• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel mileage sucks! Please help!

8 hours ago, Scottfunk said:

Is this realistic? It's not that I can't afford to pay for pop testing but I can't afford to have my truck down and I can't afford to drop the injectors and have a guy tell me I can pick them up thursday and then listen to some excuse about how they won't be able to get to them until next month.

I don't know about Idaho, but I did 2 day shipping on my Injectors from NJ to DAP in UT and had them back in the same week, and that included getting them re popped, flow tested, and having them ship them back.

I went through the same gambit. I had 4 injector shops tell me everything from 5 day to 2 weeks to get my injectors done, since no one stocked shims and springs etc. So I was concerned about that. But DAP had that stuff in stock and I believe that it was done in the same day and finished.

Mike may even have an injector tester set up or know of a place up that way?

Edited by pepsi71ocean

• Owner
8 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Mike may even have an injector tester set up or know of a place up that way?

I wish. I would be pop testing my own injectors. :broke: Head gasket and this PCM project have wiped me out.

The best place I know of is in Lewiston, Idaho they do pop testing for free. Then if you next to actual pop to set then its $9 an injector.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Master Tech in Boise will pop them right in front of you for free. Mine were all sorts of bad...low pop pressure, bleed off, you name it. They are rebuilding them right now for $65 a piece, genuine Bosch parts and matched, not a bad price just bad timing. I will report back how it affects my situation.

• Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, Scottfunk said:

Master Tech in Boise will pop them right in front of you for free. Mine were all sorts of bad...low pop pressure, bleed off, you name it. They are rebuilding them right now for $65 a piece, genuine Bosch parts and matched, not a bad price just bad timing. I will report back how it affects my situation.

@Marcus2000monster you might want to follow this. 

• Like 1

Apparently they also have a one hour turnaround time when there's a shop hand available. Brand new genuine Bosch nozzles matched to 305 Bar =/- 5 Bar, "These are technically 50HP nozzles," he tells me. And I got a free T-shirt! Great experience all around.

IMG_2648 (1).JPG

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Scottfunk said:

Brand new genuine Bosch nozzles matched to 305 Bar =/- 5 Bar

Why do all the shops always pop them low?

Right out of the FSM.

fuel-pressure-specs.jpg

Then within the next little bit of mileage, the pop pressure will fall a bit more after everything settles. It sure does shorten the injectors lifespan before the pressure falls off again. :shrug:

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Any reason not to send my oem injecotrsnin and have 90 hp vco nozzles installed and popped to 320?

You could. Nothing wrong with that...

15 minutes ago, Scottfunk said:

You might be right, I do remember hearing something about 315, maybe it was 315 =/- 5. I was so distracted by shiny new nozzles I was having a hard time concentrating.

Might want to check. Hate to see you install and have to pull them back out again. 

I’m thinking I’m going to send in my oem sticks and have either 75 or 90 hp nozzles installed and popped at 320 bar. Pop pressure sound good? Should I do 75 or 90? Obviously smoke and lag is reduced with higher pop pressures but are 90s going to create egt issues? I will eventually have tuning but not for a while. @pepsi71ocean @Mopar1973Man