• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Soldering Cables

I know little to nothing about wiring...Finally replacing my oem battery cables, need to attach new cable to existing ground on the passenger side with the grey plugs. I want to crimp and solder the connection, I already have rosin core solder wire, do I need to dip the ends in rosin flux to prevent corrosion? Or is the rosin core wire enough? I can’t seem to find rosin flux anywhere. 

• Owner

I was just using acid core flux on doing my alternator cable. The flux is what cleans the wire metal to make the solder weld to the wire. The flux part typically is an acid material to remove all oxidation on the wire.

1 hour ago, CTcummins24V said:

do I need to dip the ends in rosin flux to prevent corrosion?

No. 

1 hour ago, CTcummins24V said:

Or is the rosin core wire enough?

Typically yes. Again the flux part is to make the solder bind to the wire metal. Has nothing to do with corrosion protection. 

I used to use acid core wire myself, then I had few failures where the wire rotted internally and broke off the terminal, so now I only use resincore wire. I personally don't think it would hurt anything to dip wire into some flux, just make sure the wire is clean with no corrosion.

Eliminate the quick connects on your ground wires, Run one solid wire straight to the battery.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Pretty sure mine was plumbers flux. Do they make flux specific to electrical?

Yeah I think plumber flux is acidic as it turns green on pipes. I always backed it out as much as I can,  but it would be best to have resin flux. I remember long ago someone using pine tree sap for soldering boards. 

2 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

According to what I've read online, yes. Plumbers flux is some acid flux, electrical flux is called a rosin flux, so I've read.

I will have to look at mine when I get home.

51 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yeah I think plumber flux is acidic as it turns green on pipes. I always backed it out as much as I can,  but it would be best to have resin flux. I remember long ago someone using pine tree sap for soldering boards. 

Never heard of the pine sap thing. Thought you were kidding.

2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

This guy I used to know when I was a kid really loved that stuff for fixing radios and such. I'm surprised myself it's not more common.

Some of the reading I have done says the the acidic flux is really bad on soldering smaller wires than on larger ones. So no matter what I have I am not going to sweat it to much and just keep an eye on them for anything unusual. Makes me want to drain some sap out of the pine tree in the back yard.

• Like 1

• Owner

Same here the old acid core I got hasn't been any problem so far in what I've used it for. You have to remember that the lead/tin mixture seals the copper. So the acid part is only there for a short time and the lead/tin seals the copper. I only use it for the big cable stuff. I've got small diameter flux core solder but it for smaller soldering jobs.

• Like 1