• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thoughts on fuel cooler

I work in the oilfield, and was helping one of the mechanics fix one of our coil tubing wet kits, namely the hydraulics cooler and fan. It got me thinking about transmission coolers, which led me to think about using one for a fuel cooler, fan and all. Would it be a waste?

I also read about FedEx(I think) had problems with their fleet trucks breaking down because of their vp pumps, so they used heat sinks and apparently the problems dropped dramatically. Anyone hear about this? 

Just thinking too much again about how I can prolong the life of my pump, different ideas, etc. 

• Owner

Maybe down in New Mexico. Sure don't want to have cooler up here I've already seen -20*F this winter.

The other part is if you running Quadzilla you want about 80 to 140*F fuel temperature which is fine. Above the 140*F is getting too warm. Typically the fuel temperature and the IAT run side by side for temperature. 

Capture+_2018-08-24-14-37-15.png

Guest 04Mach1

Doubt a fuel cooler would do much for our small ISB's. Inadequate fuel flow through the VP causes the VP to overheat not that the fuel entering the VP is too hot. On most heavy duty diesel engine applications the "fuel cooler" actually does the opposite of cooling by heating the fuel to close to engine coolant temperature since most fuel coolers are water cooled using the coolant circulating through the engine. 

• Owner

Actually, the fuel leaving the back of the head with 190*F thermostat will heat the fuel to near coolant temperatures. Like most will tell you and me. Keep your fuel tank above 1/2 tank and temperatures stay down. Like this last summer with temps as high as 100 to 110*F for the summer, I never got past the 127 to 132*F in fuel temperature. Even after sitting in a parking lot, asleep in the cab for 2.5 hours with the A/C going woke up to fuel temperature still hanging at 125*F. As long as the fuel tank is kept 1/2 tank or better the temperature isn't a problem.

• Like 1

Well I do a lot of road time, like you Mike, But I use my full 35 gallons while driving. No half tank fill ups for me. I do not monitor fuel temp, have no way to. But some of my trips would require 3 stops for fuel where one or none are easily possible. It has worked for me for 17 years and I have no change is site. Here's to the low fuel light, let it burn.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Actually, the fuel leaving the back of the head with 190*F thermostat will heat the fuel to near coolant temperatures. Like most will tell you and me. Keep your fuel tank above 1/2 tank and temperatures stay down. Like this last summer with temps as high as 100 to 110*F for the summer, I never got past the 127 to 132*F in fuel temperature. Even after sitting in a parking lot, asleep in the cab for 2.5 hours with the A/C going woke up to fuel temperature still hanging at 125*F. As long as the fuel tank is kept 1/2 tank or better the temperature isn't a problem.

I wasn't referring to a big truck style fuel cooler. More like a transmission fluid cooler with a fan on it. I figure throw it on the return side and hopefully cool the fuel off. I also thought about wrapping the vp in header wrap if it would help with heat soak. Trying to think of everything I can do to keep that pump cool. I'm going to run 2 cycle oil too, and try to keep it full. I have full time employment now, so I can afford to start upgrading the fuel system more. I already bought a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, next move is to do the draw straw mod and move the return to the fuel neck like some of you have done. 

Also, update on my tcase. The front bearing fried, and the input shaft wobbles in it, so most likely the planetary is done. At least my buddy who pulled it out thinks. Thank God for good friends. 

Just finished reading the entire high fuel temps thread. So I guess all my ideas were tested out already. Good, means less stuff to buy lol. Also, this got merged with this post. But thanks again my fellow oil burners. 

Edited by Ravewolf

Something to think about. When we used to full-time in an RV in Yuma Arizona. The best spot to get my oil changed was a place that mostly handled agricultural equipment.  There was quite a few 5.9 on different types of equipment.  I inquired about the Heat and they now they held up in the heat.   He said no problem running 24/7.  At the time I didn't think to look if they were Ppumped or vp44 but my issues of hot fuel no longer in my head. Can also tell you Gulf War 1 it was quite a few 5.9 running different type of stuff and sit there and go 24/7 day after day after day no problem and it was pretty hot over there

6 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Something to think about. When we used to full-time in an RV in Yuma Arizona. The best spot to get my oil changed was a place that mostly handled agricultural equipment.  There was quite a few 5.9 on different types of equipment.  I inquired about the Heat and they now they held up in the heat.   He said no problem running 24/7.  At the time I didn't think to look if they were Ppumped or vp44 but my issues of hot fuel no longer in my head. 

Edited by 015point9
Spelling

• Owner

Since the Quadzilla shows the fuel temperature inside the VP44. I've never been over 140*F even after heat soak. The whole heat thing for the VP44 is nothing but scare tactics. Heat failures are extremely rare at best. You would have to have a lift pump producing less than 10 PSI all the time. Have an engine that is overheating. To get a VP44 to fail from heat. As long as the fuel is moving out the overflow the heat is traveling to the fuel tank. The problem is after long hauls like Dripley and myself can do the fuel tank becomes heat soaked as well. Your heat exchanger will only cool to the temperature outside anyways. If its 110*F outside that will be the best the fuel temperature will drop too. 

Kind of like the intercooler and radiator. They can only cool as low as the outside temperature.

• Like 1