• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Monday Morning

Bet my morning is worse than yours! Started up the truck to go to the gas station for a drink. Coasted out to the main road, pressed the skinny pedal, blue smoke, no power. Turned around, went back home, checked for codes. The code that we do not want  shows up. 0216.

Guess can't complain, 190k miles on this pump. If I am going to have to prime the fuel system after install, then it is a good time to replace the injectors! Time to look at all the info for a pump replacement and injector installation!

• Sad 1

• Owner

Finally wore the timing piston out and no longer can set timing properly. Now after it warms up can you reset the code? I'm wondering if the piston is galling up or deformed the cylinder when cold it binding up but after the pump has some heat does it straighten out? You might be able to buy some time do a double shot of 2 cycle oil and see what happens. 

That sucks, but it's also a good thing it did it close by and not on the trip somewhere. I've been waiting for mine since I bought the truck :lmao: probably had the lines out the dozen times by now for random stuff, all was left was are bolts and a plug. Few times it crossed my mind to change it just because.

• Like 1

P-pumping is not for the faint of heart...Gather lots of cash...

If you are thinking about it, start gathering parts now, while you still have time.  I went with a kit from Crazy Carl, with 0.84 lines, I think.  The truck runs sluggish, however, I have NOT turned up the pump yet, waiting for about 1000-1500 mile before doing this, when I do this, I void the warranty that is one the pump after being rebuilt.  I have a small list of parts for the swap...

190k is pretty good!  Couldn't think of a better time to do the injectors...while the lines are out.  It's pretty easy to change the injectors.  Just make sure you account for all the copper washers and the rest is straight forward.  Changing the VP looks straight forward as well but haven't had to do it yet.  Let me know how it goes for a first timer since I'll be one too. 

• Owner

I'm learning that even OEM stock injectors only last for about 100k miles. I have 150k miles on my stock injectors when they where pop tested they were well below 260 bar which the lower limit is 293 bar for injector pop pressure. Stock should be 310 bar for VP44. I'm not sure about P-pump pop pressure and then what is going to produce optimal atomization.  I think it would be best to start with 310 bar at least but you might have to add timing to the pump to make up for it. 

I had almost 240k on my oe injectors when I swapped them. The truck still ran good, mileage never dropped off and I just did not know any better back then. The set I have in now are my third set and you tell they are falling off. I am putting another set in with the HG replacement.

10 hours ago, Bullet said:

190k is pretty good!  Couldn't think of a better time to do the injectors...while the lines are out.  It's pretty easy to change the injectors.  Just make sure you account for all the copper washers and the rest is straight forward.  Changing the VP looks straight forward as well but haven't had to do it yet.  Let me know how it goes for a first timer since I'll be one too. 

I used the articles here and on Blue chip diesels site when I first did mine. I was a bit apprehensive myself, but it is pretty much a bolt off bolt on part. My son and I did it in 4.5 hours. My son is no mechanic but the extra pair of hands and company was nice. I have had it out twice since and just did it myself. Making sure the woodruff key is set right in the shaft was the part that worried me the most but it all turned out fine. I read the articles several times and had them there with us.

• Staff

Dripley said it right when it was time for me to learn how. Man was I a big chicken, but when Dripley said, ''be slow and deliberate'' that caused a flip of the switch and I got after it and went very well.

MoparMan was good enough to always pick up the phone every step of the way so I sent him a deserving amount of compensation for helping. The guy has a memory like you and I take pictures.

I am bummed! Injectors came in Wednesday. The pump is not coming in untill Monday. Ordered every thing at the same time. 

The injectors are in! Just took my time. No problems. Other than the #6 injector is a treat! 

Injector pump is out. Got super lucky! The keyway was at about 5*. Never rotated the engine. 

Hurry up Monday!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gassernomore said:

I am bummed! Injectors came in Wednesday. The pump is not coming in untill Monday. Ordered every thing at the same time. 

The injectors are in! Just took my time. No problems. Other than the #6 injector is a treat! 

Injector pump is out. Got super lucky! The keyway was at about 5*. Never rotated the engine. 

Hurry up Monday!

Nice...you're half way there.  Hopefully 2nd half is just as smooth. 

32 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

If you haven’t done it already, now is a good time to replace tappet cover gasket. I love to spend other people’s money!

What mileage can you expect a tappet cover gasket?  I'm over 200k and my Cummins abnormally doesn't leak a drop from anywhere. 

23 minutes ago, dripley said:

For my money I would replace whenever the VP is off, with in reason any way. The gasket is not expensive.

I will definitely do that when my VP fails.  I hope the VP goes before the tappet cover gasket but not by much and not anytime soon.

22 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm learning that even OEM stock injectors only last for about 100k miles. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 290k on my RV's with no issues in sight. Smooth cold start with no blue smoke and no blue smoke on a long down grade..this is my "bar" test:)

• Like 3

• Staff
4 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 290k on my RV's with no issues in sight. Smooth cold start with no blue smoke and no blue smoke on a long down grade..this is my "bar" test:)

Who did you get them from if you can remember :lol: