• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear brake pieces

IBMOBILE beat me to it :)

I should change my terminology. It's not a load leveling valve but a load sensing valve. The more squatted the rear end is the more brake fluid gets proportioned to the rear brakes. If this is what you mean I've read that many like to disconnect it. IIRC @KATOOM was in on those discussions.

Edited by dave110

It even takes quite a load on truck to get it to activate to get full fluid flow to the rear brake cylinders, I just disconnected the rod and keep the lever in the 12:00 position. I done this a few years back and havnt had to mess with it and like the way my rear brakes apply under just normal driving. 

You could do the bypass kit, its a cleaner look but results are the same, I would suggest disconnecting the rod first and see if you like the results before doing the bypass kit. I have read where people have done this and experienced rear brake lock up but I havnt had that issue in normal braking but only in a hard panic brake situation and then it was nice to know they were fully applied 

The lever on the valve should be positioned at 12;00 (sticking straight up) to have max fluid flow. If I remembet right with the rod attached on both ends it sets at about the 3;00 position (level) as the weight from load pushes frame closer to axle it forces the rod and lever upward. thus opening valve up.

I can take a better look at mine, but I left the rod connected to the lever and disconnected it from the axle mount then tied rod off with zip ties with the lever in the upward position, I just don’t remember how I tied it, I have been meaning to install the bypass kit but it’s one of those out of sight out of mind things lol 

• Like 2