• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Possible VP44 trouble!!!

So I have an issue and I'm hoping it's not my injection pump. I've check all my fuel lines for leaks and everything is working as it should, no air all the way from the tank to the return line off the side of the vp44. Truck will not crank. Went to bleed lines 1 through 5 at the head and only getting fuel to lines 1 and 4. 

Both the key trick and a scanner, and no mods at all to the truck

That's why the only thing I can narrow it down to is the vp. Just seeing if there is any other cause that would make fuel come out of 2 of the lines and not the rest, the pump is under warranty and was put in back in June along with a new lift pump and fuel filter was just replaced today. Dropped and cleaned the tank, all the lines from tank to vp and still nothing. No trash was in the tank or lines but I figured why not drop it and check just in case

Edited by JamesL8816

Disconnect the VP44 wiring harness connector completely. 

Connect pin 6 on the VP44 to battery ground. 

Connect pin 7 on the VP44 to battery positive. 

A diagram of the sockets on the VP44 wiring harness connector is included below. The pins on the VP44 will be the reverse of this diagram (a mirror image). Make sure you know which pins are which... numbers are molded on the connector and possibly on the VP44 (I can't remember). You must insure you don't cause any short circuits or make connections to the wrong pins on the VP44. I would also strongly advise you to add a 15 amp fuse between the VP44 and battery positive. 

As soon as you make the last connection the VP44, it will be ON and ready to go. Attempt to start the engine in the normal manner. If everything is working properly, the engine will immediately start and idle and do nothing else. 

• Like 2

Good to go man, thanks for the quick replies and help. I will try in the morning and update if it's dead. And if it is I will update after the new pump is installed. Now would it also be a good idea to go get a new fuel pump and install it as well if the vp needs to be replaced