• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Clutch

So Im looking for a new clutch I like working with DAP, so I emailed them this: 

Also need to figure out which clutch I need to get.

When I bought the truck I was “told” it had a dragon flow vp44, 6x18’s, .093 lines and tubes, ham cam, springs, and 64/71/14 turbo and all the supporting mods and more. I did verify I have a valair competition dual disk (sintered iron) for pulling, I have taken all the electronics off of it and the only thing I havent verified is if the vp is infact a dragon flow… It does still have a ton of power so it might have it. I don’t plan on racing or pulling with this truck just a occasional driver or weekend truck and pulling a gooseneck with a skidsteer. I would guess the clutch would have to hold at least 600hp idk… and dual disk for towing. What do you think?

What do you guys think? He put this on the quote:

Valair Dual Disc Performance Replacement Clutch (Ceramic) 650HP NMU70NV45DDSN | 1989-2003 Dodge 5.9L Cummins With NV4500 or Getrag 5SPD

SKU: VAL-NMU70NV45DDSN

And yes I know it says for a nv4500... I need one for a nv5600... however...

I really dont have a good estimate of what I might be close to on power. I dont want to get a new one and slip it cause I have to many ponies...:lmao:

Stanley-

FWIW-

I am no expert on clutches, but I learned a lot from a 06.12.17 post by Mopar1973Man "Ceramic Clutches" that will offer some good answers to your question.  Follow the thread......

Also, how does everyone get someone's "handle" highlighted like that, when they are referencing or quoting someone on here?  

thanks

That's a good amount of fuel...  About 700 hp worth.  But, that turbo is going to hold you to around 590.  But you're going to be stuck with a dual disk.

I have a South Bend dual disk for about three years now.  I like it, and it holds everything I throw at it.  I don't have experience with Valair, but I've heard they feel softer and are quieter than the South Bend.

Which brings up the noise factor.  My South Bend is LOUD when the clutch is disengaged.  People know I'm arriving based on the clutch noise, not the engine.  But it doesn't bother me too much.

Really, either one should do just fine in your application.  

Im not really sold on brand really. I have had one of each in a dual disk. So open to options there. noise doesnt bother me im used to the chatter lol... 

I am assuming the turbo is a super bee special 64/71/14, I have wrapped a 60psi gauge with it all set to kill. However I havent actually measured it but to the best of my knowledge I thought thats what the guy said... but we all know what assuming does....:duh:

I guess it really sucks I dont have correct knowledge of what i have to be asking these questions. But for how the truck acts and drives Im going with that. 

Im about to order this clutch and I want to be sure I get one that will hold and be reliable...

40 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

While I don’t really have any experience I believe there are some here that recommend staying away from ceramic. 

Yes, I read the forum mentioned above and I think that wiould be a good bet and a safe one. 

11 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Is there a way to know what Clutch you have without pulling out transmission

I have had the trans pulled for awhile now, I know what clutch I had in it. I am just looking for advise on what clutch to go with the mods listed above. 

Sorry just re read your statement @Dieselfuture Unfortunately you cant tell which one you have with out pulling it then checking online or asking one of the manufactures via PN# if available. 

• Thanks 1

I had the valair dual ceramic ceramic in my built little truck for nv4500

it was an absolute peach to drive. Shifting was great.  

Eta: I had dragonfire , stock lines , 6x13s, and large twins. 

Edited by Ben

Agreed. Clutches are all about personal preference. I’ll probably go with south bend again because I like how firmly my clutch engages, and how it gets more drivable when towing. 

So so if you like the valair, go with them again. 

Edited by trreed

Well, like I mentioned brand doesnt matter really. I just havent been "schooled" on which facings/buttons to get or plate loads. And I feel stupid not knowing what "rated" clutch I should get for the current mods I have. All I know atm is I need a dual disk and AT LEAST a rating of approx. 600hp. Sorry for my lack of knowledge of this subject, just need to get this nailed down so I can order it today or monday. 

So if anyone could break it down for me barney style facings, plate load etc that would help me out. Thanks 

So aside from the neg ceramics comments from earlier, I will prolly have to get a ceramic clutch then... or just ceramic buttons? 

For plate load I think the last one I un-educatedly ordered years ago, I got a 3800.....

I my understanding ceramic is designed more towards performance, so in your case with higher hp you may be stock with ceramic, it will still last a while just not as long as your organic and other brands. But that's the price you have to pay for performance. If you don't put a lot of miles on towing and just commuting in general, then ceramic will do just fine. If you dd it a lot then I'm guessing it will wear out much faster. I still don't know what I have invested my truck, po said it was an aftermarket clutch but wasn't sure what exactly as his buddy sold it to him and helped to install. All I know is it's really grabby with very little friction to it, I'm guessing it's ceramic. Some day I'll find out I'm sure :doh: and be thinking on what to use myself. My truck will scoot if I get on it, so it has to be close to 500hp clutch that I have now. I'll be sure to start a thread on it when time comes, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a dual disc because of all the rattle that comes from transmission when it's hot idling in netral. Push in clutch the noise goes away, let go it sounds horrible. Looked inside through shifter, everything looked new. I even spoke with a good transmission guy here and right of way he said it's the clutch that causes the noise, don't worry about transition and add extra fluid. 

5 minutes ago, trreed said:

@Dieselfuture that sounds like a worn out throwout bearing.  Mine is also worn out.

Dual disks are quiet until you push the clutch in, and then the floater plate can rattle around on the dowel pins

Well that sucks, I was hoping I didn't have to pull it out any time soon. So is that bearing spinning all the time then when you're going down the road :think: or does it move back far enough away from pressure plate. I can't really feel anything in clutch pedal when I apply it. I was always concerned about pilot bearing too. I guess I'll have to find out sooner then later huh.