drain his water separator, a month goes by really quick...

• Owner

Maybe the customer should buy quality fuels. In 350k miles I've only seen the WIF light once. After that I've never drain more than maybe 1 ounce of water from the AirDog. Factory filter never sees water. I change filters every 60k and drain the separators then still always less than 1 ounce. The one time I tripped the WIF light I was being cheap and bought fuel at a mom and pop station. Never again.

Mine has never illuminated. While I have seen a little water over the years I have never seen much. While I do try to buy from well traveled stations it is just possible some of the places I go. I have bought at mom & pop places but not as a regular habit. Once I travel a road 3 or 4 times I usually know the busy and cheaper stations.