Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Manimalmother said:

 

Gotcha.  I'll put that on my list.  By the way, I caught my pregnant wife on my security camera.  She stole my hoodie!

 

Screenshot_20190221-092757.png

 

Kind of like myself wearing the hoodie that came with my 7 x 0.010 injectors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

Kind of like myself wearing the hoodie that came with my 7 x 0.010 injectors.

I never got mine :kick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered a rebuild kit from DAP for the HX35.  It has a little too much shaft play for my liking.  Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these?  I also ordered a boost elbow and another hoodie lol.  The PO of this turbo cut the wastegate line and hoseclamped a bolt in it to effectively disable the wastegate.  I'm also going to bead blast the exterior of the housings as the PO had tried to paint them.  Anyone ever have any luck painting them or is bare metal best?  I'm going to do the machine work that DAP recommended while it is off.  Looks like the HY is going back on for a week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have rebuilt the turbo on my old 6.5 chevy diesel a while back.  Nothing about it was over complicated.  Just always be careful of the exposed inducer/exducer fins.  The rest you will find easy enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

I just ordered a rebuild kit from DAP for the HX35.  It has a little too much shaft play for my liking.  Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these?  I also ordered a boost elbow and another hoodie lol.  The PO of this turbo cut the wastegate line and hoseclamped a bolt in it to effectively disable the wastegate.  I'm also going to bead blast the exterior of the housings as the PO had tried to paint them.  Anyone ever have any luck painting them or is bare metal best?  I'm going to do the machine work that DAP recommended while it is off.  Looks like the HY is going back on for a week or so.

 

A bit of advice from experience.  Not me but someone I know well and many of you here would know if I gave the name.  I won't to protect the guilty.  Make sure the seals face the right direction or you will have a runaway when you fire it off.  Or at least do as my cuz who worked as Service manager at McCoy Feightliner PDX for some years.  He told me SOP for them whenever they do anything with a turbo like that or even changed to a new one it was 2 man job.  One doing the starting and another with a piece of plywood to slam over the turbo intake to stop the runaway if it happens.  Just FYI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Housing in the mill drilling the wastegate hole to 7/8".  How much should I take out of the divider?  Should I continue this hole straight through the divider?

IMG_20190319_172510.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not remember if I used a non divided gasket on devided manifold when I put my hybrid 35/40 in. Can someone remind me good vs bad in diferent gaskets vs manifolds/turbos combos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using an HY style non divided gasket.  I bored the wastegate hole to 7/8" all the way through the divider, then milled out about 1" of the divider.  Its all at my uncle's shop getting beadblasted today.  He is ceramic coating the exhaust housing and output and powder coating the compressor housing.  I told him to surprise me on color so it may be interesting.  Going to rebuild the center section today some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

I'm using an HY style non divided gasket.  I bored the wastegate hole to 7/8" all the way through the divider, then milled out about 1" of the divider.  Its all at my uncle's shop getting beadblasted today.  He is ceramic coating the exhaust housing and output and powder coating the compressor housing.  I told him to surprise me on color so it may be interesting.  Going to rebuild the center section today some time.

like to see more pictures as you go thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I got the housings back this evening.  The exhaust side is ceramic coated silver and the compressor housing is powder coated "titanium pearlcoat".  He then masked and did "holset" in gold.  We'll see how it holds up!

 

 

IMG_20190325_205831.jpg

IMG_20190325_205836.jpg

 

 

Mods to exhaust housing:

 

Wastegate hole drilled to 7/8" through divider and 1" milled out of flange side divider.

 

 

IMG_20190325_210549.jpg

IMG_20190325_210612.jpg

Edited by Manimalmother
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if I missed something here. We went from rebuilding to drilling and milling. I can do those things easy enough. What is the improvement in drilling the hole to 7/8 and milling the divider? Is this just a standard HX 35 or is it a hybrid or being used for twins or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Sorry if I missed something here. We went from rebuilding to drilling and milling. I can do those things easy enough. What is the improvement in drilling the hole to 7/8 and milling the divider? Is this just a standard HX 35 or is it a hybrid or being used for twins or something?

