• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo smart blow off valve

• Staff
39 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

BOVs what do they do?

When the engine is under very high boost condition and the throttle is abruptly closed a high back pressure condition occurs, also known as turbo surge, in the turbo charger and can be damaging.  You can hear when this happens, we call this 'turbo bark'. 

The blow off valve, BOV, releases the boost pressure preventing damage to the compressor, intercooler, pipes and hoses.  If your boost pressures are low then you don't need one.  With higher boost numbers and you've heard your turbo bark a BOV might be what the truck needs.   There are others on this forum that have more experience with them. 

certainly they dont hurt, must diesels dont use them as most dont have a throttle plate. my 08, one of the first mods was to remove the throttle plate. 

if you have turbo bark issues, you can install one or look into a better matched wheel set.

3 hours ago, Cummins_Crazy said:

The turbosmart race port is electronic and uses the tps to know when you chop the throttle. I've have a lot invested in my compounds and would like to prevent any damage done to them that's why I ask. From what I've researched not many diesel have them. 

From what I gather I would say it would be a good investment for you.

• Owner
23 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m not familiar with BOVs what do they do? Being I don’t hear much or see my trucks with them I’m guessing it’s not a necessary or must have part. 

Back in the day there was a guy that said that BOV would help in keeping the turbo spooled up better on manual transmissions. Basically when you clutched in and shifted the BOV would open dumping the pressure and allowing the turbine to spin freely and then when your released the clutch and got back in the power it would not lose all the spin of the turbo. If this is true or not I'm not sure but I do remember this tidbit. 

Normally when you drop the throttle the fuel is gone the turbine has lost its drive pressure. Then the compressor wheel ends up barking because the boost pressure is attempting to spin the shaft backward escaping out the mouth of the compressor side. 

The true method was set the BOV for your maximum boost and let it blow off the boost instead of blowing up the engine. Most of us don't worry about the Cummins it can handle easy 30 to 40 PSI of boost without any mods. The head gasket is the weak point and that where studs will pull you farther in the power. 

• Like 1

In my understanding, blow off valve should work every time you let off the throttle, let's say at the preset of 5-10 psi just to keep positive pressure  in the system. And not be based on maximum boost. But I guess to each their own and it can be set up multiple ways.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Interesting subject here...

I know I tossed that idea, but if I drive like I'm the one to fix it, then there is no need for it. But I have got on it hard more than once and let off quick and had pretty good bark so I'm still debating. I just might one day. Need more things under the hood to worry about :truck:

the BOV is inline on the air intake aide prior to any throttle blade. Yes, in a gas world, when the throttle blades close the pressure from boost opens a relief valve (bov). 

similar to a wastegate on the drive side...XXX amount of pressure and a relief is opened. 

in the case of high boost and needed quick release of the throttle, a bov may be a good option. generally a single turbo, lower boost charger wont need it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 7:57 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Like my stock HX35W turbo was very proned to turbo bark. Now with the HX35/40 hybrid its never happened yet. 

HX35W - 54/60/12

HX35/40 Hybrid - 60/60/12

If you never barked a 35/40 your not driving it hard enough or don't live in a big city. I was trying to get onto hwy 99 had to really go and exploded the whole thing when I shifted. Parts were found in piston and every where else

20170402_154711-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1