• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel mileage sucks! Please help!

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Mine is close to right on down low but skews as boost pressure go up. This why I tend to use my a-pillar gauges more so than Quadzilla display. Quadzilla isn't the only one with this issue. Edge Juice does too. 

My question then is, is this a mathematical issue within the Quadzilla programming or is it an issue with the sensor? In other words is the information skewed before the ecm uses it to process fueling values or is it skewed when the quadzilla is processing the information for display? If the information is skewed before the ecm processes it then the fuel tables are worthless because they're basically using an arbitrary value to compute fuel values.

• Owner
Just now, Scottfunk said:

it skewed when the quadzilla is processing the information for display?

Bingo. Again this is a problem both Edge juice and Quadzilla both have in using the boost information from the MAP sensor. Being there is 3 different MAP sensors used and at least two different versions of ECM software used for boost information it does make things a bit of a mess. The only thing the Quadzilla does is verify the sensor is working. As for accuracy I wouldn't suggest use the Quadzilla for boost readings. 

So the information the ecm is receiving from the sensor is correct and the value displayed is incorrect? Just making sure we're saying the same thing. Maybe I'll try a different MAP since they're relatively cheap and see if it helps.

Edited by Scottfunk

9 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

So the information the ecm is receiving from the sensor is correct and the value displayed is incorrect? Just making sure we're saying the same thing. Maybe I'll try a different MAP since they're relatively cheap and see if it helps.

No electric sensors are not always %100 accurate, they don't need to be.  They are used to sense change in boost as a reference point.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, Scottfunk said:

So what if we take the trans out of the equation... What's a normal load/boost reading in park, idling? I read 6-7% load with 2 psi boost. Is that normal?

My 99 idles in part at 200F with 100's popped at 320bar. back when they were at 280 bar I was seeing upwards of 250-300F.

However, under load I was seeing higher boost and EGT's because I had to have my foot farther into the throttle in order to keep it moving.

2 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

Is there any risk of harming engine components by performing a dead cylinder test mechanically; holding a rag against the back of the injector and cracking them open one at a time to observe changes in operation?

I would pull and get the injectors popped personally. Find out what size they are and what your popping at. I have done what you speak of, but your not going to hear the change. the only thing that really works is the 3 Cylinder high idle mod, and you can swap injectors around, but that's a waste of time.

If you have say 100's or 150 hp injectors and your programmer isn't tuned right for them you will see issues. Pop to low, same thing.

I had issues with my brakes dragging, transmission binding and other dumb stuff including a wheel out of alignment. But 11mpg is still better then a ford Excursion getting 6mpg. I just think you should be 17-20mpg easily in that GMC.

Is this realistic? It's not that I can't afford to pay for pop testing but I can't afford to have my truck down and I can't afford to drop the injectors and have a guy tell me I can pick them up thursday and then listen to some excuse about how they won't be able to get to them until next month.

Check eBay, there's some cheap pop testers around. You'll also need the Cummins adapter. I bought one, I think from India. The gauge was crap, so I replaced it with one I sourced locally. It's cheap-ish and it works. I've re-popped my injectors a few times on the Cummins, and even in my VW TDI.

Edited by kzimmer
Typo