• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I think I found a winner here.

pepsi71ocean

So I went to do a brake job on a Honda CR-V with over 227,000 miles on it. And the customer had a brake noise coming from the front end.

The issue I found was that the drivers side caliper had a frozen glide bolt. And on top of that the shim was slid all of tthe way down on one side. I've never seen this in 15 years doing brake jobs, and  I'm almost sure it was done on purpose. 

So now the car makes a clunking nose because the pads are now lose inside the brackets, but I found that these calipers are original to the car. I figured you guys would find this interesting. 

I put the brake system back together and I told them that they should really consider replacing the calipers/rotors/pads/and soft lines as I question their integrity. I priced this all out on RockAuto with coated rotors for less then $300 after cores were returned.

The customer is more concerned about the current clunking noise created, even thought I told them that they are safe ... they think that something will break because the pads are now loose in the brackets. But the core concern here is the brake calipers failing due to age. Anyways this one is the most miles I've seen on a OEM caliper in my life!

received_316481525863462.jpeg.51cd6573d5dc4d0c2ecbbe61a2ea1e61.jpeg

I would also note that is just a little of the rust inside the cup, as more of it was falling out as i pulled the caliper up off the pad. Before I decided to take this photo, I knocked allot of it out. The rust was trapped behind the brake shoes. It was quite interesting in over 14 years of doing brake jobs I've never seen a piston so degraded with rust. But that's Jersey for you.

What do you guys think?

Edited by pepsi71ocean

• Staff

I would have told them to fix it right or I'd  walk away from it.  You don't want to fool around with a safety idem like brakes.   Peoples lives are on the line and your liability.

Years ago I had a car with a leaking front brake caliper.  The owner asked me to "pinch off the brake line" going to it.   My answer was "No, I don't think so".  I left the car the way it was and they could get someone else to do it. 

I hear a clunking coming from what i hear is the rear of the car, not the front, but the customer is adamant its coming from the front. The only thing missing are the shims, and that fact that the glide bolt was seized. The car sat for 1.5 years before being driven again.

I'll tell them that it should all be replaced, but what do you think else it could be?

Edited by pepsi71ocean

3 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

If noise coming from rear are brakes drum?

I believe so, Its at low speed only on turns.  I haven't heard any noise however when braking. But if it was from up front, it doesn't appear if you apply the brake pedal at all either.

56 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I believe so, Its at low speed only on turns.  I haven't heard any noise however when braking. But if it was from up front, it doesn't appear if you apply the brake pedal at all either.

On wives 06 crv front disk and rear were drum.  (Rear drum) The adjustment screw assembly would get miss aligned sometimes.  The tangs at the ends got worn (cheap alum) and adj screw would get at an angle and make a thumping noise. New screw assembly and shoes solved problem.    

• Staff
5 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

the customer is adamant its coming from the front.

Remember, the customer is always right.  

Tell them "OK We know the front brakes are shot and that may be the noise you are hearing so let's fix what we know is wrong first.  Since the front brakes are in such bad shape I suggest inspecting the rear brakes also;  we may have to do both front and rear brakes.  What do you think?"

This puts the ball in their court  

Could that clicking noise at slow speed turns be an outside C/V joint which is just behind the brake backing plate? 

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 1