• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

IM THINKING VP 44

Duralast DL 2617 this is the regular price, dude said commercial was $500 cheaper, with three year warranty. He was trying to sell me after I bought from diesel power products used and cheaper with 2 year warranty.

IMG_20190109_070903764.jpg

• Owner

Everyone better look at my article about Certified Bosch Rebuilders. If the VP44 is serviced by a non-Bosch service center you take the risk of getting a remanufactured pump with old PSG unit, not bench tested and pay an outrageous price for poorly serviced VP44. This is why I created this article because there are hundreds of "VP44 rebuilders" out there but don't even have the Bosch 815 test stand to test or calibrate the PSG on the VP44. Some big names even sell USED PSG VP44's at a marked up price. 

Hint... 

DAP sells both Midwest Injection and Industrial Injection pumps.

Vulcan Performance sells Induestrial injection pumps. 

If they are not listed they do not have the Bosch 815 test stand. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Nutter said:

Duralast DL 2617 this is the regular price, dude said commercial was $500 cheaper, with three year warranty. He was trying to sell me after I bought from diesel power products used and cheaper with 2 year warranty.

IMG_20190109_070903764.jpg

Thats one of the 2 that does not mention new or reman. The core makes me believe it is a reman. Warrany is good but pricey. Wonder who does rebuild???

He had others that were reman but for my (mis-spoke earlier and said used) reman from Industrial Injection i was out $1,080 after core return of $400. But this one he said was new. He said his new is only ever Bosch or Duralast (AZ brand). Unsure how true.

That DAP is $100 cheaper than my Industrial Injection from DieselPowerProducts.com but mine had a 2 year warranty. I guess we know what a year of warranty is worth.

1 hour ago, Nutter said:

He had others that were reman but for my (mis-spoke earlier and said used) reman from Industrial Injection i was out $1,080 after core return of $400. But this one he said was new. He said his new is only ever Bosch or Duralast (AZ brand). Unsure how true.

That DAP is $100 cheaper than my Industrial Injection from DieselPowerProducts.com but mine had a 2 year warranty. I guess we know what a year of warranty is worth.

DAP has them with a 2 year warranty also for about 100 bucks more. Tapping will void the warranty. He also has one for about 1500 bucks that you can tap with out voiding the warraty. His are from Industrial and Midwest injection IIRC. I dont know who AZ gets there from.

Well at least you figured out your problem.  Your $70 stock Carter lift pump has killed your $1500 Vp44.  But by the time you replace both pumps you'll be over $2k total+labor...unless you buy another Carter.  But you'd just be getting back in line for another pump failure. 

I would recommend the fuel boss too since I have had no problems and fuel pressure is rock solid.  Best of luck to you! 

Guest 04Mach1
14 hours ago, dripley said:

That would be helpful. I have heard of new pumps out there but more in the $3000 + range with no core. I am not used to putting up a core charge on a new anything. I looked on AZ's website and they had a few listed, some identified as remans and 2 that were not identified as reman or new.

You are right on the money for the cost of a brand spanking new VP44. I installed one back around September of last year on a customer's truck. Shops cost was around $2400 but I'm not sure how much it would have cost the average Joe off the street. I'm also not sure if it was a NOS or recent manufacture since I couldn't find a DOB on it. The brand new Bosch VP44 was sourced through Central Motive Power in Albuquerque. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&ei=48g2XMHZMozHjgSr6prQCA&q=central+motive+power+albuquerque&oq=central+motive+powerv&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.1.35i304i39j0i13j0i13i30l2.12198.12198..14623...0.0..0.93.93.1......0....1.........0i71.vRQFBZaQpv4

If there is such a thing as brand new vp44, it better be made recently with all the upgrades. I would not want to buy such an expensive with all the original problems they had. Between Industrial Injection and Midwest injection, if a guy can get 250-300k out of a rebuilt one for right around $1000 I personally don't see any reasons to go other routes.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

If there is such a thing as brand new vp44, it better be made recently with all the upgrades. I would not want to buy such an expensive with all the original problems they had. Between Industrial Injection and Midwest injection, if a guy can get 250-300k out of a rebuilt one for right around $1000 I personally don't see any reasons to go other routes.

I am with you on this one. I went onto Bosche's. Web site and never could find them offering a new pump , did not spend a lot of time though. Figured they would be pricier than I wanted to see even if they had one. I have 242k on my reman right now and still seems to be going strong. Though I have read here  from some folks with crazy high numbers on their oe VPs though. Mine only went 75k. My oe lift pump out lasted it by 75k more.  But I dont have a clue as to what pressure it was putting out. The only time I checked was when I put the Banks system on at 100k. It was putting out a massive 10 psi at idle. That was all the instructions said I needed. I was happy and  drove it till she let go 150k. The replacement VP survived it and lasted another 65k.

• Like 1

• Owner
25 minutes ago, dripley said:

It was putting out a massive 10 psi at idle. That was all the instructions said I needed. I was happy and  drove it till she let go 150k. The replacement VP survived it and lasted another 65k.

Just proves that the unofficial standard of 14-20 PSI works much better than the willy nilly 10 PSI crap of the past.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dripley said:

Though I have read here  from some folks with crazy high numbers on their oe VPs though.

I'm thinking it may be something similar to a 53 block, some original vps were better then others. But still if industrial injection is all upgraded and new electronics, then there is no 50/50 chance, you know it will last. Who cares if body is reused, no different then injectors. 

• Like 1