• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 no start

So a couple months ago I get in the truck and no start. Only relay clicking. So, using forums to trouble shoot my problems, I ordered Larry b’s over oversized contacts. A few weeks of working lots of overtime and rainy weekends went by and finally got decent weather to take on the job. Installed the parts and what do u know, still no start. I’ve swapped fuses and relays so that’s no the problem. Is it possible that the neutral safety switch has gone bad? All of the threads I’ve read, people say they have reverse light problems with the switch. Is this a hit or miss with the reverse lights giving it away or could I have a problem elsewhere? I’m tired of having to raise my hood to start my truck every time I go somewhere. Any help would greatly be appreciated. 

• Staff

Get a test light or a volt ohm meter and a jumper wire

Test for 12 volt at terminal A/brown wire at the starter motor when the ignition switch is in the start position, if voltage then starter motor/contacts are bad.

If no power at the brown wire for the starter motor then:

At the starter relay test for power all the time at pin #30.  If no power at #30, check fuse #2/30 amp.    

At pin #86 check for power when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. If no power at pin #86, check ignition switch for power at  yellow wire, if power then check power at jumper yellow wire to yellow/red wire. 

Ohm test pin #85, should be near 0 ohms in park or neutral, if not check wire to trans mission and test neutral safety switch.  

1572225001_starting1.jpg.3d09e9a78be91d3eb3ecd2b72a4add25.jpg

Edited by IBMobile