• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Extended crank to start

9 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Rockauto, it was the Mopar kit. 

Good qaulity? 

12 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

See below.

FWIW: My older 60HP injectors were popping ok, but I had one injector that was failing, and another one that was on the way. The failure was the pintle needles were starting to bind up inside the injector nozzle. I pulled them apart to clean them and couldn't get them to clean up and the one that was sticking was most likely the cause of my smoke and timing knock.  I tested my spray pattern using brake cleaner and some electrical tape that I used to pack out the straw so it could only go one way. That's how I know the one injector was clogged.

Fast forward to my 100's, They were doing good but popped low. At stock 300bar my 100's were smoke free, and smoked less with my smarty. At 322Bar my 100's show no smoke at all with my smarty.

Your injectors are VCO though correct? Wont that make a difference in smoke and lag? 

22 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Good qaulity? 

Your injectors are VCO though correct? Wont that make a difference in smoke and lag? 

Yes and no, At lower pop pressures i think it causes a noticeable lag, Because the needle is blocking most of the tip. (unlike the SAC style), but VCO's are designed for on road engines, and they do burn cleaner especially at higher pop pressures, because the lag at the start of injection with a VCO nozzle is lessened.

I believe that smoke control and lag are directly related to pop pressure. And what you see at 280 bar vs 320 bar is huge. Even for me I noticed the difference any time I would accelerate out of at turn. (like making a left or a right). At 280 bar I would roll coal every time. At 320 bar i didn't see any smoke at all making the same turns, not to mention that I need less throttle to make the same acceleration pattern.

And pushing the throttle deeper didn't make any smoke either.

Edited by pepsi71ocean

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

So from what you said, ecm must trigger power wires to energize coils and not the grounds. This brings another question that I may have asked, did you tie in both positive coil wires to a single switch? So when you push a button you're energizing both grids? 

"So from what you said, ecm must trigger power wires to energize coils and not the grounds" ....  Yes.

This brings another question that I may have asked, did you tie in both positive coil wires to a single switch? ....  Yes.  The two positive wires from the ECM are not used - I removed them and sealed the ends for protection.  I ran a light gauge wire from a "hot" source, through a fuse (5 amp is adequate), and then to the momentary switch.  From the switch, I ran a light gauge wire to one of the exposed coil terminals.  I ran a jumper wire from that terminal to the other exposed terminal.

So when you push a button you're energizing both grids? ....  You got it!   Now you can be the boss and tell them electrons when to flow!  Your alternator will thank you.

- John

• Thanks 2

how many miles on your current injectors ? i have the DAP aftermarket body 75hp...with like 60K miles on them. i am just now starting to think pop pressure is falling...slightly lopey at idle BUT i am also changing banjo washers at the back of the head first...rough nose up starts right now.

i have a 4th gen style steering from napa, greaseable and not mopar junk. 40K plus and in good shape

Edited by Stormin08

32 minutes ago, Stormin08 said:

how many miles on your current injectors ? i have the DAP aftermarket body 75hp...with like 60K miles on them. i am just now starting to think pop pressure is falling...slightly lopey at idle BUT i am also changing banjo washers at the back of the head first...rough nose up starts right now.

i have a 4th gen style steering from napa, greaseable and not mopar junk. 40K plus and in good shape

I have 10k on them. I’m also replacing my banjo washers and return t grommets. Did you just get the linkage listed for a 2010 truck? 

2 hours ago, Stormin08 said:

I had 33,000 on mine by the time I was at 280bar. They were 300 when I started. But the smarty exasurbated this issue.  

The last 10-15,000 miles were becoming an issue for me. So who knows where they were at 15,000 miles.

Edited by pepsi71ocean

11 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I had 33,000 on mine by the time I was at 280bar. They were 300 when I started. But the smarty exasurbated this issue.  

The last 10-15,000 miles were becoming an issue for me. So who knows where they were at 15,000 miles.

Hmm i gotta do something different cuz im not happy they way theyre running. 

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doesn't make any sense to buy RV275 injectors which are higher priced. RV275's are not pop tested or flow matched. :think:

I think the benefit there would be new springs that are not tired from previous 100,200,300k on them that got repo repoped. So I would think new RV275's will last longer without dropping pop. :shrug:

• Like 1

• Owner
12 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

With no timing/fuel controller won't those 90 HP injectors be smoky?

If popped at 300 bar sure will. 310 bar or slightly high will clean them right up. After talking to @pepsi71ocean about his being just re-popped to 325 bar it cleaned them right up. 