 

This is a standard HX35.  While apart for rebuild I am doing machine work per DAP's advice.  Opening the hole and milling the divider allows the flow to the wastegate from all 6 cylinders instead of just the front three.  Results in lower EGT's.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Manimalmother said:

Results in lower EGT's.

But that should only be affected on high PSI when wastegate is set to open? Am I thinking correctly. 

My wastegate isn't even hooked up it's always closed, I rely more on tuning and defuel settings as backup. I can see where milling divider may help in better spooling, unless it has nothing to do with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

But that should only be affected on high PSI when wastegate is set to open? Am I thinking correctly. 

My wastegate isn't even hooked up it's always closed, I rely more on tuning and defuel settings as backup. I can see where milling divider may help in better spooling, unless it has nothing to do with that.

 

I'm just doing what DAP said to since I have a mill.  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 3:07 PM, Dieselfuture said:

But that should only be affected on high PSI when wastegate is set to open?

Correct,  It will help top end power.  Low end spool up will be slightly inhibited as you will lose some of the pulsing of the twin volute.

 

Reducing back pressure is important.  1.2psi back pressure or lower  to 1.0psi Boost otherwise you are leaving HPon the table.

 

Running a waste gate or getting a larger turbine wheel or housing will reduce back pressure.  You add more exhaust gasses/ from fuel/ boost/ higher RPM and it gets constricted.

 

The stock hx35 is about 58mm exducer on the turbine (25.4mm = 1")   =2.3"  figure you have a 7mm shaft, + hub (lets say 2x 3mm=6mm)  and a number of blades on the shaft.  So with bad math we get to about 45mm with blades in the way.  So thats about 1.8" with blades.  Enter the wastegated housing... 17mm to 22mm are common sizes,  S300 turbos usually have 2 of them. 

 

So with the wrong size turbine/wastegate/ turbine housing its common to have over boost (less efficient), over speed of the compressor wheel (reduced life from centripetal forces on the wheel = deformation, oiling problems, less efficient, more wear),  and restriction to the flow of the exhaust).  Its about flow in and out of the engine (boost does help). Think of a water hose.  Low pressure... high flow.  Kink the hose and you get 40-60psi.... and no flow. :(   There is a sweet spot and a good place to start is 1.2back pressure to 1.0psi boost.

 

No one would recommend ditching a 3" or 4" exhaust and putting a 2" exhaust on just to overspeed the turbo, make it less efficient and wear out your turbo faster to create greater pumping losses in HP and a pressureized engine/box).  But that is what blosking off the wastegate can do for you if you do not know your boost /drive pressure ratio.

 

Who has measured their back pressure/ drive pressure and lowered their boost to bring back pressure to a more beneficial #?  Please post your experience.

 

Manimalmother,

 

Looks like you did a nice job.  The more you pull out of that center divider the more the sides can equalize pressure and gate from both sides, but the more it disrupts the pulsing and therefore the spooling of the turbine.  If more power is your goal do aggressive machining  as pictured.  If you want a small reduction in drive pressure/ with less reduction in spool go milder.

 

 

 

Again the machine work looks great.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have everything to monitor drive pressure, but then decided ignorance is bliss and never followed through. 

 

If it gets any more serious than how it currently sits, it’s going to get a 73mm turbine on the s300 and then I’ll be fine. 

Edited by trreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll test drive was an absolute failure.  Half a mile from the house I heard something let go.  The noise it made sounded like a boot getting blown off.  I shut it down and pulled over.  First thing I saw was the large snap ring holding the compressor housing on had let go.  Then I pulled the bhaf off and saw the damage to the wheel.  Not sure what happened first, but she's toast.

IMG_20190406_181341.jpg

IMG_20190406_181338.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...