• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Pressure gauge

Okay getting close to wanting to throw fuel in my tank and see if my engine even runs, but I want to make I didn't miss (or screw up) anything. So It's been 8 yrs since it's run some my memory it a little foggy, anyway when I turn key to on Oil pressure gauge goes up to 40psi, Tap starter it goes back down, this correct? Obviously I don't know what it will when actually started, Sure I'll have oil pressure just don't want to backtrack any on any wiring.

8 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Okay getting close to wanting to throw fuel in my tank and see if my engine even runs, but I want to make I didn't miss (or screw up) anything. So It's been 8 yrs since it's run some my memory it a little foggy, anyway when I turn key to on Oil pressure gauge goes up to 40psi, Tap starter it goes back down, this correct? Obviously I don't know what it will when actually started, Sure I'll have oil pressure just don't want to backtrack any on any wiring.

Can’t help you they’re but get videos of startup and Post em up!

• Thanks 1

My oil pressure gauge doesn’t go up with key on either, but maybe some are wired different . Thier is acually a slight delay on start up which I believe is normal for these trucks.

I would hook up a mechanical gauge on the engine at first start up just to verify the  factory gauge.  just for peace of mind  

• Thanks 1

I checked the leads to the sensor, I have 5v at the orange wire and continuity to ground at the bk/lb blue wire, so I believe that's right, anyway to test the sensor before I spend the $$$ on a new one?

14 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Mine sensor did the same thing,  it was a result of a bad sensor.  proper operation should mirror actual oil pressure if you have a pressure sensor and not the switch update.

Switch update?

you can probe the output from the sensor to the ecm

Some trucks got a fuel pressure switch uipdate and a dummy gauge, some got true oil pressure sensors. 

the pressure switch is a 2 wire setup the sensor is a 3 wire setup if I remember right.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

you can probe the output from the sensor to the ecm

Some trucks got a fuel pressure switch uipdate and a dummy gauge, some got true oil pressure sensors. 

the pressure switch is a 2 wire setup the sensor is a 3 wire setup if I remember right.

My switch is a 1 wire set up as is the spare harness I have.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, Blueox01 said:

Well if the electronics is acting up I would screw in a mechanical gauge to verify that you in fact have oil pressure.  You have too much invested in that motor to not!!!! 

My factory electronic gauge is still acting up but I'm thinking Ground on the 5v system.  I'm running a second Oil pressure gauge.

Michael

• Thanks 1

Okay, I rechecked the connector I have 5v with key on/ too OR wire and .044 ohms at BK/LB wire, nothing at sensor wire. With key Off I have continuity to Gr with the BK/LB, nothing on other two wires, I did ohms test sensor it has 1.16 omhs between terminals BK/LB and sensor wire terminal

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, int3man said:

Well if the electronics is acting up I would screw in a mechanical gauge to verify that you in fact have oil pressure.  You have too much invested in that motor to not!!!! 

My factory electronic gauge is still acting up but I'm thinking Ground on the 5v system.  I'm running a second Oil pressure gauge.

Michael

Well It turns out that my Oil Pressure and MAP Sensors was the defective 5 volt source.  And the replacement sensors are not working.  I replaced the aftermarket MAP Sensor, with the old OEM and it started to work again.  I just bought a new Oil Pressure sensor from a member here and will install it next week.  I had 4.98 volts from Red to Black wire on both MAP and Oil Pressure plug.

Didn't ohm the sensor.  Sorry

I have a second gauge screwed in at the filter second plug.

Michael

Edited by int3man
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, int3man said:

Well It turns out that my Oil Pressure and MAP Sensors was the defective 5 volt source.  And the replacement sensors are not working.  I replaced the aftermarket MAP Sensor, with the old OEM and it started to work again.  I just bought a new Oil Pressure sensor from a member here and will install it next week.  I had 4.98 volts from Red to Black wire on both MAP and Oil Pressure plug.

Michael

I'm must be checking it wrong, I'm going between Batt Gr on both tests

15 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you have a 3 pin sensor then you have to use the ECM sensor ground in that plug. 

If you have a 1 pin like I do then you use the battery ground. 

Ok, I have 5v between OR wire power & BK/LB wire Sensor ground, I also get 4.6v between Power OR wire & Sensor GY/BK wire, that right? Looking at Wiring diagram 8W-30-33 2001 Manual

Well I've got an aftermarket sensor, I'll go to Freightliner or Cummins tommorow and see what they get for one.

18 hours ago, int3man said:

Michael

Just got back from a WOT test and got up to 20# of boost.  V2 Tune Works Great!!  No Smoke, only in O.D. and laying on the throttle. YEA Baby, So much fun when it works!!  Oil pressure sending unit next week and then I can loose that pesky check gauges light.  I wish that I had not thrown that original Oil pressure sending unit away.  It was probably still good.  Oh well lesson learned.

Michael

11 minutes ago, dripley said:

Get that boost pressure up and it most likely wont smoke in OD. I would that would be capable, but I am not a turbo man by any means.

Big Turbo and Big injectors take time to get the Boost up.  The V2 really helps with it's ability to tie your less that factory fuel level to Boost Level!  

Michael

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2018 at 7:37 PM, int3man said:

Michael

Ya, you beat to that oil pressure sensor, I was going to get it today,early bird gets the worm.

Edited by Blueox01

32 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Ya, you beat to that oil pressure sensor, I was going to get it today,early bird gets the worm.

I was an idiot and threw the old sensor away.  I would bet that the old oil pressure sensor was still good!!  My MAP Sensor was!

Michael

12 minutes ago, int3man said:

I was an idiot and threw the old sensor away.  I would bet that the old oil pressure sensor was still good!!  My MAP Sensor was!

Michael

Ya I'm gonna dig through all my Cummins parts that are scattered all over, see if for some reason I kept my old one, can't remember why I replaced it, but I am a pack rat, maybe I have one. Somewhere.