• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 minutes ago, dieselautopower said:

I will slow your spool up a little as it will reduce the pulsing from the manifold, but EGT at WOT and back pressure will go down.

If you want to enlarge the wastegate passage to relieve additional drive pressure at WOT you may be able to get to 7/8"  IIRC.

Gotcha.  I'll put that on my list.  By the way, I caught my pregnant wife on my security camera.  She stole my hoodie!

Screenshot_20190221-092757.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quadzilla is definitely my next purchase.  My plan was to keep the mechanical gauges just for redundancy.  And they look cool!

What is the effiency range of the hx35?  I can easily hit 40psi with it right now.  Will probably be even easier with the quad.  I see head studs in my future also.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a rebuild kit from DAP for the HX35.  It has a little too much shaft play for my liking.  Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these?  I also ordered a boost elbow and another hoodie lol.  The PO of this turbo cut the wastegate line and hoseclamped a bolt in it to effectively disable the wastegate.  I'm also going to bead blast the exterior of the housings as the PO had tried to paint them.  Anyone ever have any luck painting them or is bare metal best?  I'm going to do the machine work that DAP recommended while it is off.  Looks like the HY is going back on for a week or so.

I have rebuilt the turbo on my old 6.5 chevy diesel a while back.  Nothing about it was over complicated.  Just always be careful of the exposed inducer/exducer fins.  The rest you will find easy enough. 

20 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

I just ordered a rebuild kit from DAP for the HX35.  It has a little too much shaft play for my liking.  Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these?  I also ordered a boost elbow and another hoodie lol.  The PO of this turbo cut the wastegate line and hoseclamped a bolt in it to effectively disable the wastegate.  I'm also going to bead blast the exterior of the housings as the PO had tried to paint them.  Anyone ever have any luck painting them or is bare metal best?  I'm going to do the machine work that DAP recommended while it is off.  Looks like the HY is going back on for a week or so.

A bit of advice from experience.  Not me but someone I know well and many of you here would know if I gave the name.  I won't to protect the guilty.  Make sure the seals face the right direction or you will have a runaway when you fire it off.  Or at least do as my cuz who worked as Service manager at McCoy Feightliner PDX for some years.  He told me SOP for them whenever they do anything with a turbo like that or even changed to a new one it was 2 man job.  One doing the starting and another with a piece of plywood to slam over the turbo intake to stop the runaway if it happens.  Just FYI.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using an HY style non divided gasket.  I bored the wastegate hole to 7/8" all the way through the divider, then milled out about 1" of the divider.  Its all at my uncle's shop getting beadblasted today.  He is ceramic coating the exhaust housing and output and powder coating the compressor housing.  I told him to surprise me on color so it may be interesting.  Going to rebuild the center section today some time.

5 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

I'm using an HY style non divided gasket.  I bored the wastegate hole to 7/8" all the way through the divider, then milled out about 1" of the divider.  Its all at my uncle's shop getting beadblasted today.  He is ceramic coating the exhaust housing and output and powder coating the compressor housing.  I told him to surprise me on color so it may be interesting.  Going to rebuild the center section today some time.

like to see more pictures as you go thanks

Well I got the housings back this evening.  The exhaust side is ceramic coated silver and the compressor housing is powder coated "titanium pearlcoat".  He then masked and did "holset" in gold.  We'll see how it holds up!

IMG_20190325_205831.jpg

IMG_20190325_205836.jpg

Mods to exhaust housing:

Wastegate hole drilled to 7/8" through divider and 1" milled out of flange side divider.

IMG_20190325_210549.jpg

IMG_20190325_210612.jpg

Edited by Manimalmother
  • Like 2