• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My first diesel

Hi, I bought a 2002 h.o. 6 speed qclb back in October. It is a rust free Arizona truck. It has a few dents and faded paint but I plan on fixing that in the near future. It is totally stock minus the 4" exhaust and s&b. It has 99,600 miles on it. It also has a raptor dfrp that it came with. My plans for this truck are to basically make it as reliable as possible while waking it up a bit. Realistically i'd like to be making around 300-350 this summer to at least be able to keep up with my buddy's stock '05 6 speed. Right now it's in storage for the winter ( I daily a rusty '96 ram 1500 ) so I've just been buying parts. Fass 95 titanium, isspro ev2's and quad adrenaline are all here ready to be installed. I will probably end up doing a clutch this summer and possibly upgraded injectors also. Anyway I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way and I look forward to learning about my truck.

Edited by Ralph_5.9

• Owner
12 minutes ago, dripley said:

Welcome. You have come to the right place. I ahve been here 8+ years and still have not soaked up all knowledge here. It is almost bottomless pit.

Some jack :moon: like me is continuing to dig the bottom of the pit deeper. 

Like myself, I've never owned a diesel before 2002. I've never been to any school or even ASE certified. Totally self-taught diesel tech. Now I continue to learn from everyone around me and then learn from my own adventures and failures. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Owner
4 minutes ago, trreed said:

Why would the S&B be passing dust?  They do make dry filters too...

Because of being overwashed. Washed wrong. Not taken care of. So far I've seen a dusted engine on every version of the washable filter. 

• Afe
  • S&B
  • K&N
  • etc...

They all sacrifice filtration for performance. They ALL pass more dust than the BHAF but flow better than BHAF. Seen way more engine dusted out with washable filters than BHAF. Still not found one yet. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1343620163_SB.JPG.07e45b5555f3042736ff334dae13f0a0.JPG

There are dry filters offered...  We don't know what version Ralph has, so I don't think it's fair to assume its a washable one and that it might be passing dust.

I've had great luck with the S&B dry filters.  Currently running one with the compounds.

Edited by trreed

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would check the turbo. If that S&B filter is passing dust the turbo will be dirty. I would suggest changing to BHAF.

I know the BHAF is the recommended filter around here, but unfortunately I didn't know at the time I bought the s&b. It has less than 500 miles on it so I will be sticking with it for now. 

I'm an eyelet toolmaker by trade and do all my own wrenching so the mechanical work doesn't worry me (not that i'm an expert mechanic). Finding the right combination for what I want will be the more difficult part.

Here's the truck

IMG_0432.JPG

• Like 3

• Owner

Yeah I know. I tend to err on the side of safety. Being out here most all road are dirt beyond the highway so in all the years of working on diesel trucks I've found several where the dust has deform the filter, filters been washed so much the media had holes I mean holes in it, then the face of the compressor is dirty. I rather give the warning and catch a potential problem before it happens than "assume" its OK because every using it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

I know the BHAF is the recommended filter around here, but unfortunately I didn't know at the time I bought the s&b. It has less than 500 miles on it so I will be sticking with it for now. 

I'm an eyelet toolmaker by trade and do all my own wrenching so the mechanical work doesn't worry me (not that i'm an expert mechanic). Finding the right combination for what I want will be the more difficult part.

Here's the truck

IMG_0432.JPG

Is your S&B wet or dry?

I ran an AFE intake with a dry washable filter for 6 months.  At the 6 month mark I pulled the tube to check and had a very noticeable layer of dust inside it.  That was when I noticed my turbo was shot, Mike even made the comment on my pic that it looked as though the filter had failed and was letting dust in and I don't think he knew I was running that intake as I hadn't told anyone.  As soon as I got my new turbo, I put the BHAF back on. 

Edited by Sycostang67

On 1/17/2019 at 9:49 AM, trreed said:

I would.  It'll be a $45 filter.  Can be found on ebay. 

My BHAF the #6637 was $40 when i bought it, also works great. Its not worth trashing a turbo.

I now run a 2790 after that filter got really dirty.

The exception to this is if that dry filter doesn't pass crap thought the filter, then i would stick with that.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Some jack :moon: like me is continuing to dig the bottom of the pit deeper. 

Like myself, I've never owned a diesel before 2002. I've never been to any school or even ASE certified. Totally self-taught diesel tech. Now I continue to learn from everyone around me and then learn from my own adventures and failures. 

This is a perfect description of me and my experience as well...even the 2002 part!  But the jack*** part may be a little light...I've heard much worse from the other gender. ?

These guys know their stuff so you have come to the right place! 

Edited by Bullet

On 1/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, pepsi71ocean said:

My BHAF the #6637 was $40 when i bought it, also works great. Its not worth trashing a turbo.

I now run a 2790 after that filter got really dirty.

The exception to this is if that dry filter doesn't pass crap thought the filter, then i would stick with that.

Does ether one of them filters have inside steel mash so it doesn't get sucked in turbo

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Does ether one of them filters have inside steel mash so it doesn't get sucked in turbo

Nope, but I've yet to see either of them exhibit signs of a restriction, they flow some serious air. I replaced the 6637 because it was "dirty" not because it was sucked in. Ironically If I had a outer sock like mike has I bet it would srtill be in service today.

I may have to retire my 2790 actually for another 6637 because I have less room now since I added my pacbrake onto my truck, the location of the solenoid and the the dryer/pressure switch etc may cause room issues.

• Like 1