• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cummins vs Powerstroke Diesels

3 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Someone told my old boss the same thing about cell phones causing cancer. Whats this world coming to anyway? The answer is "The End"..... But the good news is theyres a better place to be up in heaven. I love the looks of second generation trucks but yea the truck part wasnt built heavy duty enough for the weight and torque of the mighty Cummins Turbo Diesel. 

Well your in luck, my dad is a doctor and ten years ago was talking about how in the medical field they were talking about cell phones and cancer and how it was hush hush because the government, anyways I use a Bluetooth, and keep my phone away from my head on extended calls, even if it's on my hip. 

Irony has it that now they are talking about this, after the corporation's have made their money.

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Is your wife on the cell phone lot and this the tumor on the same side as where she holds cell phone. 

This is another crazy subject, but my wife's sister also has a tumor and it's on the same side as where her phone stuck to the brain 24/7, almost every time I see her she's on the phone. Tried telling them that it's probably related as there are studies have shown that, but as usual I turn out to be an idiot because I'm not a doctor. The least they can do is a little research. 

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's only going to get worse as technology emerges and humans losing touch with the planet.

And yeah Cummins is why I got my truck, dodge has nothing to do with it. 

Yep buying a Dodge because of the body or trans would be like buying a candy bar because of fancy wrapper.  

Unfortunately I've learned more about brain tumors than I ever wanted to know.  Dr's dont know why for sure brain tumors grow.  They do know there are over 120 different types.  And most can be fixed thru elec pin point gamma Ray's or radiation.    But some grow so fast the person is dead before fully diagnosed. Wifes tumor is on brain stem that is creating pressure on various parts on her thru 6th cranial nerve.  Size of tumor creating the problems is about size of my little finger nail,  Dr's can't biopsy using any instrument on brain stem.   "Blood biopsy" shows no tumor  cells in blood stream so cant treat.  One of the few places on human body they  cant operate on.  But sure is interesting at nero doc"s office.  Some people with "normal" tumors and 1/2 of brain lobe removed, thru surgery, couple months later back you would never suspect they had anything wrong, especially little kids. 

We were going to buy a new truck. But newer models (2wheel drive) are higher off the ground making it even harder for her to get in. As an experiment I removed passenger seat to get her wheelchair in.  Cut a piece of plywood to fit because ribs in floor board couldn't turn her around.  Her vision or field of view looking out window is almost the same as sitting in regular seat without wheelchair.    But buy the time I get out my wooden ramp from ground to door sill and then get her situated facing forward. Super big hassle.  Not to mention I still have to make or get seatbelts extensions from rear seat to wheel chair.  We already have approved wheel chair seat belt system. 

The phone is most dangerous when the reception is poor because it's trying extra hard to communicate. This is not a joke and yet most think it is. Sad that people get affected by things and still refuse to look into it. Take some pills and move on, when pills are only a masking device not a cure. Eliminate the source of the problem and no band-aid needed. Problem is, we're hooked on most of the things that are not good for us. We can change but choose not to, humans are wired like that, and these bastards that make bezilons on other people tragedies are fortunate that most don't think for themselves. Going back to my corner now.

• Like 1

I had a 95 Powerstroke 3/4 ton straight cab 5 speed that I liked. Had a Banks stage 2 in it and it wasn't bad. I also had a 4" exhaust that was done piece by piece as there really were not any kits then. My friend who did all of the work on the truck tig welded the entire exhaust system because he wasn't that good at mig. lol

Truck ate glow plug relays like candy and had cam position sensor issues. The truck just ate both of them. Oil was changed dead nuts 3000 miles. Not because of breakdown but aeration, bubbles. Messed with the injection. I even used an International anti-aeration oil additive. 

2001-2002 I learned that 6 in a row was the way to go and got my 2001.5. Grid heater is a huge improvement over glow plugs. The ease of working on the truck was a huge improvement. 

And I have been a fan ever since. That being said the pre CR diesel days were very fun because hp was fought and scratched for. I remember seeing 400 hp before at a dyno event and I was like oh....my....god.  I was awesome. 

CR's came along and all of that went out the window. 

My neighbor and his brother in law have 6.7 Fords. Very nice trucks and I wouldn't mind owning one. Lots of power, ride well and the built in exhaust brake.

But......as soon as you pop the hood.....good God.  I was trying to figure out how to change the fuel filter.....yeah. 

One thing I do miss about the Powerstoke is that sloppy ZF5. You could throw the shifter in the general direction and it went in. 

Edited by Ben
  • Like 1

• Staff
11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

The phone is most dangerous when the reception is poor because it's trying extra hard to communicate. This is not a joke and yet most think it is. Sad that people get affected by things and still refuse to look into it. Take some pills and move on, when pills are only a masking device not a cure. Eliminate the source of the problem and no band-aid needed. Problem is, we're hooked on most of the things that are not good for us. We can change but choose not to, humans are wired like that, and these bastards that make bezilons on other people tragedies are fortunate that most don't think for themselves. Going back to my corner now.

Those new electronic smart meters used by the power companies release enough electromagnetism to cause problems too. A newly built public school had all their meters located on one wall near a classroom caused one teacher to die within a couple years from tumors and the new teacher got sick along with the ones in the two adjacent classrooms. The amount of electromagnetism from radios and cell towers is causing bees to get confused about their food locations and the right time of year to venture out.

Do a search on bee populations and electromagnetism.... you will be amazed on the studies and findings.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

I'm in total agreement with you. It makes me feel better just collecting large old wagon wheels. Love the looks of the old west.

If I got a new electric truck I'd have to have a recording of the Cummins for the in cab sound.. Might let me at least try driving the thing.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, Marcus2000monster said:

Id like to hear everyones views on why they chose what they did and why they like one or the other better

My decision was influenced by the Big Three in 1987.  Ford and GM thought it was a good idea to put naturally aspirated V8 diesel engines in front of three and four speed transmissions in their pickup trucks in the early 80's.  Let's see - crazily run up the engine rpm's to handle the few gears, pour out back smoke (especially at higher altitudes), and enjoy all the noise without getting the power or fuel economy of a diesel.  I give credit to Dodge for not joining the foolishness.

I really wanted a diesel engine because I knew what they were capable of.  I was frustrated that there was not an in-line four or six cylinder turbocharged diesel engine available in a pickup by 1987 - it's not like it was rocket science.

So, in 1987, when I found out that Cummins was offering a 50 state emission certified turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel engine (4BTA3.9) that was already made to fit in any Dodge, Ford, or GM pickup with a small block engine configuration,  I ordered one.

I ran that engine in two different 1/2 ton vehicles totaling just under 300,000 trouble free miles.  At the time there was nothing like driving up Vail Pass in Colorado at 65 mph in overdrive with no smoke.  If anyone would have known that they were just passed by a 3.9 liter four cylinder diesel engine, they would have just shook their head. 

When the time came, it was a no-brainer to buy my 2002 Dodge Cummins which I will continue to drive for years to come.

- John

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Cummins engine is a medium duty and others are considered a light duty. I bought the engine not the truck. Cummins has much more touque than others as well. The Ford has more creature comfort, but I had to go Cummins. I have used the international 7.3 and it had problems with cavation on #8 cylinder. 

Edited by Mad Bomber
Add a addition