• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Return Tee Bracket Question

This is my first post but I've been a long time lurker and have found tons of information here, so thanks y'all!

I'm currently chasing a fuel leak in my 2001 that has eluded me at every opportunity.  

The leak is on the rear of the engine and only occurs after being driven some distance.  Around town it doesn't leak, but every morning after my 17 mile commute to work it leaves a softball to dinner plate size puddle under the truck.  

I have replaced the washers on the return banjo on the back of the head and the seals in the fuel return tee.  Upon doing this I noticed that the return tee is just hanging there, the mounting tab isn't bolted to anything.  I can't see enough to tell what it should bolt to.  The factory lift pump is no longer there if that matters.  It was removed when the frame mounted lift pump was installed.  Anyone know what that tab bolts to?

Thanks!

I can see what appears to be a hex shaped standoff with a threaded hole that may be where it mounts but the bolt is missing.  I cann buy a bolt if I knew what size it was.  I just reinstalled the short line from the tee to the head.  Pulled it to check for pinholes.  No luck there.

Dripley

Yesterday I purple powered the the top of the intake and all the injector lines.  There was fuel present along the entire top of the intake, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from.  Now that it's dry and clean I'm going to check it every time I drive it to see if the leak appears.

What's strange is I haven't fooled with any of the fittings in a long time.  I had the injector lines off twice in the past but it's been years.  

The nuts that hold the fuel lines to the head do not seal anything. They just apply pressure to the fuel lines and connector tubes. That is where the seal occurs. The oring on the connector tubes provides a seal for the return fuel galleys in the head. If one starts leaking the nut wiil not stop the leak. The threads for the nut are not tapered and will let fuel by if either seal fails.

Dripley will do on the connector tube o-rings.  I am not the original owner.  Purchased it in 2011 with 165k on it.

When you talk about the injectors are you saying to replace them also or just the seals?

I recently had Blackstone labs do an oil analysis on it because I thought I was making oil.  I was about a quart high after a change.  The report came back showing no fuel in the oil so it had to have been my mistake filling it up.

Thanks

Just did that one myself. 

If you are so sure the connector tubes have never been done then I am thinking neither have the injectors. If I get far enough in to change those orings I am not that far away from doing an injector swap. 

Got any idea how many miles are on the injectors?

That does bring up the question for me as what injectors to go with.  I know I would like to do the quadzilla tuner in the near future.  I'm not sure if my signature is showing up but the truck has:

BHAF

MBRP 4" all the way back

Raptor 150

Vulcan Big Line Kit

Edge EZ

ISSPRO Mechanical Fuel pressure

ISSPRO EGT

ISSPRO Boost

Revmax full billet trans

2015 17" wheels 

285/75-17 All Terrains