24 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I think the benefit there would be new springs that are not tired from previous 100,200,300k on them that got repo repoped. So I would think new RV275's will last longer without dropping pop

What I'm finding out is all injectors settle shortly after being built. Yeah, you can have RV275 injectors that are not flow matched or pop matched. Basically, 6 random injectors shipped to you. Then have them in about 10k to 20k miles drop about 10 bar as everything wears in. Be a different story if the RV275's were flow matched within % volume and pop matched within % of bar for the set of 6 sent to you.

That is what I'm fighting now is my current (7 x 0.0085) were popped to 305 bar now are below the 293 bar bottom limit. I'm sure they're more in the 260 to 270 bar range now with the amount of white smoke and lower MPG numbers. Only got about 75k miles on them.

The stock injector is like a 7 x 0.0061 vs 7 x 0.0065 RV275 (IIRC). The +90 HP is 7 x 0.0085

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If popped at 300 bar sure will. 310 bar or slightly high will clean them right up. After talking to @pepsi71ocean about his being just re-popped to 325 bar it cleaned them right up. 

What I'm finding out is all injectors settle shortly after being built. Yeah, you can have RV275 injectors that are not flow matched or pop matched. Basically, 6 random injectors shipped to you. Then have them in about 10k to 20k miles drop about 10 bar as everything wears in. Be a different story if the RV275's were flow matched within % volume and pop matched within % of bar for the set of 6 sent to you.

That is what I'm fighting now is my current (7 x 0.0085) were popped to 305 bar now are below the 293 bar bottom limit. I'm sure they're more in the 260 to 270 bar range now with the amount of white smoke and lower MPG numbers. Only got about 75k miles on them.

The stock injector is like a 7 x 0.0061 vs 7 x 0.0065 RV275 (IIRC). The +90 HP is 7 x 0.0085

Will 90s with pop pressure at 315-320 still be laggy? 

If you can install a set of 90s with pop pressures raised why not throw in 100hp vco injectors and set pop at 325 and have a lag and smoke free truck? Possible? 

7 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

@pepsi71ocean Do you ever turn your smarty off and run just your 100s at the current 322 bar? Is it laggy at all? 

8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Hmm i gotta do something different cuz im not happy they way theyre running. 

Probably popping low.

3 hours ago, IBMobile said:

With no timing/fuel controller won't those 90 HP injectors be smoky?   

I don't think so. When I first installed my 100's they were very clean.

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Will 90s with pop pressure at 315-320 still be laggy? 

If you can install a set of 90s with pop pressures raised why not throw in 100hp vco injectors and set pop at 325 and have a lag and smoke free truck? Possible? 

@pepsi71ocean Do you ever turn your smarty off and run just your 100s at the current 322 bar? Is it laggy at all? 

Raising pop pressure decreases lag by shorten duration and increasing velocity.
When i first installed them 3 years ago, the 100's with no programming(Timing) burn stupidly hot, however it spools like a chainsaw. I haven't run the truck with the smarty turned off with the current pop @322bar with the truck in 300 parts currently I'm out of commission. I do believe that raising the pop pressure cured about all of my smoke issues with the Smarty turned up. I believe that the truck would drive just fine, just not for towing, I need that timing from the smarty for EGT control.

Hmm I need to keep egts to a minimum which means I need tuning of course. How hot were you running empty with just 100 hp vcos? I’m tempted to delve into a set of 75 or 90 vcos tip set at 318 what do you think? 

I would like to just send in my 75s to get popped but I think I’ll be happier with vco injectors. 

I would problably send in my stock ones to Install tips on. 

Edited by Marcus2000monster

3 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Hmm I need to keep egts to a minimum which means I need tuning of course. How hot were you running empty with just 100 hp vcos? I’m tempted to delve into a set of 75 or 90 vcos tip set at 318 what do you think? 

I would like to just send in my 75s to get popped but I think I’ll be happier with vco injectors. 

I would problably send in my stock ones to Install tips on. 

I would see about 300F difference. But I also think it also depends on what you have set up. My dodge I need to leave in neutral at traffic lights because my TC is so low I see 450F in gear with my foot on the brake. When you go from neutral to drive at a light you can hear the engine load up, and the turbo start spooling. It turns heads in cars haha. I see running down the road 600-700 at 70mph. Towing is in the 800-900 range under full boost.

Are your 75's SAC style?