• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

IM THINKING VP 44

2002 6SPD ....pulling on highway truck died ....restarted after about 20 minutes but would only pull about 1300 rpm at most

-idles great but if I don't start it everyday I have to bleed the lines to get er going....wont rev past 1300 at best ,just stutters and white smoke

???...seems like a vp44 death

Edited by BIGMIKE
add media

22 minutes ago, BIGMIKE said:

2002 6SPD ....pulling on highway truck died ....restarted after about 20 minutes but would only pull about 1300 rpm at most

-idles great but if I don't start it everyday I have to bleed the lines to get er going....wont rev past 1300 at best ,just stutters and white smoke

???...seems like a vp44 death

You need to scan for codes. Defiantly sounds like a bad VP. To further diagnose we need to know what codes you have. 

Got 216,253,1693,251,252,1688,0113

all from ecu

Ive had it in the garage only using it to pick up new sleds.

I did alot of the tests with no luck so i just wanna make sure its a vp before i buy one.

Who sells the best ones??

Edited by BIGMIKE

I would also definitely take a look at your lift pump.  14 at idle seems low if you have an electric lift pump.  Surely your fuel pressure is lower above idle which means your Vp44 is not being cooled or lubricated properly.  Need to be no lower 14 under full throttle for proper cooling and lubrication which would put you somewhere around 20 psi at idle.

I have never lost a Vp44 and still on the original from 2002...and it has been wire tapped for the majority of it's life at over 200k.  I have always had a fuel pressure gauge and eventually switched to a mechanical fuel pump which is as rock solid dependable as can be.  I'm at 15-16 idle and 19-20 at full go.

Gaurantee yourself you will never have a lift pump issue again and you are also guaranteeing yourself a long living Vp44. 

15 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Lucky... Let's see if you pass me at the 243k mark for my last pump. 364k on the clock.

Lol...I hope I can beat you but I don't DD it anymore so miles are less frequent than before.  It pulls the boat and street queens it once or twice a week while giving your average sports car owner an opportunity to embarrass themselves.

Your 243k is a testament to proper fuel pressure relative to the lifespan of the VP. ?

Edited by Bullet

8 minutes ago, Nutter said:

I know it's not fancy diesel shop but Auto Zone sells brand new (not reman) VP for $1600 and $550 core under commercial program. 3 yr warranty too. 

For those that tap the pump wire this is probably a pretty good idea.  They are probably less likely to inspect for wire tap and just give you another new pump without question under warranty.  Most of the time I bring back a core part and I already have my money back before they even look in the box...if they even look in the box at all. 

3 hours ago, Nutter said:

I know it's not fancy diesel shop but Auto Zone sells brand new (not reman) VP for $1600 and $550 core under commercial program. 3 yr warranty too. 

You have link for this pump? New sounds to good to be true.

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Lucky... Let's see if you pass me at the 243k mark for my last pump. 364k on the clock.

246 ON THIS ONE

9 hours ago, Bullet said:

I would also definitely take a look at your lift pump.  14 at idle seems low if you have an electric lift pump.  Surely your fuel pressure is lower above idle which means your Vp44 is not being cooled or lubricated properly.  Need to be no lower 14 under full throttle for proper cooling and lubrication which would put you somewhere around 20 psi at idle.

I have never lost a Vp44 and still on the original from 2002...and it has been wire tapped for the majority of it's life at over 200k.  I have always had a fuel pressure gauge and eventually switched to a mechanical fuel pump which is as rock solid dependable as can be.  I'm at 15-16 idle and 19-20 at full go.

Gaurantee yourself you will never have a lift pump issue again and you are also guaranteeing yourself a long living Vp44. 

New lift pump ...still doesn't explain the bleedback

1 hour ago, BIGMIKE said:

246 ON THIS ONE

New lift pump ...still doesn't explain the bleedback

We need to know WHAT lift pump you have. Dont matter if its new i gaurantee its a pos if your fuel pressure is 14 psi at idle unless you have a mechanical pump? Did your last LP take adump just before the VP failure? My Fass 150 puts out 21 psi at idlr and i never seee below 16 wot. 

3 hours ago, dripley said:

You have link for this pump? New sounds to good to be true.

No link but you have to get it under commercial price. Dude here has car clubs under commercial pricing. He did get me a receipt with part number. I'll figure out how to take a pic and post it.

8 minutes ago, Nutter said:

No link but you have to get it under commercial price. Dude here has car clubs under commercial pricing. He did get me a receipt with part number. I'll figure out how to take a pic and post it.

That would be helpful. I have heard of new pumps out there but more in the $3000 + range with no core. I am not used to putting up a core charge on a new anything. I looked on AZ's website and they had a few listed, some identified as remans and 2 that were not identified as reman or new.

2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

We need to know WHAT lift pump you have. Dont matter if its new i gaurantee its a pos if your fuel pressure is 14 psi at idle unless you have a mechanical pump? Did your last LP take adump just before the VP failure? My Fass 150 puts out 21 psi at idlr and i never seee below 16 wot. 

Stock,old one is fine ....eliminated issue

Edited by BIGMIKE