• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buying a rolled over truck.

I’m looking at buying a 99 24 valve that has been rolled over to either part out or fix up. It has 285k runs well drives well I’m not sure if it’s a 5 or 6 speed yet. Owner claims it gets 21MPG on hwy. Also says he still drives the truck occasionally. He wants 4500$. What do you guys think? Link below for pics. https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d/reduced-1999-dodgex4-quad-cab/6754872442.html

99 has the POS roll over safety belt lock module under the front seat... I wonder if it worked?

2 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Yes. 50 more or less than asking pxrice? 

He means $2000

If I am looking to buy parts to make money I normally use the %50 rule of thumb to cover time and costs that are not directly evident.   

IE if I buy it for $1000 I need to make $2000 to make it worth it.  

I dont see making $9000 that vehicle.   I see ~3-4k in parts, ~$500 on scrap and ~80 hours of trying to part stuff out.

Edited by Me78569

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Either part out or fix up body. 

I bought a 93 Jeep Cherokee 250K for and no interior for $200, parted it out by the time I sold the body to some guy I made $1200 profit. If you can pull the parts and don't have to worry about it costing $45 to ship a $25 part I don't think you'll have any problem turning a buck, But get it as cheap as you can.

Edited by Blueox01

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

If I am looking to buy parts to make money I normally use the %50 rule of thumb to cover time and costs that are not directly evident.   

IE if I buy it for $1000 I need to make $2000 to make it worth it.  

I dont see making $9000 that vehicle.   I see ~3-4k in parts, ~$500 on scrap and ~80 hours of trying to part stuff out.

Might not double his money, but hard to find a good used 24V with those miles under 4K, not to say they can't be found. Still have Trans, Trans case, Diff,Leather interior, Dash, some body parts. I think I would leave in Truck till sold so buyer could hear run , De-grease and power wash engine. I sure I could turn a decent profit, depends on how fast a person needs to recoup the initial investment https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/cummins-59l-engines-for-sale-i4c235f575m166280,

16 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

I don't do Facespace  What's molested?

%85 of the 2nd gens on the road today.   

I simply cannot value a 24v with 300,000 miles at 4k.   There is a reman 24v on craigslist locally for 4500 that is "rebuilt"  Considering the time it takes to part a vehicle you need to consider time into the entire thing,  if you spend 80 hours tearing stuff apart / talking to people / post on craigslsit / meeting people / shipping then $1000 profit is nothing.  you can make more working at hobby lobby.  

it takes a lot of time and effort to part a vehicle.  Been there done that, it's not profitable unless you get your vehicle at pennies on the dollar.

I would trust a running engine over a "rebuilt" personally,maybe because I've seen others peoples work. that might just be me though. Most rebuilds don't come complete, Long Blocks etc, lots of extra goodies on a pulled motor. But that's just me.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

for me I see 300,000 miles and I automatically think "it will need to be rebuilt"  

I hear "rebuilt" I see 18yr old kid slapping in bearings, rings, head gasket and painting the block.  I bought My 01 w/68k pulled weight until the 53 block cracked at 453k, got new block from Freightliner, had crank checked, head done, since it was already off , went another 400k, till I burned a hole in #6, Crank is still standard, #6 sleeved, Head needed a few valve guides and a few valves replaced, surfaced. Can turn the crank by hand after all the mains torqued.Hey but who's know might start knocking at start up or leak like a sieve going down the road. But hey it's looks purdy. I guess to each his own.

main bearing oil clearence.jpg

block on stand (23).jpg

block on stand (22).jpg

Edited by Blueox01
  • Like 3