• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A/C blower conversion

So I searched a whole lot, maybe I have just been unlucky, but I have not found a better blower option for 2nd Gen A/C blowers. My brothers 4th Gen pushes much more air. I am not looking for colder air. I just replaced my entire A/C system. I want more air. I dont care that the system was designed for the stock blower. Has anyone put a 4th Gen blower in a 2nd Gen? Or is there a better blower? Maybe wire the stock pig to 24v?

Thanks. I tested it with my Power Probe, force feeding it, and almost have identical rpm. It is about the same as a few other second gens I have been in. I think it works correctly, I just want more wind than I think its capable of. To the point that I usually have a cowboy fan hanging on my passenger visor. I know people have been complaining of the same problem on Mega cabs. If I get something that pushes more air I will have to use the "Big Bore Kit" in its name! I have only found Chevy conversions for the 1st Gens. I will probably just make do, or keep the windows down. Thanks again.

Edited by Celtic Clamper

Ram air hood scoop for AC! I like it! 

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would look at a way to increase the blower RPM.

Maybe make the fins on the blower a tad larger? 

What's your resistance at the plug before it goes to motor? If any? 

Stanley, do you mean voltage at the plug or maybe ohm out the motor? Mike, thats what I am looking into first. Easiest is to increase rpm, then look at different blowers, or give up and buy a 4th gen. I wanted to wait another year or 2 for the 4th Gen. I will continue on the 2nd Gen because I do not intend to ever sell it. 

Mike, glad to hear you are doing better.

• Owner
6 hours ago, Stanley said:

Maybe make the fins on the blower a tad larger?

RPM loss will occur. You have not increased the HP of the motor to blow more air so, a bigger blower is just going to run slower. 

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

What's your resistance at the plug before it goes to motor? If any?

Ohm something out has to be disconnected. Ohming the windings isn't going to do much.

5 hours ago, Celtic Clamper said:

Stanley, do you mean voltage at the plug or maybe ohm out the motor

I would be looking at the voltage at the blower. 

Just some simple theory and math... You can draw the same 20 amp but at different voltages and the workforce will change. This why I'm looking for power issues first before modifying the blower cage. If the motor is underfed and the blower cage is increased the flow will decrease too because of the lack of power to twist a heavier blower cage. 

watts (work force) = volts x amps 

240 watts = 12 volts x 20 amps

280 watts = 14 volts x 20 amps

So if the voltage is lower than battery voltage on high this means there is voltage drop between the supply and the motor. You would have to insure that the blower motor was capable of getting the same voltage on HI fan as the battery is running. 

• Like 1

I think I was a little hasty in that reply and didn't think what I was typing haha :doh:

Yea - the voltage was what I was trying to get at. Voltage at the plug before entering the motor, IE is there a "resistor" inline before hand lending you 10v? 8v? etc. 

With ohms, I usually just check it to see what resistance I have if any. Check for possible shorts etc. Always check your wiring (condition, routing, grounds, corrosion, etc) it can help either narrow down your issue or help you navigate possible causes and solutions. 

Is the blower capable of more voltage with out burning down? 

It may just be simple as splitting the blower from the motor and adding a gear box in between? With in this same statement if the motor just isn't cutting it then this fabrication would also allow you to install/change out a different D/C motor 

I am pretty competent in electrical. I have not checked voltage at the plug. Because I checked rpm while powered through the switch and while being fed from my Powerprobe, and they were almost identical, I can assume that my wiring is all in relatively good condition. 

The squirrel cage could possibly be changed. If the motor was engineered a little oversized for warranty/service duty reasons, then there is potential power available for a slightly larger blower. If it is already maxed out, then in fact the extra power required to turn the larger squirrel cage will cause less air flow and burn up the motor. If the spec's check out, maybe it needs 24v to make it a hurricane.

That said, I am looking into motor spec's and options. Once I finish spec'ing the stock blower, I will find a suitable more powerful blower assy, or faster motor with same other spec's. This will fix my flow problems. 

The main problem lies in that based on my expirience with air flows, I will need about 20%-30% increase to actually feel the air in the manner that I am expecting. 

Like I have stated, I am fairly confident that my stock system is working as engineered. I have cleaned the entire ducting, replaced most foam, and just finished going through the a/c system. 

I was just hoping someone had already done the leg work. Now I just need time off from work.