Mopar1973Man

Alternator & PCM failure

I'm broke down in Parma, ID. My alternator cooked on me. Measured the winding at about 433F yeah it was hot. Changed the alternator and no love. I'm not sure if there is any fuse issues etc. I'm safe for the moment I've got shelter and food for the moment. Thanks to @BrianAtSmarty covering me for now. Post more later.

• Sad 2

Good to hear you have shelter and planning ahead with food and water as discussed recently in a post has proven to be very wise and useful.

Best of success to you with the repair and safety.

Michael

• Thanks 1

That sucks, sorry to hear that. What brand of alternator was it? Wear your grids hooked back up? I'm literally scared now of grids cycling even with your MPG fooler on to minimize the run time.

Grids were hooked up and functional. I'm not sure of the PCM is damaged. Again we are safe. The weather is dipping down to close to single digits. Again we are safe. @BrianAtSmarty got us out to dinner tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to help him unload his trailer and he'll haul me home.

• Like 1

Good to hear your safe. Checked the weather on Google and saw it was going to get very cold tonight in the Parma area. Wow! Have a great dinner and safe trip being hauled home tomorrow. 

Interested in knowing more about the repair after you get home.

Good to hear you are both safe and sound. Will put a big gold star by Brians name for helping.

Glad to see there was someone to help you when far from home.  It's a good feeling having help a phone call away. 

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is in the other shop ready to go. Back up plans are go and ready.

Now you know why I've got the 911 system in place. It nice to know there is help out there. Find out that my insurance will only tow 11 miles. Worthless... (State Farm). As for 911 system. I got lodging, meal, and even a tow home. Even few shots of Canadian Rye Whiskey. :)

I can tell the dash volt gauge is worthless. I knew about the alternator issue by the volt meter on my USB power point. Dash gauge was close to 14 and USB was showing 12.3. That when I could smell the windings burning. Grabbed the temp gun and verified it was cooked.

Yeah I know I can bypass use the old school regulator but I'm not going to hack up a loom for band-aid.

Another thing is do I have +12V on the blue wire? 

qracyr.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michaelsloft said:

Best of all you were prepared and made it home safe and sound!

Again this was a nice example. I had tools in the truck and was capable of changing the alternator. Then again is was a failure I could do nothing about being most likely the PCM is failed. I had my bug out bag behind the seat. I had food, water and blanket in the truck. So we are good there. What to do next? Try the insurance company and find out they only tow 11 miles. I'm 125 miles from home. No shop around Ontario, OR not going to fix the PCM problem so that was a dead end.

Now since I'm good friends with @BrianAtSmarty and strangely enough I'm also part owner to SmartySupport.com website now. Time to call in favors from friends. Again I've got to thank Brian and Gail both for putting us for the night and getting us out for dinner last night. Then I helped Brian unload his trailer and get the Cummins loaded up and strapped in. 

I'm exhausted and tired. I'll make my Thursday trip with the 1996 Dodge and then Friday I'll look into the Cummins and find out what happened. Yeah I know I could do the old school mod yet. Still would rather fix it right that do band-aid work still to have to repair the PCM again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

We made it home safe and sound. The Cummins is here at home. 

That makes tow number 2 for the Cummins. 362k miles I'm going to say the PCM fried. 

We are even now. 1st tow, blown lift pump, second tow blown ECM. Glad you two made it home safe and sound.

I am wrong. I have had 3 tows. Twice for blown ECM's.

54 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Would having a fuse on charge wire prevent that from happening 

Isn't that what the 140A fuse in the PDC is for?

7 hours ago, dave110 said:

Isn't that what the 140A fuse in the PDC is for?

Yes, but for those of us that did the ground mod, we never put one back in, or at least I haven't yet. It's on my to-do list now, just need to find the right set-up.

I'm not saying you would prevent alternator from going out, but it should protect electronics.

9 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Would having a fuse on charge wire prevent that from happening 

Doubt it being no codes for over volt. But would of been nice to have a fuse on the field lead. Then the PCM would of been protected.

23 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doubt it being no codes for over volt. But would of been nice to have a fuse on the field lead. Then the PCM would of been protected.

Look forward to your suggestion for a field Fuse.  I like protection.  Especially from things that I have no control over.

Michael

Like I've been wrapping my mind around the field lead setup. I would have to get a measurement from an alternator at the full field and fuse it properly for the max field amperage. 

Being there is ZERO connection between the field and the output lead. There was something else that happens in this case to cause the field failure. Now it possible that somehow the field could have shorted to the armature. Again there is a problem here being the alternator would have ran wild and caused a overvolt code. No codes were set. Possible the blue lead shorted to the ground early inside the alternator and burn the PCM

Stator and diodes have zero connection to the armature and the field lead. 

When it failed I was seeing 12.3 volts on the USB socket. The dash gauge was still showing 14. I could rev the engine and get 13.9 out of the alternator. Changed the alternator and nothing. Again there is too much that could be wrong. 

• No +12V from the PCM on the blue wire.
  • No ground reference on the green wire. 
  • Bad alternator. (Field or diode pack)