• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1948 Dodge COE Build

dave110, to make it clear, the pictures are not my project (I only wish).  I tried to run down the owner (no pun intended), not sure how old the pictures are, I think old.  If you notice, the abbreviation for Pennsylvania is the old format as opposed to what we have used for the past 20 years or so, PA (I lose track of the years).  I made several phone calls to people in the area of Ardmore in hopes of connecting with the owner - no luck, but I use it as a benchmark for what I hope to have when my project is finished.  Thanks for looking.  Jim

Cab 2.JPG

Cab 3.JPG

Dolly Move 4.JPG

• Like 1

I see now. Mt uncle was a farm machinery dealer back around the time that truck would have been on the road. I thought perhaps it would have been a machinery hauler and would have been someone he would have known. Your project is really looking good. I wish I had the time and facilities to tackle a project like that. Thanks for the updates. I enjoy following this thread.

• 2 months later...

Timd32.  Thanks for your research of the Haden 48 Dodge COE owners; great job, you should be a detective.  I contacted the Hayden company a couple of days ago; the person I needed to speak with was not available, we'll talk next week.  Thanks again.

Part 10: Again it has been awhile since I posted, life gets complicated; I hope you haven't lost interest.  I'm going to present what to-date has been one of the most difficult of the modifications I've had to  address-steering.  As might be obvious to some, the MH chassis had the steering gear set out from the left frame rail by about 15 inches and just behind the front panel of the coach.  I removed the framework for the steering box and hydro-boost brake system and intended to mount the Saginaw box forward of the driver front wheel and on the outside of the frame rail.  This became a "big deal"; no matter what I tried I had significant wheel and draglink interference.  I tried several attempts to fabricate different brackets to accomplish an acceptable result - no luck; no matter what I came up with I ran into the driver wheel coming into contact with the steering box; and, the draglink was totally out of alignment with the pitman arm and the driver side wheel control arm.  I tried several of the Seattle/Tacoma "specialty" steering shops without resolution; I met some nice people but they were not into "fabrication"; if you gave them year, make, and model they could help you with an off the shelf item - no luck.  Then came the internet search; after many calls I made a find, Mark Mason at Straight-line Steering in San Jose, CA.  Mark took the time to listen to my problem, I sent pictures and in a few days he had a proposal, if I paid the freight he would send me an HFB52 series steering gear from an early 60's Ford (I think) to establish fitment.  It is a box that sits vertically and is integrated with a hydro-boost system which I was already planning to use in my brake system.  After determining it would fit I decided to take the leap and make the frame modifications to accommodate the HFB.  The HFB has a trunnion shaft that extends through the chassis rail and to which the pitman arm is attached.  Since cutting into the flanges of the chassis rail would weaken the chassis and given the forces that would be substantial given the location of the HFB I fabricated a modification to" stiffen" things up (I am lucky to have a young man who is an accomplished welder and a retired machinist from the local naval shipyard to assist me).  Finding a pitman arm with sufficient length to work with the hub steering geometry was the next challenge; again Mark came through with an 11 inch pitman arm with the required off-set, and the machinist turned out a drag-link - it all lined up.  I'm going to attempt importing pictures that give a little better understanding of the above.  Hope you found this interesting, Jim  For some reason I cannot insert pictures, I'll try to find out why.

• Like 1

No problem at all, glad to put a little leg work in, it was late and I ran across your post on another build, it was quite the story and project, I read the whole thing start to finish was intresting for sure, Inwas hooked.

I have a 48 willys pickup since HS, its on the maybe one day list. But as you say life gets complicated. Nothing bad in my case all good things, have a 21mo old, one on the way, do some volunteer stuff for some different folks.

Best of luck with your project. Will keep checking in for sure.

Thanks again.  You obviously have your priorities in the right order, well being of the family first.  I'm an older guy, kids are long on there own, if it wasn't for my "projects" I don't know what I'd do.

I think I'm a subscriber to the forum now so I'll try to post the pictures for "Part 10 "Steering".

Mockup 5.JPG

Mockup 7.JPG

Mockup 8.JPG

Precut 3.JPG

Precut 5.JPG

004.JPG

006 (2).JPG

007 (2).JPG

022.JPG

029 (2).JPG

034.JPG